DL 98 trip report

AngieBelle

<font color=#FF0066>Future Belle on Broadway<br><f
Date: July 25, 1998
Me: Angela, age 16 (at the time of this trip) and a 10 time Disneylander

This was a very special trip for me. It was a meet for the westcoasters from a Disney chat group called Emuck! (an east coast counterpart was held simultaneously at WDW). Emuck Day was an entirely new experience for me, and it was all made possible by 2 emuckers, Chuck and Melenie. You see, I was visiting old friends and family in Los Angeles, and my parents promised me a day at DL while we were there. Emuck Day was on a Saturday, but my parents didn't want to go on the weekend because of the crowds, so Melenie and Chuck offered to take me to DL and provide my entrance. Melenie works at the Disney Studios and got me a complementary pass to use on Emuck day! When my parents double checked that Melenie was honest by calling the studios and asking if she really worked there, I got permission to go! I ended up going on 2 different days, once with my family and once with emuckers. The day before, my family and I met Melenie and Chuck at the studios and ate at the commissary there! We even got a brief tour of the place which I had never seen despite living in Burbank until I was 10.

At 6:30 the next morning, Melenie drove by to pick me up from my aunt's house where I was staying while in LA- by far the earliest I had ever gotten up for a Disney park! Once at the gates, we met up with a few other Emuckers (I was the only kid). I really liked being there at the park's opening- one of many firsts for me that day. Several characters were out greeting people as they entered.

Once we entered the park, we headed off to City Hall because Chuck and Melenie wanted to sign up for the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour. I debated over joining them but finally opt for using that time to go off on my own.

We then went to the plaza for a character breakfast (another first I've always wanted to do). I loved it! In between getting food and everything, I greeted some of the characters and got autographs- something I never did as a little girl and only just started doing the year before. Who says the characters are just for kids? Minnie curtsied to me, and Mickey had me kiss his nose. Goofy sneaked up on Melenie (a big kid at heart, especially at DL) and first scared her half to death but then pretended to propose to her! She said she was already married and that her husband was outside so Goofy took off with her, and they ran around the building together! LOL! Then one of the other emuckers mentioned that I was single, and Goofy came over to me acting all shy then gave me a hug. For me, the highlight of the character greeting was getting to sing a little of "A Spoonful of Sugar" for Mary Poppins. She was so thrilled she asked me to sing it again for Eeyore! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

After breakfast, Chuck and Melenie and I got in line for Indiana Jones, one of my favs, and when we got off the ride, they went for the tour while I did some solo exploring until around one in the afternoon. During that time, I rode Roger Rabbit's car toon spin, Thunder Mt., Storybook canals (which I haven't been on in years), and took my first ride on the Columbia. I also attended a Belle storytelling in Tinkerbell's Toy Shoppe which I really enjoyed. It was very cute, and she was just great with the little kids. Her assistant threw plushes from the shelves on Belle as she described the wolf attack scene. LOL! Afterwards, I waited while Belle greeted children, then approached her with a drawing of Belle I did especially for her. She loved it! She told me that she only received a few of that type of thing and thought mine was the best. She said it really meant a lot to her, and she sounded genuinely touched. I wore a Belle necklace that day, and she got a big kick out of it.

I met back up with everyone for lunch at the Golden Horseshoe, and after waiting for a while we saw Billy Hill and the Hill Billies- a very funny act, though I felt sorry that I had missed the original revue there. Melenie is good friends with the Hill Billies, and got us a table right up front. At one point in the show, the lead Billy scared Melenie by letting out a yell right in her face. I was told he had done this to her many times, and she always fell for it! When the show was over, I sped off to Fantasyland to meet Mulan before she left. I got her autograph and gave her her own drawing which she liked, and she told me I was talented.

Next, we went to Tomorrowland to check out the soft opening of Innoventions. Innoventions is alright, but I didn't find it too special. We watched a little show about technology hosted by a very enthusiastic CM. However, the best part of this little excursion was when a CM noticed our Emuck day badges and became quite interested that we had previously only known each other through the internet. He asked if we would give him feedback on a demonstration that had to do with the internet. In exchange, we got to do the GM virtual reality car thing without waiting 35+ minutes in line!

I went seeking Ariel's autograph, then we all went up into the Disney Gallery above Pirates- yet another first for me. Melenie bought some stuff, and we took the monorail to the Disneyland Hotel. Believe it or not, it was my first time for both. It took forever because everyone seemed to have chosen to take the monorail at the same time. We chatted at a table by the hotel for a while and had something to drink. We had planned on connecting to emuck to meet with those in Florida, but alas, the business center closed at 5 and it was too late. Melenie took a picture of us deliberately not smiling to show how unhappy we were about that. We looked at some shops for a little while, then returned to the parks. We got a great view of the Mulan parade from the monorail.

While everyone else chose to have dinner in Tomorrowland, I decided that I wasn't really that hungry, so I literally ran after the Mulan parade down Main Street to see more of it and attempted to get some pictures of Mulan and Shang in the final carriage. (they ended up blurry though because it was too dark.) My friends were still eating when I returned so I caught a ride on Star Tours. After dinner, Melenie and the others wanted to go see "Honey I Shrunk the Audience". Since I had already seen that the other day when I went with my parents and wasn't interested enough in seeing it again so soon, Chuck offered to take me on any ride I chose. I picked Peter Pan because I hadn't been on it in several years, and it's my fav Fantasyland dark ride. By that time, it was late, so everyone split for the last time. Melenie, Chuck, and I stopped quickly in the shops. I wanted to buy a Belle wallet that I had seen in one of the hotel shops, but I couldn't find it. Chuck promised he would pick it up for me the next time he and Melenie were there. I finally got it in the mail a few months ago. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I was very sad and wept briefly as we stepped out into the parking lot and left Disneyland for what would be my last trip there for a long time since I started college last fall.

beauty-beast04.gif
AngieBelle

Hey Angie - what a wonderful day at DL - and with internet friends to boot. Thanks for posting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter