Disney's POP CENTURY RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staying at pop next week. DH and DS (14) have a soccer game to watch on Thurs, is there anywhere at Pop to watch it?

Can you swim after 10pm when there is no life guard? or is there a locked gate after that point...

After the death of the little boy in March 2013, they are very strict about no swimming after the pool is closed. There are no gates on any of the pools but each pool has a night watchman and they are monitored to ensure no one is swimming without a lifeguard on duty.
The lifeguards duties have changed tremendously since our last trip in 2012. They do not sit any more and every pool has several lifeguards (we saw 4 at the bowling pin pool and 7-8 at the Hippy Dippy pool) on duty at all times. They move up and down the pools continually and never stop moving. Several time during our trip 2 weeks ago, we would get up to walk around the property and get coffee about 6am and all the lifeguards would be in the pool doing drills.
Very impressive and very strict about no swimming without a lifeguard on duty.

After the death of the little boy in March 2013, they are very strict about no swimming after the pool is closed. There is no gates on any of the pools but they are monitored by a night watchman to ensure no one is swimming without a lifeguard on duty.
The lifeguards duties have changed tremendously since our last trip in 2012. They do not sit any more and every pool has several lifeguards (we saw 4 at all times at the bowling pin pool) on duty at all times. And 7-8 at the Hippy Dippy pool) They move up and down the pools continually and never stop moving. Several time during our trip 2 weeks ago, we would get up to walk around the property and get coffee about 6am and all the lifeguards would be in the pool doing drills.

Last October they were doing LOTS of drills while we swam at the 80's pool. It wasn't exactly magical or relaxing, but as a parent it was impressive and reassuring to see how seriously they take their responsibilities and ongoing training.

For our stay in January, I would prefer a room with 2 doubles. Should I call to request that, or just ask when we check-in? I made the reservation through Orbitz, but have a Disney confirmation number. Thanks much.

You can just make sure when you check in that your room has two double beds, as that's the common/standard configuration for most of the rooms. There's only a small selection of rooms with a single king bed, and so it's unlikely you'd be assigned that room without a request -- although it's not impossible I suppose.

My sister and I checked in at ASMu and were given a king room without requesting it. We mentioned we would prefer something else and they found us another room. No big deal.

SPOERLX3 said:
After the death of the little boy in March 2013, they are very strict about no swimming after the pool is closed. There are no gates on any of the pools but each pool has a night watchman and they are monitored to ensure no one is swimming without a lifeguard on duty.
The lifeguards duties have changed tremendously since our last trip in 2012. They do not sit any more and every pool has several lifeguards (we saw 4 at the bowling pin pool and 7-8 at the Hippy Dippy pool) on duty at all times. They move up and down the pools continually and never stop moving. Several time during our trip 2 weeks ago, we would get up to walk around the property and get coffee about 6am and all the lifeguards would be in the pool doing drills.

They may have gotten stricter more recently, but I arrived at the resort just a few days after his death. For months afterwards, they allowed swimming after hours. There were times during the day that there would not be lifeguards on duty at the pool in the 50's section. The "swim at your own risk" sign was posted. And the lifeguards still went off duty prior to pool closing hours.
It is a shame that a child died but according to the reports, it was his fault. He dove into the pool. More than likely, the only thing that could have been done was a lifeguard reprimand him afterwards had he surfaced (and not broken his neck like he "supposedly" did) and had a lifeguard been on duty. I feel sad for those lifeguards! Some have lost their jobs because of the ignorance and stupidity of guests who don't like being told what to do. It's a shame that this all has been spoiled by one incident and one where "supposedly" the parent wasn't watching their own child. :(

They may have gotten stricter more recently, but I arrived at the resort just a few days after his death. For months afterwards, they allowed swimming after hours. There were times during the day that there would not be lifeguards on duty at the pool in the 50's section. The "swim at your own risk" sign was posted. And the lifeguards still went off duty prior to pool closing hours.
It is a shame that a child died but according to the reports, it was his fault. He dove into the pool. More than likely, the only thing that could have been done was a lifeguard reprimand him afterwards had he surfaced (and not broken his neck like he "supposedly" did) and had a lifeguard been on duty. I feel sad for those lifeguards! Some have lost their jobs because of the ignorance and stupidity of guests who don't like being told what to do. It's a shame that this all has been spoiled by one incident and one where "supposedly" the parent wasn't watching their own child. :(

Our prior trip was in 2012, we didn't get to visit in 2013 but when we were there 2 weeks ago and the "POOL CLOSED, NO SWIMMING" signs were posted in several different locations at each pool. I just remember being sooooo impressed with the constant movement up and down the edge of the pool from the time the pool opened to the time it closed.

Can anyone share their thoughts on the in room hair dryers? I know they're the wall ones but I'm trying to avoid another unnecessary item in the suitcase Thanks!

Edit: just saw the earlier post about the new hairdryers. Has anyone used those? Are they guaranteed in every room?

Any tips on making a Pop Century stay with a 15 month old easier? He's stayed 2 nights in other hotels with mixed results. Not sure what to expect for the 9 nights starting next weekend.

For both of our prior trips we set the pack and play for our toddler up in the vanity area and pulled the privacy curtain closed. Since he couldn't see the rest of us, he slept much better than I think he would have in the same room.

We will be arriving for our 1st stay at POP on November 11th - i need some room suggestions on the best locations to be close to a bus stop and close to the food court... Looking forward to our 1st stay here.

We usually stay 50's building 1 first floor which is usually a close choice however a couple weeks ago we were in building 3, room 3258, and it was actually closer. It was on the 2nd floor about 3 rooms down from the stairs at the bowling pin, it was also a standard room so it didn't face the pool. It was a great location. It was literally a 2 sec walk to food court and buses.

We had the dryer on the wall still when we were there last week. I just used that one because I wasn't going to make room for a hair dryer. It took me a bit longer to dry all my hair but I only did that once!

Do you know if you can still get the large pizza, 2 drinks, and 2 desserts for 2 quick service meals on the dining plan? We did this a couple of years ago at another resort but didn't know if they still did that???

Here now - checked in Thursday. Our third stay at Pop. Love our room location - 70s building 10. It's nice and quiet and close to Classic Hall and the bus stops (well, it was until our nephew neighbors arrived today - we have a connecting room and I don't think one of them has an inside voice. Hopefully it wi t be an issue whenim trying to sleep tonight). No issues with buses - have ridden several of the new buses which are really nice. Crowds are about what I was expecting. Weather is warm (YEAH). CMs have been great. Overall having a great time! MNSSHP tomorrow night - our first time attending one of those.

We had the dryer on the wall still when we were there last week. I just used that one because I wasn't going to make room for a hair dryer. It took me a bit longer to dry all my hair but I only did that once!

What building were you in?

Do you need to request a pack and play? My cousin was told there's one in every room. I don't remember ever seeing one so I wanted to check.

Do you need to request a pack and play? My cousin was told there's one in every room. I don't remember ever seeing one so I wanted to check.

You need to request it. There is not one in every room. Put it on your reservation (I think you can add it during online checkin). If there isn't one in your room when you get there, call housekeeping, not the front desk.

TSM said:
Do you know if you can still get the large pizza, 2 drinks, and 2 desserts for 2 quick service meals on the dining plan? We did this a couple of years ago at another resort but didn't know if they still did that???

At POP, to get a pizza you have to use 2 TS credits not CS credits. Not worth it IMO. Pizza wasn't bad there last time I had it, but is WAY CHEAPER to pay OOP for it rather than using TS credits. JMHO

At POP, to get a pizza you have to use 2 TS credits not CS credits. Not worth it IMO. Pizza wasn't bad there last time I had it, but is WAY CHEAPER to pay OOP for it rather than using TS credits. JMHO

Wow! That is a huge rip off. I thought it was quick service credits as well. Thanks for the clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter