Disturbing Story out of Penn State

I think it would all help us out if you could explain, happygirl, just what Mike McQueary did that, in your eyes, makes him a whistle blower? :confused3

He testified in front of the Grand Jury and because of that a lot of the media is calling him a "whistle blower" and saying he filed a "whistle blower lawsuit"
Obviously one can argue whether or not that makes him a whistleblower but everyone else lied
I think a lot of people are letting the fact that he witnessed a rape and did NOTHING, an absolutely disgusting act color their view of the entire situation. There are a lot of sub plots here. Is there a possiblity he was punished by the school for telling the truth on the stand? Sure but he'll have to prove it.
Here's a quote from a reporter covering the trial:

"And at the Sandusky trial, he never overstated what he witnessed. The jury found McQueary so believable they convicted Sandusky of four of the five charged counts, specifically, following McQueary’s testimony. It was his word that even led to the acquitted charge, which would’ve required proof of actual penetration, something McQueary repeatedly said he didn’t see

No, Mike McQueary didn’t do enough to stop Jerry Sandusky. No, he didn’t scream loud enough about what he saw. What he did though was more than any other person at Penn State did for a long time. While McQueary ranks extremely low on the list of victims of the Sandusky case, he was affected.

He’s out of work. He’s out of money. He’s out of his career. He’s out of Penn State’s support system even as the school pays for the defense of Curley and Schultz.

He alleges, in his whistleblower suit, that Spanier’s publicly and privately stated “unconditional support” for Curley and Schultz essentially branded McQueary a liar and ruined him. It claims his employer picked sides and killed his career and reputation. All he's ever done, he said, was tell the truth. And now he's paying for it. "

He testified in front of the Grand Jury and because of that a lot of the media is calling him a "whistle blower" and saying he filed a "whistle blower lawsuit"
Obviously one can argue whether or not that makes him a whistleblower but everyone else lied
I think a lot of people are letting the fact that he witnessed a rape and did NOTHING, an absolutely disgusting act color their view of the entire situation. There are a lot of sub plots here. Is there a possiblity he was punished by the school for telling the truth on the stand? Sure but he'll have to prove it.
Here's a quote from a reporter covering the trial:

"And at the Sandusky trial, he never overstated what he witnessed. The jury found McQueary so believable they convicted Sandusky of four of the five charged counts, specifically, following McQueary’s testimony. It was his word that even led to the acquitted charge, which would’ve required proof of actual penetration, something McQueary repeatedly said he didn’t see

No, Mike McQueary didn’t do enough to stop Jerry Sandusky. No, he didn’t scream loud enough about what he saw. What he did though was more than any other person at Penn State did for a long time. While McQueary ranks extremely low on the list of victims of the Sandusky case, he was affected.

He’s out of work. He’s out of money. He’s out of his career. He’s out of Penn State’s support system even as the school pays for the defense of Curley and Schultz.

He alleges, in his whistleblower suit, that Spanier’s publicly and privately stated “unconditional support” for Curley and Schultz essentially branded McQueary a liar and ruined him. It claims his employer picked sides and killed his career and reputation. All he's ever done, he said, was tell the truth. And now he's paying for it. "

Thanks, Alex, for answering for happygirl.
I know the facts of McQueary's role, but I don't see his actions to be that of a whistleblower.

As others have pointed out, he could have physically stopped an ongoing rape - and he did nothing.

A true whistleblower would have gone, on his own, to the authorities after being initially stymied by Curley, Schultz and Paterno, instead of just going along with the code of silence.

A true whistleblower would have acted out of his conscience - not only when under oath in a grand jury investigation.

In that respect, he is just as guilty as Paterno/Curley/Schultz for keeping Sandusky's actions unreported for such a long time, and allowing him to continue to molest, over and over and over.

Well there's the moral definition and the legal one

In 1986, the Pennsylvania Legislature enacted Pennsylvania’s “Whistleblower Law,” declaring it unlawful for any employer to “discharge, threaten or otherwise discriminate or retaliate” against an employee in compensation or in terms or conditions of employment because the employee has made, or is about to make, a good faith report to the employer or to an “appropriate authority” about an instance of “wrongdoing or waste.” The Act, codified at 43 P.S. § 1421, et seq., also renders it unlawful for an employer to discriminate or retaliate against an employee because he or she has been requested by an appropriate authority to participate in an investigation, hearing or inquiry regarding the employer’s alleged wrongdoing or waste.

When they played this on the national news last night, I literally had to run from the room, it nauseated me so much. Because it would so unDISlike, I won't even repeat what my DH said when Sandusky mentioned that he only had "relations" with his wife in his whole life....

They can't lock him up soon enough IMHO....

Terri

I rarely have very strong feelings one way or another about people I don't even know, but in this case, I feel he is, as a PP mentioned, the Devil incarnate. Lock him up and throw away the key forever.

I got enough of the gist of his statement from the headlines.

I didn't look at the link because his face and his words truly make me sick to my stomach.

Rot in hell, Jerry.

The NCAA has lifted its 4 year post season ban on Penn State after just 2 years of it. They are now eligble for post season play this season. They will also have all their scholarships restored for the 2015. The original ban was to be for 4 years which was started in 2012. I have wonder why after just 2 years it was lifted? Is it just typical NCAA screwiness?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ncaa-lifts-penn-states-bowl-ban-restoring-scholarships-in-2015/

The NCAA has lifted its 4 year post season ban on Penn State after just 2 years of it. They are now eligble for post season play this season. They will also have all their scholarships restored for the 2015. The original ban was to be for 4 years which was started in 2012. I have wonder why after just 2 years it was lifted? Is it just typical NCAA screwiness?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ncaa-lifts-penn-states-bowl-ban-restoring-scholarships-in-2015/

I am stunned. NCAA are idiots.

2 years of bowls games for all the years of abuse the PSU admins and coaches ignored. Yeah, that seems fair.

Look at the other story that came out on this today. The NCAA also stopped fighting for the fine money and will allow it to remain in Pennsylvania.
Here's the issue. They promised this would be a death sentence to Penn State Football and have effects for 10 years etc. etc. That has completely failed. Football at Penn State is doing great. The longer this drags on the more of an embarrassment this is for the NCAA. The NCAA needs this to go away as quietly as possible because they look like idiots.

What a joke! The NCAA barely punishes an institution that allowed sexual abuse of children to continue after they were made aware that these horrendous crimes were taking place. And then they severely punish players at other schools for selling one of their jerseys. This exhibits disturbing priorities at the NCAA.

And to show how Penn State thumbed their nose at everyone else - the new coach they hired, James Franklin, came from a program where four of his former players stand accused of raping and filming the rape of an unconscious coed. The trials are still pending. You would think an unclean program like Penn State would stay away from a coach whose prior program was involved with sex crimes. Penn State obviously has a tolerance for sex crimes against both children an women.

Short take on it is that by removing the penalty, they are no longer punishing individuals that had nothing to do w/the scandal. Others that were involved, even in the periphery, are being punished in a variety of ways.

Short take on it is that by removing the penalty, they are no longer punishing individuals that had nothing to do w/the scandal. Others that were involved, even in the periphery, are being punished in a variety of ways.

I wonder---how much did Penn State--or should I say its boosters--pay to get them out of hot water?

The NCAA is ridiculous.

What a joke! The NCAA barely punishes an institution that allowed sexual abuse of children to continue after they were made aware that these horrendous crimes were taking place. And then they severely punish players at other schools for selling one of their jerseys. This exhibits disturbing priorities at the NCAA.

And to show how Penn State thumbed their nose at everyone else - the new coach they hired, James Franklin, came from a program where four of his former players stand accused of raping and filming the rape of an unconscious coed. The trials are still pending. You would think an unclean program like Penn State would stay away from a coach whose prior program was involved with sex crimes. Penn State obviously has a tolerance for sex crimes against both children an women.
Holy cow. I completely missed that (not being a Penn State fan). I just spent a few minutes refreshing my memory about Franklin. Did you know that he said that he won't hire an assistant until he makes sure he has a hot wife? Somehow that shows 'confidence'. What the heck was Penn State thinking? The fact that they hired Franklin with all his dirty laundry while trying to clean up their own program shows a complete lack of understanding of the culture of rape.

Earlier in this thread I advocated for the "death penalty". Instead Penn State's football program was left in place by the NCAA has now been given time off for good behavior. Or maybe just a lack of outright bad behavior :sad2:. I'm disgusted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter