Disney's Dark Kingdom (Complete list on pg 24)

Status
Not open for further replies.
While more Disney is always better in my book, I just don't see a good argument for another full gate. A night kingdom or specialty boutique park, yes, but WDW already got burned twice with that idea, first with Discovery Island and then with Pleasure Island. Sure, neither of them were boutique parks but both were additional places to go offering unique experiences and both failed to meet expectations.

....QUOTE]

These places were killed off they by no means failed.

I just came back from a 10 day vacation everyday was supposed to be 1 level days, but looked closer to 8. They need a new park stat.

Disney would love for it to be a "10" every day of the year, with no discounts or other travel incentives.

Until that happens, don't hold your breath.

A Night Kingdom premium park would fail like The Disney Institute. In my opinion it's a bad, boring idea that only caters to the Four Seasons crowd. I want a real theme park for the 5th.:)

Disney would love for it to be a "10" every day of the year, with no discounts or other travel incentives.

Until that happens, don't hold your breath.

If they want to keep people coming back they have to create a 5th park. They keep making more resorts and rooms, but haven't had a new park in a long time.

If they want to keep people coming back they have to create a 5th park.

WDW attendance isn't going down so people seem to keep coming back without that elusive 5th park.

Universal doubled or tripled its attendance without building a new park.

Sure, attendance is going up, but just barely above last year. If they want a significant increase in attendance, they have to be willing to spend a significant amount of money. I don't believe that people will plan a whole vacation around a few new attractions at the existing parks. The main way to get people excited about WDW again is to add a new park.:)

If they want to keep people coming back they have to create a 5th park. They keep making more resorts and rooms, but haven't had a new park in a long time.

ding ding ding...i think you've tripped over it...

That's exactly what they want. more rooms...larger crowds...same parks...more money.

that is the model. they are happy, and don't really care for your comfort - simply your wallet.

And if they could outsource more food and the hotel operations without any risk of backlash...it would be done in a crappy ESPN commentary minute.

Sure, attendance is going up, but just barely above last year. If they want a significant increase in attendance, they have to be willing to spend a significant amount of money. I don't believe that people will plan a whole vacation around a few new attractions at the existing parks. The main way to get people excited about WDW again is to add a new park.:)

there is nowhere close to the amount of labor available in the orlando area that can be gotten cheaply enough to even consider a fifth park. the construction of animal kingdom, the west side, wide world of sports, and the hotel/dvc explosion of the 1990's pushed the property past the point of critical mass in regards to labor.

that is the roadblock that will stand in the way of any new park. fact of life on the ground...even if nobody seems to notice it during their 7 night "magical" stay.

that about sums it up...i could go into much more detail...but i'd need a slide projector and a laser pointer:wizard::banana::woohoo:

Again, Universal has shown that even modest investments can yield impressive results. Attendance at IoA doubled after they spent $250 million on Harry Potter. Disney is making a similar attempt with Avatar.

Assuming Disney wishes to invest in its theme parks--which they have not always been willing to do--there is plenty of room to expand DAK, DHS and even Epcot without spending $3 billion on an entirely new gate.

I don't see Avatar being a very big success if I'm honest.

Agreed...I see a bump, not a flow of attendance.

I don't thnk anybody really liked avatar enough to go out of their way to travel to see it. But that has been the case with potter.

Avatar is the best of what's out there I guess...but truth be told there would probably a longer, more substantial attendance spike if the just blew up the employee parking lot at studios and built a more significant star wars area.

Even that is a soured brand...but has a loyal fan base that would show up.

...but truth be told there would probably a longer, more substantial attendance spike if the just blew up the employee parking lot at studios and built a more significant star wars area.

Star Wars is such an obvious brand to expand upon that I suspect Lucas is the one preventing that from happening. At the very least he would want dramatically higher licensing fees. Or he could be completely unwilling to allow the SW presence to expand, perhaps wishing to someday develop or license a dedicated SW theme park.

I'm not terribly keen on Avatar either but with a worldwide box office of $2.8 billion, a lot of people sure went to see it. If done properly it could be a fine addition. We'll see...

Again, Universal has shown that even modest investments can yield impressive results. Attendance at IoA doubled after they spent $250 million on Harry Potter. Disney is making a similar attempt with Avatar.

Assuming Disney wishes to invest in its theme parks--which they have not always been willing to do--there is plenty of room to expand DAK, DHS and even Epcot without spending $3 billion on an entirely new gate.

And then there's this...

Why is everyone clamoring for a new Disney park? Their lack of judgement in park construction over the last 20 years makes me doubt that they are even willing or capable of build a full, quality park.

The last Quality park that Disney built and paid for was Eurodisney...everything else since has been half efforts or outright disasters

And then there's this...

Why is everyone clamoring for a new Disney park? Their lack of judgement in park construction over the last 20 years makes me doubt that they are even willing or capable of build a full, quality park.

The last Quality park that Disney built and paid for was Eurodisney...everything else since has been half efforts or outright disasters

And Then

As a consumer I think I would get very upset if they announced a 5th park.

Is it about 4 Billion to build a park, what is a realistic number?

If you take that muber(whatever a real number is to build a new park) and Give 3/8 to AK 3/8 to MGM and split the remaining 1/4 between Epcot and MK(not even an even split). Epcot could fill empty exisiting buildings, MK could concentrate on clean up and repair work. AK and MGM could build new rides and lands/areas. all of the sudden you would have 2 (1/2) day parks turn ito at least full day parks, MK could be "Magical" with to broken AAs(Splash), and Epcot would be jammed pack with stuff to do. All without building a new park.

Don't do a new park. How about put some more kids rides in Hollywood studios? There is only one and the line is always crazy. Animal Kingdom has nothing, Epcot has empty spots, Tomorrowland needs a re-do.

Don't do a new park. How about put some more kids rides in Hollywood studios? There is only one and the line is always crazy. Animal Kingdom has nothing, Epcot has empty spots, Tomorrowland needs a re-do.

First off. Welcome to the forums.

Back on topic. I think most people feel they need more Thrill rides and less kids rides. they have some rides that are thrilling but none of the parks have a real hardcore thrill ride and to someone like me who got started on rides at disney I don't feel a great need to go back. I'd rather spend my money where i can get a much more thrilling experience.

First off. Welcome to the forums.

Back on topic. I think most people feel they need more Thrill rides and less kids rides. they have some rides that are thrilling but none of the parks have a real hardcore thrill ride and to someone like me who got started on rides at disney I don't feel a great need to go back. I'd rather spend my money where i can get a much more thrilling experience.
Kids rides? nah...
Thrill rides? I understand the desire, but not what I think of when I think Disney.
Give me more well done dark rides. I know, I'm living in the past, but that's what I like.

MG

I personally have no problem with Disney adding thrill rides. They obviously know how to make well themed, story laden rides with thrill to boot through Tower of Terror, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, Expedition Everest, and even Summit Plummet if you want to go there. As long as they stick to these guidelines and don't add whole parks/lands devoted to thrill rides, I have 0 problem with Disney building thrill rides geared toward an older audience.

I personally have no problem with Disney adding thrill rides. They obviously know how to make well themed, story laden rides with thrill to boot through Tower of Terror, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, Expedition Everest, and even Summit Plummet if you want to go there. As long as they stick to these guidelines and don't add whole parks/lands devoted to thrill rides, I have 0 problem with Disney building thrill rides geared toward an older audience.

Agreed. From purely a coaster Standpoint RnRC is not special at all. It's basically a stock model. The themeing is what makes it fun and thrilling

WDW attendance isn't going down so people seem to keep coming back without that elusive 5th park.

Universal doubled or tripled its attendance without building a new park.

that is the model. they are happy, and don't really care for your comfort - simply your wallet.

Yeah, but there isn't enough room for people to roam. They have to make people happy or they will go to the competition. There is another great park in the area.

I think whether or not they make a new park there has to be an expansion at Hollywood. Toy Story should double in size and Monsters Inc should have a ride. Perhaps the Monster ride in California should be duplicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter