• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DLR Half-Marathon 2013. Who else is going?!?!

:cool1: Glad you didn't hit the ground.

I was running with my mom (DDD), and within the first mile of the 10K a reflector took her down. She got up, washed off the blood and finished. I am very proud of her.

On another note, I was so disappointed with how the merch was handled. We are not able to hit up the expo till Friday night, due to work. The only DDD stuff left was the lime green sweatshirts. I did purchase one, but I would have really liked a magnet and an "I did it" shirt. I have them from all the other Disney runs I have done. When you look on Ebay, the magnets are going for like $25, and there are several I did it shirts.

As much as I hate to say/type it. Maybe they shouldn't sell the merch (like the I did it shirts), unless you can prove you did it or are doing it. My mom ended up with nothing but the medals (which is very impressive), and surely would have spent money on the magnets and shirts. I know I would have easily dropped money on the merch, had it been there. I feel bad for the people who couldn't make the expo till Saturday, due to work or other issues, and the limited choices. There has to be a way to correct this.

I will step down off my soap box now.

Doesn't Disney's online store have a section of merchandise that is only purchasable if you are a D23 member? Why couldn't they do something similar? Have some available at the expo and some available online, where you have to enter your registration confirmation number (or something similar) in order to check out. That would make the expo less of a head ache for the runners and less of a zoo for runDisney (and a better PR move, if you ask me...)

:cool1: Glad you didn't hit the ground.

I was running with my mom (DDD), and within the first mile of the 10K a reflector took her down. She got up, washed off the blood and finished. I am very proud of her.

On another note, I was so disappointed with how the merch was handled. We are not able to hit up the expo till Friday night, due to work. The only DDD stuff left was the lime green sweatshirts. I did purchase one, but I would have really liked a magnet and an "I did it" shirt. I have them from all the other Disney runs I have done. When you look on Ebay, the magnets are going for like $25, and there are several I did it shirts.

As much as I hate to say/type it. Maybe they shouldn't sell the merch (like the I did it shirts), unless you can prove you did it or are doing it. My mom ended up with nothing but the medals (which is very impressive), and surely would have spent money on the magnets and shirts. I know I would have easily dropped money on the merch, had it been there. I feel bad for the people who couldn't make the expo till Saturday, due to work or other issues, and the limited choices. There has to be a way to correct this.

I will step down off my soap box now.

Wow, way to go to your Mom! We are selling all three of my tech shirts as medium (which is usually the right 'male' size for me) are too large and I am trying to win one small on ebay. I don't see any Dumbos but I like the half one as well so we will see! Hopefully I make enough from selling the three to afford one that I can wear..!! :banana:

I think the only way around this issue is to limit the number of items. I saw way too many people with armfuls of shirts, that is why they sell out and that is why they can be on ebay within the hour. If they limited the number of items people would not be able to do this and more people could get what they want. They also could do a pre-order online for expo pick-up. I think this would be an awesome option, especially for anyone who can't make it to the expo right at open. Again they can limit the number of items and make you pay online - much like the commemorative pins and ears.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

YES. There is one on ebay that is selling every size of the green hoodie. So sad... :sad2:

Doesn't Disney's online store have a section of merchandise that is only purchasable if you are a D23 member? Why couldn't they do something similar? Have some available at the expo and some available online, where you have to enter your registration confirmation number (or something similar) in order to check out. That would make the expo less of a head ache for the runners and less of a zoo for runDisney (and a better PR move, if you ask me...)

They could, but why bother? They are making the same $$ with less effort - keeping D23 people happy = yearly subscribers. Many marathoners are infrequent or one and done types. Dumbo sold out in record time - even if there are unhappy people, they will have no issues selling out the race in record time again next year. There are no limits to D232 members either, so no one is really being locked out of forking over their money for the merch. :teacher:

Bumping~
Anyone else have experiences to share?
Anyone know of any blogs written on the DL 1/2 Weekend events?
Would love to read more about it~

:)

My family ran as part of Team Muscle Makers for UCMD. It was a GREAT weekend. My daughters and SIL ran the 10K, my mom ran the 5K. None of our family is up for the half yet, but my oldest daughter says 2015 will be her year to run a half. Everyone is signed up for the Tink!!

Here's mine!

The other recaps are there too. 10k and kids races!

They made a new corral?! I KNEW something was off about the timing for D! And there were SO many E's (and even F's) that were somehow ahead of me after I made an all too brief stop at carsland for some needed potty time that I was truly disheartened and so sad (already) and how slow I was going that I was already being lapped so badly. I had no idea... its such a mental thing for me, doing well, I just... ooooh that makes me so :sad1:! I wish I had somehow known not to feel bad so I could have stayed positive and done better! :sick:

Oh I'm sorry! But yes, there were Gs and Fs even standing next to the new Ds when we took off. So no, they weren't passing you. They started in front of you.

Oh I'm sorry! But yes, there were Gs and Fs even standing next to the new Ds when we took off. So no, they weren't passing you. They started in front of you.

My husband said not to worry about it, that they must have, but there were SO many, and for the Tink/W+D they checked bibs so I thought there was no way it could be that... :headache:

My husband said not to worry about it, that they must have, but there were SO many, and for the Tink/W+D they checked bibs so I thought there was no way it could be that... :headache:

It was just a bottleneck of people. No where to move us. Craziness!

It was just a bottleneck of people. No where to move us. Craziness!

Oh I know, I was stuck in it too! That's part of why I am so saddened by this - the lady at D would NOT let us enter - she kept telling us to go back further so we surfed back up about 1/3 of the way and jumped the orange barriers! We spent a good chunk of money on a 10K prior to move up into D and I was NOT about to go back further when in reality I should have just stayed put in the middle or with my original assignment as I was pushed back anyway! :mad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter