Do you ever miss going to the "resorts" now that your DVC members?

I've only had 1 DVC trip so far, so I haven't had enough time to ''miss' the resorts. As much as I loved all the moderates, no I won't miss them.
My last trip before I became a member, my cousins and I stayed at the Coronado Springs, which I love, but the day we visited the AK, I was mentioning how in love w/the AKL I am, and how my next trip will I will be staying there, no matter what! Well, then of course I became a DVC member, and my next trip was ''home'' to SSR. But I still think about AKL, I just love it :love: But I am determined still to stay there sometime, hopefully getting a great AP discount for the weekend, and then moving to a DVC. Maybe for my honeymoon!

I really like the moderate resorts (the themes, and walking around looking at the landscaping) and usually would stay at one if paying cash. We have been staying at different DVC resorts (BCV, VWL before I bought) during our last 2 trips but our next trip will be "our first DVC home BWV". I just realized I don't really miss the other resorts because there is so much you can do (and visit) using DVC points!

athenna said:
I've only had 1 DVC trip so far, so I haven't had enough time to ''miss' the resorts. As much as I loved all the moderates, no I won't miss them.
My last trip before I became a member, my cousins and I stayed at the Coronado Springs, which I love, but the day we visited the AK, I was mentioning how in love w/the AKL I am, and how my next trip will I will be staying there, no matter what! Well, then of course I became a DVC member, and my next trip was ''home'' to SSR. But I still think about AKL, I just love it :love: But I am determined still to stay there sometime, hopefully getting a great AP discount for the weekend, and then moving to a DVC. Maybe for my honeymoon!
We felt the same way about AKL, so we did stay there on an arrival day once. Loved the resort, but not so much the room. It was so dark...! We were glad to get back to OKW for the rest of the week, and we find we enjoy the other resorts more if we are only visiting them for dinner. ;)

The last two trips we moved for the last few days. Once to AKL, once to CSR. We thought the resorts were pretty but we didn't really care for the rooms. Our new rule is only one week-end on points. So this trip is 12 nights, 4 at BWV and 8 at OKW. If we were coming in on a Friday instead of a Sunday we would have stayed at a new resort for the first two nights.

Yes we do that is why we try to go to a differnt resort for the weekends while we are there. Mind you we always seem to head back to our favourites every time. We love the All Stars and spend most weekends at one of them or at Coronado Springs.

I love the different resorts - but not the rooms. Too small for 4 people to really relax & have space. We visit lots of resorts for meals & think some of the resorts have great themes. We may sometimes stay in a resort room to conserve points, but not because we miss the rooms there.

Now, if they would just build a DVC with a great view of the castle!

Not really, but if we "feel the need" , we will sometimes use points to stay at a non-DVC resort.

We sometimes miss the Poly as it was our favorite :sad: , but do always manage to have lunch or dinner there.

No because I think we will always try new resorts too if we want. For example we went down a couple of years ago and had used up our points so we booked a tower room at the Contemporary snce I had never stayed there. DVC lets us travel more often so we'll splurge from time to time and stay elsewhere.

I did miss especially the Poly. But we'd stayed at GF and CR on points and I was left with the thought, what the heck was I thinking'???

It was during those stays that I missed the roominess, the washer/dryer, the hot tub, the kitchen of the DVCs.

Now, rotating around the various DVCs, I miss OKW when I'm at BWV and BWV if I'm at SSR and, well, you get the idea.

Nope!!

We actually use our points to stay onsite - the Su-Th rates are okay. We figured this into our initial purchase and got enough points to make it seem logical. I believe in the future, we'll probably pay cash for Fri/Sat and points for the rest if we spend more than a few days. Usually we plan to only do enough for a "taste" before moving over to a 1BR (more room!!) but in September we're doing a whole trip at the Poly on points.

I know everyone has different opinions on how to use points and I must say we do plan to use ours mostly at the DVC resorts, because we are spoiled and LOVE the full kitchen, hot tub, and ability to shut a door between us and DS :p , but one of the main reasons we decided to join was the ability to use points for the cruise and for the resorts (DL included).

Although renting points and paying cash certainly does appeal...

We stayed at the Wilderness Lodge a couple of years ago, when our 3rd was only 3 months. The hotel was beautiful, but the room was so tight for all of us, and so it was that vacation we signed up for DVC. :cool1: We decided that if we were going to travel again as a family, we really wanted it to be in bigger accomodations. So do I miss being cramped into a tiny room with 2 beds and a bathroom? Definitely no!..

However, that being said, I think the Grand Floridian is BEAUTIFUL (stayed there on our honeymoon and had the most fantastic time!!!) and we ALWAYS wanted to stay at the Polynesian, and would consider it, using points or cash, if it was just DH and I or if we booked 2 rooms, when the kids are older.

dianeschlicht said:
I guess I don't view hotel accommodations of any kind to be anywhere near as good as DVC accommodations. I even hate it when I go on a regular trip and MUST stay in a "regular" hotel room! :blush:

I've started to feel this way too! Are we spoiled?? ;) We are driving this next trip and I insisted on booking a hampton suite off of I-95, just because it had more room with a little kitchen, etc. Even though we are only "crashing" there and will probably have no use for the kitchette, the thought of staying in a regular hotel room with all 5 of us gave me the willies... :scared:

slk537 said:
Nope!!

We actually use our points to stay onsite - the Su-Th rates are okay. We figured this into our initial purchase and got enough points to make it seem logical. I believe in the future, we'll probably pay cash for Fri/Sat and points for the rest if we spend more than a few days. Usually we plan to only do enough for a "taste" before moving over to a 1BR (more room!!) but in September we're doing a whole trip at the Poly on points.

I know everyone has different opinions on how to use points and I must say we do plan to use ours mostly at the DVC resorts, because we are spoiled and LOVE the full kitchen, hot tub, and ability to shut a door between us and DS :p , but one of the main reasons we decided to join was the ability to use points for the cruise and for the resorts (DL included).

Although renting points and paying cash certainly does appeal...

Don't feel bad we are using points to stay in a cabin at FW and couldn't be happier even though the points are quite high for the place it is something we want to do so we are doing it. What good is DVC if you never sample anything else.

Moonmom said:
We like try the other resorts; so we often stay a couple of nights upon arrival at moderate or another deluxe depending on what kind of special rate, (usually an AP) we were able to get. Though, once we settled into our DVC Villa we don't want to pack up move on the weekends to save points; I guess we get too comfy.

Ditto

Well, we always stayed at the Poly before we bought DVC and we just love the Polynesian plus we have so many memories there when our children were small....so to be honest I do miss it BUT when it comes time for vacation planning (we can use our points for the Poly as you know) we always go to the DVC.....almost exclusively OKW. We have branched out to the Boardwalk a few times and the Plaza in NYC. The size of the accomodations, the living room, the kitchen, (we do not cook)the washer and dryer the spaciousness of OKW always convince us to go to DVC.....I guess there are more plusses for us there. :flower:

I definitely would not want to give up the regular deluxe resorts. As much as I love the money savings of DVC and spacious accommodations, there just simply is NOT any Polynesian or AKL or GF anywhere in DVC.

I am spoiled no doubt, if I had to I would give up the regular deluxe resorts, but luckily I dont.

No, we really couldn't afford to stay at the resorts as offten as we get to enjoy DVC. Besides, it was rare that we would stay at a one bedroom suite, although we did try that at the contemporary one time.

We often stay at the Dolphin on weekends.

We have more Disney trips than points and use other resorts on Fridays and Saturdays (Cypress Pointe for one). At Christmas, when we thought we had a family gathering of 8, I booked a great home at Windsor Palms. And for Don's Extravagant Birthday Trip II, it took a little more than just the free dining plan to get me to book. I got a Ding fare on SWA (later reduced even more with a fare sale). We're staying at Pop that weekend since we'll probably be commando and it's just the two of us. While I will miss the terrific location of BCV and BWV, Pop will be fine for this long weekend.

I do want to stay at both the Polynesian, and the FW cabins again sometime.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter