Do you ever miss going to the "resorts" now that your DVC members?

brando5111

Mouseketeer
OK, I know this may be a silly question, but do you ever miss planning your trips to new and different resorts now that your DVC members? Of course you have the option to book at the various DVC resorts, but do you miss the variations of all the hotels? I would think using points for a room at the Poly,GF, etc...would be a huge waste of points, so I was just wondering.

Or do you book at the resorts hotels for the Fri/Sat for cash/AP rate (if you have an AP), and then book DVC for Sun-Thurs to expand point usage? I think this might be what I would do....

Just curious about your feelings out there on this issue.... :flower:

Brando

Still go to the resorts but we have a four night minimum rule so we can relax and not feel like we are living out of the suitcase.

We never had variation - we always ended up at the Poly. Every trip we would swear we were going to try a new resort, but we just couldn't tear ourselves away from the Poly. So we worried that we would miss our old favorite, but so far we are completely happy at BCV and enjoying the "newness" and excitement of getting to know a new home. If we experience strong Poly pangs in the future, we're open to the idea of selling our points one yeat and getting an AP rate at the Poly.

No, can't say that I feel that way.

I do miss not going to my DVC resort as much as I would like. :flower:

We just got back from the Contemporary (7 nights, 5 on points, 2 cash nights). I was great. We loved the pool and think we might do this same pattern in Summer 2007. Unless they raise the points after they finish the renovation.

We will add a moderate or other resort for a night or two at the beginning of our stay occasionally. Like NYE, we'll spend a night at the Caribbean Beach Resort (the last hotel we haven't stayed in, other than the values) before we move over to OKW. We've stayed at GF when they had the 7 for 4 deal a few years back. We stayed at the Polynesian on our first trip. We did a convention at the POFQ, when it was just the PO. We have done the AKL twice. Usually we tack these non-DVC stays onto our DVC stays. Sometimes they are completely separate vacations.

We've been DVC Members since '99. First at BW then bought some BCV points.
We like try the other resorts; so we often stay a couple of nights upon arrival at moderate or another deluxe depending on what kind of special rate, (usually an AP) we were able to get. Though, once we settled into our DVC Villa we don't want to pack up move on the weekends to save points; I guess we get too comfy.
Last year; DH and I taken a quick unexpected trip to Clearwater; but had due to flight availability we could fly into Tampa but had fly home out of Sanford so we decided to make a quick Disney trip and since we only thought we'd be in Disney 2 nights we'd give Pop Century a try specially since it was at a great AP price. We'd never stayed at value resort before.
We were told to evacuate Clearwater Beach.. and I called Disney...and they very nicely extended our stay. We headed to Disney... and Hurricane Charlie followed us. <G> And while Pop Century was very cute... we REALLY missed our DVC home!

Nope, I definitely don't have that problem.

I miss my home resort of the BWV when I can't get in, but I don't miss staying at the All Stars.

I don't miss anything. We have 5 children (now adults) so before DVC it meant we had to have 2 rooms. No fun.

But, we always drive to the other resorts to take in the sights and restaurants.

I definitely do NOT miss the other resorts, because I own at my favorite resort. I could never go back to a regular hotel room after staying mostly in 1 and 2 bedroom villas. You would have to drag me kicking and screaming back to them! I do like to visit them for meals etc, but I'm glad not to stay at them. We usually visit the Poly, the Grand Floridian and Wilderness Lodge each trip anyway, so no need to stay at them.

My favorite non-DVC resort is Wilderness Lodge, and I bought at VWL, so I won't be giving anything up there. I love AKL almost as much as Wilderness Lodge. I'm sure I'll stay there again at some point. At the very least, I'm sure I'll be visiting there almost every trip because I love Boma.

Not at all, although I never thought I'd answer that way when we bought. I loved POR, and planned to keep staying there for my solo trips. I figured I'd really miss it. Well, I don't know why I decided to stay at the "newly opened" (then) BCV, but after that, I never looked back at POR. We'd rarely stayed at deluxe resorts before joining DVC, so the DVC accomodations were a super treat for us. And still are!

No, cuz we usually stay at a resort for Friday and Saturday (and sometimes Sunday) nights, then move ot the DVC property.

That way, we get the best of both worlds.

Along with our DVC trips, we take several shorter trips a year (for things like Star Wars Weekends) and we stay at different moderates during those times. We have not really had a need for the more delux accomidations, but I suspect in our futures, if the finances are there we might TRY them. For now, the moderates we have tried have all been GREAT for our family and our needs.

So, nope - don't miss it because we still stay other places!

I miss staying in a Ft. Wilderness cabin, but DH doesn't and it is too expensive point-wise for me to make a case.

Bobbi :flower:

No I don't miss staying at the other Disney Resorts. I love BWV and am trying OKW next trip. We usually go on a resort tour while at Disney just to see if anything has changed.

I still visit a bunch of resorts on every trip. I just sleep in a few of the same. I love the DVC rooms, but I'd stay in a cardboard box behind DTD as long as it was cable ready if they would let me.

I guess I don't view hotel accommodations of any kind to be anywhere near as good as DVC accommodations. I even hate it when I go on a regular trip and MUST stay in a "regular" hotel room! :blush:

We really like to move around to experience all of them, so I was afraid of the same thing. For now, we're using the weekends to see different places, and staying Sun-Thurs on points. If we decide to buy more points in the future, or that it's too much of a hassle to move, then maybe we'll change our minds. But we don't seem to mind moving as much as other people do. I consider the resorts as one of the main attractions at Disney, so I don't mind spending the time to go to different ones. Of course, as many people mentioned, you can always visit without actually staying there, and we often eat at many of them, even if we don't stay.

And maybe after we've stayed at them all, we will be satified with staying put. Time will tell. But the one thing I'm sure of, is that I love having a nice, long shot at a DVC in the middle, because they really are great - no resort can beat a one or two bedroom at a DVC, IMO.

We were on a mission to try to stay at every resort. We were on track until we purchased at OKW.

After our first trip home we regretted not being able to get to the rest of the resorts, but loved OKW so much we soon forgot.

There was one trip when Animal Kingdom Lodge first opened, we were like we HAVE to stay here. We got an awesome annual passholder rate for savannah concierge (Had to do Sunrise Safari). So we just rented points. It worked out great, the points covered our room and air. That is what I love about DVC.

We have also stayed at WLV, BWL & BCV. These DVC resorts bring back the old WDW Resort feel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter