Do you buy your daughter/DIL a gift for mother's day if they have children?

karensi

My Family and Disney are my two favorite things!
I usually, actually I think always, buy my 2 daughters gifts for Mother's Day. They each have children (my DGC) and they're both extra good Moms.
I can't think of what to get them this year for Mothers Day and it made me start to wonder if others even do buy gifts for their DD/DDIL on Mother's Day.

I don't have adult children but my mom buys me a Mothers Day gift since i had kids

My MIL always gave me a small gift and a card. It was such a nice treat to have her recognize me as a good mother to her grandchildren...

My own kids aren't old enough to be married, but I will give something to my future DIL's and to my DD when they get to that stage of life.

I also send mother's day cards to my sisters -- and I get a small gift for a friend who is a single mom and doesn't get much in the way of appreciation day-to-day. I figure it never hurts to tell someone that they're loved and appreciated -- even if they're not MY mom.

Last edited:
My MIL does not. My mother sometimes (not every year) gives my sister & me something small like a candle or kitchen towel or similar.

If I'm going to see my sister on Mother's Day, I will usually get her something.

In the future after our kids are married w/ children of their own, I do plan to give my daughter & my sons' wives gifts on Mother's Day (& will get my sons & son-in-law something on Father's Day as well).

We always have gifts for both of our mothers on Mother's Day - I usually get both my mother & DH's mother the same thing.

I usually, actually I think always, buy my 2 daughters gifts for Mother's Day. They each have children (my DGC) and they're both extra good Moms.
I can't think of what to get them this year for Mothers Day and it made me start to wonder if others even do buy gifts for their DD/DDIL on Mother's Day.

I am this year, from the baby, because SoIL#2 is deployed and DD#2/GS#2 are living here with us. He is out training right now, with no internet access, so he can't shop. I'm getting a card, having baby sign, and a small gift; probably some bath bombs or something.

Last year, he was in a different training, but had internet access, so bought her some cute jewelry and sent flowers.

ETA: I don't expect gifts from my kids. I've always told them the best gift they can give me is to be happy and healthy. DH sometimes brings home flowers for me for MD, but usually not.

That is sweet!

We used to do gifting in the old days with my mom. Now we just send cards.

I don't have adult children yet, but my mom and MIL usually get me a card and maybe a potted plant for the yard. Nothing big, just a small gift that says "you're a good mom". It is never expected on my end, but always appreciated!

I never have and I honestly never even considered it. I buy for my mom and my MIL every year (neither ever bought me anything on mother's day). I didn't know it was a thing for moms to buy for their daughters/dil. My son in law buys for my daughter every year right now while the kids are all young which is what my hubby always did for me (once we weren't too poor anyway! LOL)

My mom does not get me a gift but she does pay for dinner when her and my grandmother come for their annual mother's day weekend visit. My DD is pregnant so I will get her a gift this year. But...I can't decide between an elective 3D ultrasound or a prenatal massage.

Nobody has ever given me a Mother's Day gift except my DH and children. My MIL doesn't even recognize my birthday (although she sends DH and all the kids a card and a check for their birthdays). In their family you are not a party of the family if you marry into it, but that's a complaint for another day.

My parents don't give me anything and I wouldn't expect it. My ex doesn't give me anything either (that's a whole 'nother story.

My mother does for her DIL's that have kids. Then she feels guilty that she didn't get anything for Mrs. Homie (who doesn't have kids), and we tell her it's OK, and she cries, and it's a whole thing. Hooray for Mother's Day.

Last edited:
My mother didnt, but my dad did give me a card or something for Mother's Day. I give my dd something as well.

My daughters don't have any kids. Yet.

My mother and ex-MIL would send me a card and sometimes a plant for my garden or other small gift.

ExH still sends a card even though we've been divorced for over 10 years now.

My mother does not give me anything for Mother's Day. My MIL doesn't either, but she doesn't even acknowledge any of her grandchildren's birthdays, graduations, Bar Mitzvahs, etc either (or even her own son's birthday, for that matter).

If/when my children have kids, I plan on celebrating and acknowledging on Mother's and Father's Day (both my own children and their spouses) with a gift or experience together.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter