Do people actually walk during 10k races?

Tons of people walk in all race distances. My DD will be running Dopey in January. Her plan is to walk the full 5k & 10K routes saving herself to run/walk the half and full. Of course she's 18 so her "walk" is at a pace that will allow her to enjoy a photo stop or two.

The thing I love most about RunDisney events (from a runners mom's point of view) is that every one is super supportive. Yes you have the elite runners going at amazing paces and the people that struggle to finish right before the balloon lades with everything in-between. Yet everyone is supportive of everyone getting across that finish line.

I used to always worry as my dd started running longer distances on her own but quickly realized that a RunDisney event there is always someone to give her an encouraging word along the way.

Lots of people walk during every distance of every race. Run the race you train for and your training can absolutely include walking. Rundisney involves the chance to stop for character photos, so I doubt anyone will look down on you for walking when many of even the most "serious runners" will stop for minutes to get an awesome pic with Mickey :)
Also a lot of people run disney races on tired park legs that enjoy walk breaks (I can attest to this.)
If you decide you'd like to try to run a race straight, there's lots of folks who will help on the running thread.

You still have lots of time to build up endurance too, so you may be surprised how over time you will be able to run longer and longer. Especially if you slow down for some of your training runs.

I have run the same 2 miles every morning for the past 20 years🤣

As you start a training plan you’ll likely find that you’ll need to not run every day. My brother runs every day, and he’s breaking down big time at this point. And he’s younger and overall fitter than I am.

Wait, so if you are a little slower than 16 minutes per mile, you think you can still finish and not be taken off the course? What do you think the absolute slowest would be?

Solely dependent on what corral you’re in and where you start in the corral (they have multiple waves of starting within each corral).

Train for 16. Wait. No. Train for 15 so you can have bathroom breaks. If you’re assigned to the last corral, go there early so you’re in the front of your corral, rather than back with the balloon ladies. That gives you leeway.

I don’t do character photos. The one I did, I waited 20 minutes for, it destroyed my time )m(which is slow enough), I lost my mojo, and never even looked at the photo.

And fwiw i started running again at 40+, I’m slow, and I use Galloway’s method, and I’ve never once seen a balloon lady, and I’ve been doing rundisney events since 2013.

As you start a training plan you’ll likely find that you’ll need to not run every day. My brother runs every day, and he’s breaking down big time at this point. And he’s younger and overall fitter than I am.
I run everyday to burn the junk food calories off that I eat🤣. It took me 18 months to lose my baby weight from baby number 2, no way do I want to gain any of it back!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter