Do you agree with the 50-100 day window for best airfares?

I've always got the cheapest flights booking around 5-6 months or more out. I guess it's the time of year I fly and where I fly to and where I fly out of, but the fares never get cheap. I bought flights for WDW 2 weeks ago the day they were released on SW for our November trip and the price keeps going up. Last April I bought our flights for our August DR trip on AA. Flights never got cheaper. They just kept going up. No one wanted to buy when I bought because they said they would get cheaper (group trip). Well I paid $470 PP. Most people paid about $600 PP or more.

We just returned from our trip to MCO from Philly. We originally booked on day one of Southwest schedule opening and paid $90 each way, which we thought was a decent price. Over the next few months we rebooked a couple times until finally getting it down to $25 each way. Of course, we adjusted the times a bit, leaving a bit later to get to Disney, and a late morning return flight, but we couldn’t pass it up.

That’s why we like flying Southwest so we can get the low airfare and credit if the price comes down. Now my dilemma, another trip to Disney before the credit expires, or should I be nice and plan a trip to Atlanta to see the Phillies play for dear hubby?

So, we are taking that extra Disney trip next Saturday. I waited and waited until Southwest's prices came down, and about a month ago booked round trip for $138 each. Cost of only $16 total, but the cheap price down from Philly was late in the evening. I kept checking and about two weeks later the 11:25 am flight came down in price, but cost an additional seven bucks. Finally the first flight out went down on Friday and I grabbed it. Price was actually lower but since I was already using a credit I can't use those funds.

My point is, just keep checking, it only takes a few minutes and can be really worth the time. And if you book SWA and the price lowers, use that credit for another trip!

With one exception my experience with South West is the rate you first get when the window opens is the best you will get.

Bill From PA

Depends...One of the flights I booked on Southwest for August back in February is now showing as sold out, so you can't wait too long.

I generally wait. I find better prices on jetblue as the dates get closer. But knowing your prices is helpful and it depends how many seats you need. I don’t travel during holidays.

Seems like the big 4 are cheaper the further out you book. Looks like the cheaper airlines like Frontier will basically give away seats 2 weeks out if the flight isn't full. Average the 2 together, and you get 54 days. I'm more of a 4-6 month out flight booking person and get decent rates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter