Disney's Dark Kingdom (Complete list on pg 24)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Building a Dark Kingdom is something that undoubtedly captures the imagination of everyone, including Disney execs. I know that I can think of a dozen AWESOME rides and attractions and that's with hardly giving it a thought.

However, it's something that will not be done because it just isn't "Disney." As stated, there is too much fear that those with young families would avoid it and the revenue just wouldn't be there. I think there's also a fear that it would do extremely well, and no one wants the Dark Side to win ... a hugely successful Villain park just isn't "Disney"

I think we're much more likely to see a Marvel Park then a Dark Kingdom and we know how likely a Marvel Park is. I think that (along with money) is the dilema facing Disney execs. IF they had the money and staff to build another park, what would they build?
Marvel's tied up.
Animals have been done.
Movies, done.
Sports, not enough interest and too hard to sell Mickey Bars to healthnuts.
Space, though only partially done, is (sadly) passe and there's a real cool "park" an hour down the road.
Disney Seas ... maybe.
Dark Kingdom, cool, awesome, thrilling, and just not Disney.

I'd have to disagree with this. Disney brass would have to be unusually foolish to make a Villain Park that's actually scary or anti-family. I'm sure that if Disney built this park, it would be no more threatening than any other park. Disney might want to grow the brand, but they know what their bread and butter is.

Yes, I could see some (2 or 3 perhaps) thrill rides that would be aimed at an older crowd (like ToT or the Xtra-terrestrial was), but the majority of the park would show the Villains as comical and bumbling. Trust me, Disney PR would make a Villain's park as must see for kiddies as everything else on property.

Also consider with the "Next-Gen" technology and near-term trials like Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom, the idea that the park visit is also part adventure -- Mickey has recruited you (yes, you!) to infiltrate the villain's park and provide help and information to Mickey's "resistance" against the villains. Imagine your child getting a note in your resort room the next morning (or even a voicemail) from Mickey thanking them for doing X, Y, and Z for him the day before.

I mean, all of this is moot anyway due to practical issues with cost, etc., but if we're forecasting what a distant future 5th gate might be, let's also consider the technology that will go into it. The guest will be as much a part of the story as the attractions and theme elements.

Also consider with the "Next-Gen" technology and near-term trials like Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom, the idea that the park visit is also part adventure -- Mickey has recruited you (yes, you!) to infiltrate the villain's park and provide help and information to Mickey's "resistance" against the villains. Imagine your child getting a note in your resort room the next morning (or even a voicemail) from Mickey thanking them for doing X, Y, and Z for him the day before.

I mean, all of this is moot anyway due to practical issues with cost, etc., but if we're forecasting what a distant future 5th gate might be, let's also consider the technology that will go into it. The guest will be as much a part of the story as the attractions and theme elements.

EXACTLY!

Instead of a park with ONLY villains, imagine a park where heros and villains would battle. Same thrill rides, less scared kids.

EXACTLY!

Instead of a park with ONLY villains, imagine a park where heros and villains would battle. Same thrill rides, less scared kids.

Which is fine, but wouldn't Disney run into having the same franchises they use in other parks represented again in the Dark Kingdom park? (Not that its stopped them before I guess *cough*Finding Nemo*cough*)

Sounds good on paper but I don't see anything in Disney's attraction development history which would suggest such a concept would be approved for an entire park. They don't even have a dark-ish themed land. Attractions which have leveraged such themes over the years have often been phased out: Alien Encounter, Mr. Toad, soon Snow White...just off the top of my head.

Don't really understand why Disney would build a dark villains-themed park and then go out of their way to portray it as accessible to all. It would be another "notazu" fiasco.

If you want a cheery, accessible, family-friendly park...you choose a cheery, accessible, family-friendly theme.

They can kid-ify it all they want but there are many who will recoil at the idea of visiting a park structured around the dark villains of the Disney universe.

I agree that there are people who would avoid such a park. Where I disagree is on how many. I think the number would be statistically insignificant. I personally know vegans (not ALL Vegans) who won't go to AK because they're offended by the idea of animals in captivity. They still go to the other 3 parks, though...

These are the Restaurants I've heard about.

TS = Table Service
CS= Counter Service
CM = Character Meals

Cruella de ville’s - (TS) Mean Street, Dalmatian printed dining room. Has an elaborate fountain in the middle of the restaurant. w/ European style cuisines

Lonesome Saloon - (CS) Ghosttown, A western/ghost themed restaurant owned by four ghosts who appear in reflections throughout the place. w/ burgers, chicken sandwiches, pork sandwich, etc

Be our prisoner - (CM) Witch Way, Dungeon with muck filled stone walls themed after the dungeon Prince charming is put into on Cinderella.

Ursula’s underwater cave - (CS) Witch Way, darkly lit restaurant that consists of purple stalactites and stalagmites all throughout. w/ burgers, steak and cheese, ½ chicken, chicken nuggets, rotisserie chicken, etc

Mermaid lagoon - (CS) Pirates Cove, mermaids swim around on large screens in this shell made restaurant. w/ ribs, pizza, chicken parm, various salads, etc

Brethren court - (CM) Pirates Cove, it looks like a pirate ship with round windows that look out onto the lagoon at a huge octopus. Chandeliers and Candelabras are hanging from the ceiling and along the walls. The chandeliers have cloth drapes hanging on them while the candles have dried drips of wax on each of them.

Frankenweenie - (CS) The Hollow, it looks like a mad scientist lab, w/ hot dogs, corn dogs, chilli dogs, cheese dogs, fried dogs, etc

Monstro - (TS) Villain Ville, eat inside the whale from Pinocchio in table booths that look like boats, w/ fish and chips, chicken fingers, new york strip steak, salmon, etc

I found this image below while searching for info

Hollow_Bastion.jpg

Oh, hey there "Kingdom Hearts" concept art.

I heard that dark kingdom would only operate at night, which is ridiculous, but that's the type of stuff you hear when poking around on the internet.

It's mostly because the rumors of Dark Kingdom often get convoluted with the rumors of Night Kingdom, an equally strange fifth gate that has a nice long Jim Hill media article about it. Personally, I like the version where the entire park would be indoors, consist of nothing but roller coasters, and the "castle" would have been a huge version of the Haunted Mansion.

Personally, I like the version where the entire park would be indoors, consist of nothing but roller coasters, and the "castle" would have been a huge version of the Haunted Mansion.

I've never heard of that one before. It sounds pretty cool, hopefully I can see a villain park before the next decade.

If this rumor is true, it gets my vote. Disney Villains and dark elements are very much a part of Disney heritage. I think it's a great idea! Also, Disneysource, you mentioned an attraction called Boogey Manor. Is this based on the Oogie Boogie from Nightmare Before Christmas, or is it something new?:)

If this rumor is true, it gets my vote. Disney Villains and dark elements are very much a part of Disney heritage. I think it's a great idea! Also, Disneysource, you mentioned an attraction called Boogey Manor. Is this based on the Oogie Boogie from Nightmare Before Christmas, or is it something new?:)

Yep, my Great Uncle whose an imagineer told me about it. It would be like the haunted mansion, but with Oogie Boogie.

I dont' see how anyone can complain about a villain park. If children are too timid to go then that means there's more fun for the mature and older ones.

Yep, my Great Uncle whose an imagineer told me about it. It would be like the haunted mansion, but with Oogie Boogie.

I dont' see how anyone can complain about a villain park. If children are too timid to go then that means there's more fun for the mature and older ones.

I think no one is complaining because it might be scary for kids, It's more based on the fact that they already have more parks than they can maintain well.

Cruella de ville’s - (TS) Mean Street, Dalmatian printed dining room. Has an elaborate fountain in the middle of the restaurant. w/ European style cuisines

Talk about tramautizing the kiddies. "Guess what kids this is all made out of dalmations." It sounds like a good replacement for Tony's in the new kingdom though.

I think no one is complaining because it might be scary for kids, It's more based on the fact that they already have more parks than they can maintain well.

I think its more their choice not to maintain them well rather than ability of any kind.

They're choosing to be too tight on maintenance, cleaners etc to keep costs down.

I think its more their choice not to maintain them well rather than ability of any kind.

They're choosing to be too tight on maintenance, cleaners etc to keep costs down.

That is another valid opinion. Either way the parks are not maintained too well and I believe a 5th one is more than they should handle.

I just came back from a 10 day vacation everyday was supposed to be level 1 days , but looked closer to 8. They need a new park stat.

I think the villans park would be cool. Might tone down on some of the younger kids because they would be too scared that Captain Hook or the evil queen might come around the corner. Mine would love it and would play along with them.

I have heard rumors that Disney was coming to Springfield, Missouri...while that would be closer for me and I could soooo get a quick fix many times a year....the weather sucks and it would be a spring thru fall type of park. I seriously doubt it. Not holding my breath.

I've heard the branson area for years..plenty of room ...not disney related but here's part of the story The mega-mansion wasn't Brad and Angelina’s new fortress of solitude, a military bunker or an extraterrestrial alien colony.

While Pitt did grow up in nearby Springfield, Mo., it turns out that the 72,000-square foot work-in-progress is the future home of software entrepreneur Steven Huff http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/200704/334/
here's the branson link to disney years back

While more Disney is always better in my book, I just don't see a good argument for another full gate. A night kingdom or specialty boutique park, yes, but WDW already got burned twice with that idea, first with Discovery Island and then with Pleasure Island. Sure, neither of them were boutique parks but both were additional places to go offering unique experiences and both failed to meet expectations.

At this point WDW has their hands and budgets full just trying to keep up with their current parks and there's so much room for expansion at each of them. It's not like they can really extend the average person's stay much more - most people get a limited amount of time off from work and a limited amount of money for the same. There's already more to see than time to do it. Plus that park will need all new equipment, transportation, support CMs, etc. SO SO SO much cheaper to just add to the existing parks. Yes, crowds are an issue. But giving them more room to spread out within the four parks will work nearly as well as new gate. MK has all that room in Adventureland, DHS could desperately use a whole new area (I vote for their own Toontown, personally), Epcot could soak up a small nation's worth of guests if they just rehabbed JiI, plussed Living Seas (it seemed cavernous and bare last time I was there), reworked and reopened WoL, and added another country or two. Heck, just JiI would help a lot. AK has room for Avatar (annoyed that's taking over Beastly Kingdom), Australia, and South America if they plan right.

Point being, building out the existing is cheaper, would provide nearly the same return on (a much smaller) budget, and is badly needed besides. Glad to see they are doing that with the FLE and even Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom (small, but great little plus). Now on to the other parks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter