Do you have good dishes...china, do you use it?

I have my grandmothers china...have had it for a few years...we use it at Thankgiving. It's not very attractive but it's special.

DH designed and had built 2 matchign hutches for my dining room. Gave them to me in june on our anniversary. So, my china is displayed there.

I have crystal glasswear that was a wedding gift that has never seen the light of day.

I use my china every day. I don't have a dishwasher (long story, I don't hate dishwashers but I'd just rather handwash my dishes so after a couple of years of non-use my dh finally took ours out of the kitchen and made better use of the space) so handwashing isn't a problem. Neither of my china sets were horribly expensive though and I could replace anything I broke in one of the sets so I use them for every dinner. I really like the look of my dinner table each night when I have it set for dinner.

We have good china and silver that has probably been used a half dozen times in the 28 years we've been married.:rolleyes:
I'm not sure what it is we're waiting for:confused: My funeral maybe;)

I have a set of china that we got as wedding gifts. We've used it but not often. Unfortunately, we didn't get serving pieces and didn't have the money to buy them then. Now the pattern is discontinued and those serving pieces cost a fortune. Sigh.

I do have the everyday china from my grandmother. It reminds me of dinners at her house when I was young. I love using it. I even added extra pieces in case I break anything. I probably have enough to serve an army. LOL.

My mom has promised me her Spode Christmas tree dishes someday. I'm thinking of selling my good china to make room in the buffet for that set.

and use them both often! I won't put them in the dishwasher....although I could....because I like how they look and feel (sad huh?) when I hand wash them!!! Really is a labour of love for me!!:bounce:

I have an every day place stting for 8 pf a Noritake. Nothing fancy---I just liked it. I use Dale's mom's china for Special gatherings---up to and including Thanksgiving. The day after Thanksgiving I use my Christmas china. I use the Christmas china up to ans including New Years eve.

My SIL ---( Erika passed on 6 years ago) set a most elegant table---she had several sets of very expensive china-----that she used all the time. Erika's moto was why have it if your just going to clean it but never us it. I loved going to her house for afternoon luncheons---She would use her best Tea cups---none of which matched---it was so much fun looking at all her different saucers and cups.

I know Erika would say to use your good china it will just get more beautiful with use.

PattyN

I have good dishes, crystal and silverware, but none of it is so good that I'm afraid to use it. It's just nicer than the other. :D

12 years ago, when we registered at Hudsons for our wedding shower...I didn't want china...but DH did....we got about 8 place settings along with the silverware and all. I actually have some settings that we never even opened!!! (ones that people had sent to our house)!!

It is kinda stupid.....they are all up in a closet upstairs at our house right now...along with the fancy napkins and napkin holders...and it is going to be 12 years in June!!!!!!!

We were married 4 years ago. We received a few place settings of china for wedding gifts, as well as a platter and other accessories. We had planned on adding to the collection as time went by, to have enough place settings. A year after our wedding, Lenox discontinued our pattern. We went to the department stores, the Lenox factory store, the Lenox outlet, searched ebay, and a specialized discontinued china outlet, yet could only find a piece or two for sale. We now have a VERY incomplete china set.

I either want to sell what we have (maybe someone on ebay is searching for an extra piece?) or keep what we have and just use it for small gatherings of 3-4 people. Two years from now we are planning on building a second story onto our ranch house, and then I will have a proper dining room. I think I will wait until that time, and then worry about getting china. Even if I only use it twice a year, I still want it! :)

Originally posted by WebmasterAlex
We usually break it out once or twice a year.. the hand washing is a pain!

Same here....same reason.

We have a full set.....due to the fact that when we were getting married DH's aunt and uncle (they're brother and sister) gave us a total of 12 place settings. They were then both in their late 60's and still couldn't let one out-do the other!!! We got serving pieces from other friends and relatives and have basically a complete set. Unfortunately it's also a discontinued pattern from Noritake.

I collect antique Red Apple Franciscan. I had it all out for
the holidays. It's not "china." My mom has three sets of
china-Haviland. I decided not to collect any of my own
because someday one of those sets comes to me. Same
with sterling - why clean it b4 I have too?! I do collect
Orrefors crystal but don't use it for fear of breakage these
days. 7 yo old boys throw basketballs in the house.
;)

Shortbun,

My mom collects that pattern. Some time ago they changed the pattern on her which did not please her too much. She liked the "redder" apples.

Another "guilty" china/crystal/silver owner here!

We just don't entertain that way, and I can't see that we ever will. Just not our style at all.

The stuff I inherited from my grandmother, I display in my dining room. So at least that gets "used" as part of the decor.

The china and crystal that I got as gifts when I married the first time has never been used. Maybe I'll end up with a daughter-in-law that likes it.

No. I didn't register for or buy China when we were getting married because I don't have anyplace to store it and we don't do alot of entertaining.

I used to save my "good" china for special occasions but a couple of years ago I decided to use them on a regular basis.:D

Sad to say my china is still packed in the box I got it in 10 years ago. :( My Grandma insisted that I have a set of china after I was married and we went shopping. I've never used it, although I love it. I now have a set of her china and hutch from when we moved her into the nursing home but again I haven't used it.

I think I will have to have dinner on china this week. The kids are getting older and I think they can keep from dropping it. LOL

Sunday dinner tonight. It's just DH and I, but I'm going to make him one of his favourite meals. I've also decided to break (lol) out the china. He'll probably become a little anxious, wondering if he's forgotten my birthday or our anniversary....that's okay, let him squirm a bit. ;) I'll just tell him it's because he's special. :)

Yes, I have china, and yes I use it everytime we have company. I also have Christmas china that I use once or twice a year.

DH's grandmother used to work for Royal Doulton and she told me that china becomes very brittle if you don't use and wash it occasionally. So, for all of you that are letting it sit in boxes, get it out and use it!!!

If you don't use it, it will just sit there and no one will enjoy it.

I went to a Bed and Breakfast one time and they had 15 people for breakfast. They use antique china, silverware and crystal. They use it all the time. The china was so thin you could read through it. I told them I was afraid it was going to break. They said not to worry about it. It's stronger than it looks and in the mean time everyone can enjoy it.

You don't need a fancy reason to use the good stuff, use it just because you feel like it.

okay fessing up here
I HAVE WAY TOO MANY DISHES
that being said
I have everyday dishes - pfaltzcraft
I have a set of china that I really like but that was that expensive and I have no problem using them mostly in the winter and on holidays
Okay now I have a set of very old and good (24kt gold trim) china that my great aunt gave me and a set of real silver
I never use either - I never have.
I am afraid to break them - I do display them in my dining room
I really should use them but well I have a 7 yr old and a baby on the way
maybe someday.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter