Do Canadians get a text when their room is ready?

ontdvc2015

Earning My Ears
I just did the online check in for our trip that is less than a month away and I saw where you put in a phone number to get a text when your room is ready that it says it has to be a US phone number. Has anyone had experience with this? Do they send us a text even though we aren't American and we haven't gotten our magicbands yet?

Last time we stayed at AKV we didn't show up until after the 4:00 check in time so this is all new to us.

On a side note, I can't believe its already less than a month until we arrive. We are staying at BLT for the first time (second DVC trip) and sooooo looking forward to it.

WDW will not call or text international phone numbers. We have been many times and even giving them permission to text gets us nothing. I have never received an email either but we like to go to the checkin desk and say hello, we usually want to get magic bands and request extra coffee, etc.

WDW will not call or text international phone numbers. We have been many times and even giving them permission to text gets us nothing. I have never received an email either but we like to go to the checkin desk and say hello, we usually want to get magic bands and request extra coffee, etc.

How do they know if it's an international number? I guess they could check the area code, but that would be a pretty lengthy list.

My guess is that they won't send a text to a Canadian Resident, no matter what number you give them. I've given them a US number a couple of times (travel SIM) - never gotten a text message.

Checked in the the G.F.V.'s this past Sunday. Never received a text and questioned them as to why when we did finally receive our room. They said it's because of the "International" number. However, when waiting for restaurant reservations this week, we did in fact receive texts saying our table was ready.

We checked in at the front desk in the morning but our room wasn't ready so we gave both a text and e-mail address and said we'd prefer e-mail. We never got any message. We had to pick up our luggage from bell services when we returned to the hotel a few hours later and it took less than a minute for them to check our room number. They said that they'd sent a message to us but we never received it. We'd received our magic bands when we originally checked in so that's all we needed. A friend of ours (who is from the US) got her texts right away. I can understand not sending texts to an international number but an e-mail isn't affected by that so I don't know why we didn't get one.

Specifically ask for an email. We had three check-ins where they were certain we had been texted but we received nothing. This morning we specified email only. Received an email right after we checked in saying the room was not ready and then another when the room was ready. If you do not get the first email right away I would go back and check that they have you set up properly.

When we traveled with a US phone number we received the texts. Now that we are using 'roam like home' so a Cdn # we are not getting them. The issue seems to be that their system sends a text but it does not go to non US #s and they have no feedback that it was not received.

Our friends asked for a text and never got it. They went to have lunch and play in the pool, after a while she went to front desk to check. Room was ready, she asked why she hasn`t gotten a text and that`s when they realized she was from Canada and they told her that international texts don`t work.

I got an email when were were on Magical Express to the resort from MCO.

Never got a text or an email, once when we arrived and our room wasn't ready, they gave us a puck (like you get at restaurants when waiting for a table) which lit up when our room was ready.

How do they know if it's an international number? I guess they could check the area code, but that would be a pretty lengthy list.

My guess is that they won't send a text to a Canadian Resident, no matter what number you give them. I've given them a US number a couple of times (travel SIM) - never gotten a text message.
They don't have to know. International texting is an extra cost feature for most American providers, and I expect Disney does not subscribe to the service. It would be their SMS messaging provider that is blocking, not Disney itself, although if Disney would pay the upgrade they could send. IMO, speaks to Disney's general cheapness around communications technology, like not providing 800 numbers to people who are calling them to shell out thousands of $$ for a vacation.

They don't have to know. International texting is an extra cost feature for most American providers, and I expect Disney does not subscribe to the service. It would be their SMS messaging provider that is blocking, not Disney itself, although if Disney would pay the upgrade they could send. IMO, speaks to Disney's general cheapness around communications technology, like not providing 800 numbers to people who are calling them to shell out thousands of $$ for a vacation.

I always receive a text from the Grand Floridian restaurants. Never receive a text when my room is ready. Both just happened last week.

Just checked into ASM and our room wasn't ready. 10 minutes later we got an email telling us our room was ready.

When we did a split stay over holidays, we received an email from Old Key West saying our room was ready beforehand we arrived at the resort. But when we switched to SSR we did not receive anything.

I just did the online check in for our trip that is less than a month away and I saw where you put in a phone number to get a text when your room is ready that it says it has to be a US phone number. Has anyone had experience with this? Do they send us a text even though we aren't American and we haven't gotten our magicbands yet?

Last time we stayed at AKV we didn't show up until after the 4:00 check in time so this is all new to us.

On a side note, I can't believe its already less than a month until we arrive. We are staying at BLT for the first time (second DVC trip) and sooooo looking forward to it.

100% of the time we have not received a text (10+ times) and do not rely on this system at all. Call.

I have received a text with room but when I have delined magic bands and given a US cell number.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter