Do You Do More for Your Children Than Your Parents Did for You?

My mom, no. She was retired by the time we had kids, and would basically drop everything if we needed help. She attended all sporting events and school events our kids were a part of. And if we went out of town, she actually ASKED it if was okay to come over and play with the cat and scoop the litterbox!
My MIL, yes. She didn't have a lot of time for my wife when she was growing up. But my wife says her mom did a lot more with our kids that she did with her. She attended most school and sporting events the kids were involved in
My FIL yes, just because he was 1,500 miles away, but if he had been closer I suspect he would have been happy to help out.
My dad passed away when I was 9, so didn't have a chance to be involved in my kids lives.

I think we are pretty similar to how my DH grew up, maybe slightly fancier stuff, but generally someone cooks and cleans for them, organizes extra curricular activities, takes them on vacation, saves for their college...

I grew up with next to nothing and very independent. Doing my own cooking and cleaning. Figuring out how to get driving lessons or make doctor appointments or pay taxes on my own. No one held my hand financially or emotionally.

Both DH and I grew up to be good people. However, I have a lot more self doubt, insecurity, and worry.

Although, I do worry about "spoiling" our kids and them not being independent enough.

ETA: My DH also grew up in a two parent household while my dad abandoned me (along with his family). My kids have two stable parents...even if we weren't together, there is no way DH would abandon them (and my in-laws are always there as well)

How did you not ever buy anything? I had never done laundry, done any cleaning except vacuuming and dusting (which I got paid for), had never grocery shopped, but I went plenty of places with my friends, mall, restaurants, away for the weekend...

We weren't allowed to do anything like that when I was at home - no going to the mall, anywhere in the car with another person, and we certainly weren't allowed to go away on our own. We were allowed to go to church youth group and youth retreats, but you don't really buy anything at those types of events. When I went out to anywhere where shopping was an option I was always with my parents.

We weren't allowed to do anything like that when I was at home - no going to the mall, anywhere in the car with another person, and we certainly weren't allowed to go away on our own. We were allowed to go to church youth group and youth retreats, but you don't really buy anything at those types of events. When I went out to anywhere where shopping was an option I was always with my parents.
I think doing too much can be just as bad as doing too little. I subscribe to the philosophy of benign neglect.

Activitywise, I definitely do more with my kids. I take my kids to more events and activities than my parents did. My parents never took me to things like movies and shows. My brother is 7 years older and took me to more places when he was a teen. Whenever we did go places it usually involved going with other friends or neighbours.

I did go on vacations including to Spain several times but they always involved visiting family. We never went on vacation just with our immediate family.

My mom waa definitely a better cook than I am.

Yep, but that wouldn't be hard to do considering I was the youngest of 6 kids and my parents were all about 'been there, done that' with my older siblings. Heck, they went on vacation to Florida and I had to get my brother-in-law to drive me to move into my college dorm!

We did a lot more driving our kids to activities, more vacations (the only vacation I ever had with my family was camping within a 3 hour drive of our house). I don't think it hurt them any, they are all self-supporting adults.

Depends on which of my sons you're talking about and which of my siblings you could be talking about. ;)

My mother started "checking out" with us when my older sister and I were about 8 and 9, and the responsibilities piled up until she finally left altogether when I was 12. After that, I was pretty much on my own - I finished raising my younger sisters, fed them, bathed them, dressed them, did laundry, dishes, bathrooms, bedrooms, floors, etc, etc, etc. When I was 14 I was "allowed" to go live with my mother again so I could start all over again with raising her new baby, who was born my first week of high school. She and my stepfather worked afternoons, so I would come home from school, take off my "normal teenager" hat and put my "single teen mother" hat on for the rest of the night. She would leave all the housecleaning and babycare for me to do so that they could sleep all day, which meant my baby brother would sleep all day with them, then be awake all afternoon and night. I will never forget my mother reprimanding me for putting him to bed "too early" because he was waking up at 9-10am, which caused her to have to get up too. On this way it went....

My parents were hands-off, obviously, but they were also hands off in other ways. I bought my own necessities from about 13 on, own clothes, shoes, shampoo, lunches, gas for my car (they bought me a car for $100 when I got my license so that I could go and find a job). I found a job, and the first thing my mother told me was "you better find a babysitter for your brother while you work". So I found a babysitter and would drop the 2 year old off on my way to work, and pick him back up at 10pm when I got off. I was 16/17. I filled out my own FAFSA forms, and chose my college without their input. I bought my first car on my own at 19, and my first house at 21.

My kids on the other hand - I think they do more than other kids in some ways, and in other ways a LOT less. They have had to order their own food from the server since they could talk (with our help, of course, but they had to either repeat it or we would if there was confusion), but DS17 has NEVER had to be responsible for his younger siblings. I have always done their laundry, but all three have had to do their own if they don't get their dirty clothes down to me by a certain point in the weekend (I will NOT do 4 more loads of laundry on Sunday afternoon because they were too lazy to bring it to me Saturday!) so they know how to. They make their own lunches ever since they told me I make gross lunches when they were about 9-10 years old lol, and their own breakfast. I cook for them nightly, but have taught each one of them how to make a simple "grown-up" meal like roasted chicken or pot roast. They can run into the store with $5 and buy a gallon of milk by themselves, or order a pizza, and DS17 has started filling out his own paperwork at the Dr. office and we sat together and filled out his FAFSA. I've tried to teach them the basic+ lifeskills while still being their "mom" and not leaving them to navigate the world on their own.

I think they are turning out pretty decent so far....

Last edited:
My mother started "checking out" with us when my older sister and I were about 8 and 9, and the responsibilities piled up until she finally left altogether when I was 12. After that, I was pretty much on my own - I finished raising my younger sisters, fed them, bathed them, dressed them, did laundry, dishes, bathrooms, bedrooms, floors, etc, etc, etc. When I was 14 I was "allowed" to go live with my mother again so I could start all over again with raising her new baby, who was born my first week of high school. She and my stepfather worked afternoons, so I would come home from school, take off my "normal teenager" hat and put my "single teen mother" hat on for the rest of the night. She would leave all the housecleaning and babycare for me to do so that they could sleep all day, which meant my baby brother would sleep all day with them, then be awake all afternoon and night. I will never forget my mother reprimanding me for putting him to bed "too early" because he was waking up at 9-10am, which caused her to have to get up too. On this way it went....

My parents were hands-off, obviously, but they were also hands off in other ways. I bought my own necessities from about 13 on, own clothes, shoes, shampoo, lunches, gas for my car (they bought me a car for $100 when I got my license so that I could go and find a job). I found a job, and the first thing my mother told me was "you better find a babysitter for your brother while you work". So I found a babysitter and would drop the 2 year old off on my way to work, and pick him back up at 10pm when I got off. I was 16/17. I filled out my own FAFSA forms, and chose my college without their input. I bought my first car on my own at 19, and my first house at 21.

My kids on the other hand - I think they do more than other kids in some ways, and in other ways a LOT less. They have had to order their own food from the server since they could talk (with our help, of course, but they had to either repeat it or we would if there was confusion), but DS17 has NEVER had to be responsible for his younger siblings. I have always done their laundry, but all three have had to do their own if they don't get their dirty clothes down to me by a certain point in the weekend (I will NOT do 4 more loads of laundry on Sunday afternoon because they were too lazy to bring it to me Saturday!) so they know how to. They make their own lunches ever since they told me I make gross lunches when they were about 9-10 years old lol, and their own breakfast. I cook for them nightly, but have taught each one of them how to make a simple "grown-up" meal like roasted chicken or pot roast. They can run into the store with $5 and buy a gallon of milk by themselves, or order a pizza, and DS17 has started filling out his own paperwork at the Dr. office. I've tried to teach them the basic+ lifeskills while still being their "mom" and not leaving them to navigate the world on their own.

I think they are turning out pretty decent so far....

Your childhood was a textbook case of neglect. Kudos to you for making it through and finding your own positive direction in life. That's not a given by any means.

Ohhhh, heck yeah.....
Especially since I was one of several siblings, and my mom was a single mother with no financial resources.
We do more, both logistically and financially than was ever done for me.

Yes. My parents were and still are poor. They weren't in any position to help out. Growing up I even had to work babysitting to pay for my own toiletries and clothes.

We've paid 100% of everything for our kids - college, phones, cars ect..... But our kids also know that we will only pay for 4 years of college and anything above that they will be paying for. My son just found out he will need a 5th year of college to finish - he'll be taking out a loan and getting a part time job to pay for it. He mentioned that he would be doing that himself with no reminding from us. We did offer to cover the cost of his books for that 5th year.

The same with once they are done with college, they are expected to get jobs and pay for everything themselves. I will drop them off my cell phone and car insurance when they have their first jobs.

I would still like to help them as much as possible after that but I don't want them to expect it - I want it to be a nice surprise gift when we help them as adults.

Yes, but more because of family structure. Dh and I have 1 child. We were in our 30s and well established when we married and more so when dd came. I also only worked 3 days a week until dd was well into middle school.

In contrast, I'm 1 of 4 very tightly spaced children. My dad died when I was 8 and my mom worked full time. There just weren't enough hours in the day for her to do all that she wanted for us.

My mom also grew up in boarding school so she didn't know how to do much of anything and vowed her kids wouldn't be like that. I like being self sufficient but it would have been nice to have more done for me.

I have tried to find a balance with my daughter but I definitely do more.

Funny thing is my 88year old mom, who lives near us, is always offering to do stuff for us. She was over for New year's and was trying to do chores for me. I had to sit her down with some wine.

Last edited:
Yes, but more because of family structure. Dh and I have 1 child. We were in our 30s and well established when we married and more so when dd came. I also only worked 3 days a week until dd was well into middle school.

In contrast, I'm 1 of 4 very tightly spaced children. My dad died when I was 8 and my mom worked full time. There just weren't enough hours in the day for her to do all that she wanted for us.

My mom also grew up in boarding school so she didn't know how to do much of anything and vowed her kids wouldn't be like that. I like being self sufficient but it would have been nice to have more done for me.

I have tried to find a balance with my daughter but I definitely do more.

Funny thing is my 88year old mom, who lives near us, is always offering to do stuff for us. She was over for New year's and was trying to do chores for me. I had to sit her down with some wine.

Posts like yours are the reason I have problems with questions like this (and I don't mean to attack you so please don't misinterpret what I say).

It makes me think of Robin Hood (actually makes me think of religious texts, but to be on the safe side, I'll reference Robin Hood). When the church mouse gives Friar Tuck her money and he says, "Your last farthing? No one can give more than that."

I'm the youngest of 5. We we're dirt poor growing up. Only went to Disney because my mom won a radio contest for a free vacation and as she had always promised me she'd get me to Disney someday, that was what she chose. I was 12. It was my first vacation. My parents couldn't afford much. But they did the best they could, they taught me how to be a good person and they sacrificed what they needed for our needs (or wants). They wore their shoes until they fell apart and their clothes were worn and holey, but we rarely did without.

To me, my parents gave more than I ever could. Because they gave us everything they had, everyday. I would do the same for my kids, but haven't had to.

At least, that's my perspective.

LIke others, yes and no.

We aren’t able to go on trips like my family did when I was growing up. We are able to have a laid back environment more than when I was growing up. My daughter knows she can talk to me about anything with no secrets or judgement. I definitely didn’t feel that growing up.

Pretty much this. Although we did go on family holidays they were either at my grandparents beach house or somewhere within the State of Victoria. I think I was 16 when I first left Victoria, besides popping over the border for a day.

My parents, my mother in particular were quite strict, she even decided what clothing was appropriate, the house was always immaculate etc. I’m way more laid back and flex and wouldn’t dream of telling my kids what they can and cannot wear. My house is not immaculate either ;) To answer the question, I do a lot more for my kids but that is decreasing as they get older. I won’t be paying household bills for them when they move out either, and I expect them to chauffeur me around when I’m out on the town once they get their license ;)

Yes. My dh left work early today to pick our grandkids up from school and take our grandson to the dentist. None of our parents ever took our kids to appointments and they were retired.

Posts like yours are the reason I have problems with questions like this (and I don't mean to attack you so please don't misinterpret what I say).

It makes me think of Robin Hood (actually makes me think of religious texts, but to be on the safe side, I'll reference Robin Hood). When the church mouse gives Friar Tuck her money and he says, "Your last farthing? No one can give more than that."

I'm the youngest of 5. We we're dirt poor growing up. Only went to Disney because my mom won a radio contest for a free vacation and as she had always promised me she'd get me to Disney someday, that was what she chose. I was 12. It was my first vacation. My parents couldn't afford much. But they did the best they could, they taught me how to be a good person and they sacrificed what they needed for our needs (or wants). They wore their shoes until they fell apart and their clothes were worn and holey, but we rarely did without.

To me, my parents gave more than I ever could. Because they gave us everything they had, everyday. I would do the same for my kids, but haven't had to.

At least, that's my perspective.

The question was "do you do more for your children than your parents did for you" not "do you give more of yourself to your children than your parents did for their children". Had the latter been the question my answer would have been vastly different. We weren't poor by any stretch and my mom put all 4 of us through college without any loans. We went on vacations and did some special things during the year.

However, the reality of the situation is that one good caring parent typically cannot do more for 4 children than 2 good caring parents can do for 1 child. Now, I have much more free time for myself than my mother ever did so I'm not giving as much of myself to my child as my mom gave to my brothers and me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter