Do you buy your daughter/DIL a gift for mother's day if they have children?

My husband decided that Saturday was Mother's day of grown ups, and Mother's Day was all about me, the mother of a small child. When our son was small, it would be a day of no bottles or diapers. Now it is about whatever I want to do. Generally a board game like Catan and meals that I don't have to make. If/when our son is married and has children, Mother's day will be all about daughter in law.

This year will be especially hard. I lost my mom six years ago, this Mother's day.

I'm so sorry to hear its a hard day for you.

But I love Catan and hope you can get some good memories out of every time you play it!

I am an Aunt to 7 kids with 3 Moms between them. I always worked with the kids make something special for the Moms when the kids were young (15 and under). Some things we did included: t-shirts with the kids handprints, mugs with their photos on them, decorated potted planters, painted garden stones. It was always something crafty and personalized that my brothers would not have done. (They are the card with gift card types). I know my SILs appreciated it and the kids were always so proud of what they made. My Mom is 82 and I still give her a gift every year.

We don't really do Mother's Day (or Father's Day). Neither my daughter nor my daughter-in-law have children yet, so I don't know if I'll do anything for Mother's Day for them, but it will be really low-key if I do.

My mom always gives me an angel ornament since all of our babies are angels

:hug: to you. That is very sweet of your mother.

I don't have daughters or daughters-in-law, but my mom and I send each other cards, usually the "special intention" ones from church, and my mother-in-law and I just text.

Original poster here :wave2:. I have to say I first posted this hoping to maybe get some ideas on what to get my 2 DDs for Mothers Day. But this thread turned into so much more for me. I loved reading everyone's story, some funny, some happy and some sad but all so interesting. Still don't know what to get my DDs but keep the posts coming. I love reading them!

And Happy Mother's Day to all the Mom's out there in DISboard Land :flower3:

Last edited:
Original poster here :wave2:. I have to say I first posted this hoping to maybe get some ideas on what to get my 2 DDs for Mothers Day. But this thread turned into so much more for me. I loved reading everyone's story, some funny, some happy and some sad but all so interesting. Still don't know what to get my DDs but keep the posts coming. I love reading them!

And Happy Mother's Day to all the Mom's out there in DisBoard Land :flower3:
If I got them anything it would have been a card and then only when they were new mothers. That ship sailed a long time ago. My mother has passed away, my wife has passed away. Those would have been the only two that I would feel obligated to give a gift too. My daughters both have their own families and their own children. She (both of them) are their children's Mothers, not mine. My mother was my mother. My wife was my children's mom, I had a hand in it, so to speak, but, I'm not taking any credit, but I did give her gifts (until we divorced) for taking good care of and birthing my children.

Nope. My mom doesn't give me anything and imho, nor should she. She's my mom, so it's my responsibility to give to her.

She'll tell me Happy Mother's Day, but that's it! Good enough for me.

My mom sends me a card and I send her and grandma a card. MIL doesn't do anything but she expects dh to do something for her. Meanwhile I expect dh to be the default parent and get the kids out of the house, answer to their needs and if he doesn't, I will make myself scarce and spend some time shopping. Between work and home, this mama needs a day off from time to time

My in-laws bought me a piece of birthstone jewelry when each of my kids was born & gave it to me in the hospital. My mother-in-law always sends me something for Mother's Day, too. I know my mom always sent my sister-in-law something.

No. DH's daughters are grown with families of their own (7 Gkids between them!); :confused3it actually never occurred to me to get them a gift. Our own Moms are both gone now - they were always our focus on Mother's Day. I miss you, Mom! :littleangel:

My MIL would get me a card every year and I appreciated that small gesture so much. :) I miss getting cards from her. :(

My mother gets me a card and a small gift since I became a mother. My daughter is still a teen, but I plan on doing a small gift and card for her if and/or when she becomes a mother.

Nobody has ever given me a Mother's Day gift except my DH and children. My MIL doesn't even recognize my birthday (although she sends DH and all the kids a card and a check for their birthdays). In their family you are not a party of the family if you marry into it, but that's a complaint for another day.
:sad2:

I always give my stepdaughters a gift card for Mother's Day. Usually from Nordstrom for $100 each. I've asked my husband not to get me anything Any more but he usually does. We take our daughters and grand kids out to brunch every year at our club...that's a lot of money so that's more than enough for me. My stepdaughters usually get me a small gift although I would be happy with just a card.

My mom sends me a nice card. My mil (who has passed) didn't, but that was totally fine with me, and I never expected it or thought she should. I figured my mom did because she was my mom. Of course we always got (get) my mom and mil very nice gifts.

My first mothers day, dh wanted to have everyone over our house (dd was about 7 months), so we did. I had mistakenly thought dh would do most of the work (or at least some), but it was like every other day to him. I had to do absolutely everything. That was enough for me. After that, I put my foot down and we went somewhere for the day (a nice, local park, etc) and had dinner/gifts for mil and my mom on the Friday and Saturday before. A couple of times in there, we went to MIL's house on the day, which was fine. As long as I got some of the Mother's Days, I was happy. A couple of times we flew to disney on mother's day!! This year we're flying to Florida to go to our new house (we close this coming Friday, will fly down Sunday).

The worst is when you're the in law and all the girls get something and you don't have kids because of the MIL's son's fertility issues. Sucks on so many levels.

Mother's Day was really hard when we were struggling with infertility. But honestly, I never expected (or wanted) a gift.

Mother's Day was really hard when we were struggling with infertility. But honestly, I never expected (or wanted) a gift.

TMI: I didn't really want a kid; if I was really honest with myself; I never had before or since. I'm pretty sure it was one of those save the marriage things, or I was supposed to do it or whatever. IDK, it was an abusive, ugly situation I shouldn't have stayed in as long as I did and I was a hot mess. The ex MIL just tried to get under my skin and it often worked. I'm SO glad to never have to deal with those people ever again:) Mother's day this year, I have a reservation for an amazing brunch in town at a place she loves and I found summer versions of her favorite leather ballet flats and they'll be here Monday - Tuesday. Being with MY mom on mother's day is the best!

I hope all the awesome DIS mom's get just as spoiled and honored as I (hope I) do for my mom.

Mother's is always best for their child. She brought you into this world.so, Mum always deserves the best gifts!. My mom sends me a letter with a beautiful flower bouquet. the kid's handprints paint, mugs with their photos on them, personalized gift, a care package with a fruit basket.

We weren't able to have any kids, so I don't really know if my mom or MIL would have given gifts or not. I get gifts for my mom, Step-mom and MIL for Mother's Day. My DH knows that not being a mom has been very hard for me, so he always gets me a gift and signs the card from the cats since I am their mom :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter