Do you have good dishes...china, do you use it?

Don't have any nice china :( I suppose I should get me some

Originally posted by Krissalee
We were married 4 years ago. We received a few place settings of china for wedding gifts, as well as a platter and other accessories. We had planned on adding to the collection as time went by, to have enough place settings. A year after our wedding, Lenox discontinued our pattern. We went to the department stores, the Lenox factory store, the Lenox outlet, searched ebay, and a specialized discontinued china outlet, yet could only find a piece or two for sale. We now have a VERY incomplete china set.

I either want to sell what we have (maybe someone on ebay is searching for an extra piece?) or keep what we have and just use it for small gatherings of 3-4 people. Two years from now we are planning on building a second story onto our ranch house, and then I will have a proper dining room. I think I will wait until that time, and then worry about getting china. Even if I only use it twice a year, I still want it! :)

I once worked at Macy's as a bridal consultant and we helped people with this problem all the time. We had a long list of numbers of people who owned small shops and bought up discontinued patterns from flea markets, estate sales, etc. It probably wouldn't hurt to go to a few department stores and ask--they may have some numbers you could call.

The vendors always told us that we could put even the fine china in the dishwasher. Just make sure you use powdered detergent, which is much gentler on dishes than liquid or gels, and make sure the dishes don't touch each other or the sides of the dishwasher. I've been putting my Wedgewood in the dishwasher for 11 years and have never had a problem.

We use the good china for all holidays and sometimes when we have buffet dinners and need more than just 12 place settings. I have a service for 12 of my wedding china and two sets of antique china that I like to mix and match. The strange thing is that all three sets are Noritake! That was purely by accident!

shortbun - i love franciscan's desert rose. my grandma had it so it remind me of her. :)

When we married 14+ yrs ago.... the in-laws wanted me to register for a china pattern. I REFUSED. I didn't come from the type of family that would buy us any china -- nor did they live anywhere close to where it was sold. (No Macy's or Filenes....)

Instead, I stood my ground and registered for PFALTZGRAFF. :)
We got SO MUCH!!! It was almost funny. We would have had 1/10 of what we got if it was china.

I'm glad to say, that even though the Pfaltzgraff is our GOOD set of dishes.... we use it each Christmas & when ever we have company. I think my table looks just as pretty. :) I also don't hesitate to grab a piece if we run out of every day dishes. And it pops right in the dishwasher.

We have complete place settings for 8, plus TONS of extra setting pieces & serving & baking pieces & kitchen pieces.

Storage is not a problem. It all fits nicely in the antique hutch just steps from the kitchen.

I love the china set I picked out and my parents bought for us for our wedding 26 years ago. It's not a real expensive or fancy set, but it is definitely very me (has a single rose bud on it). For the first 6 years living in the apartment, we used it several times but it WAS a pain to pack and unpack. In our first house, we had a place to store it but we didn't have a dining room, just an eat-in kitchen and where we stored it was also a hassle to take out and use. In the house we are in now, we have the formal dining room (just got new dining room set on Friday to replace the handmedown one we got when we moved in twelve years ago). With the formal dining room, we do have the china both on display and easy to get at. So, at all family functions at our home (except for summer barbecue) we utilize the good china. Now with the new dining room furniture, I think I will make more occasions to utilize that room and the china and silver during normal family dinners.

In regards to the trend of larger dining areas, I can definitely attest to that. My niece had a house built where the dining room is humongus and the first furniture she bought for the house was a dining room table and chairs.... the table is something like 186 feet long and has 14 chairs that go comfortably around the table. She bought a large buffet to go with the set but not a china cabinet because she has a butler's pantry with plenty of storage. She did get two very large curio cabinets to go on either side of the entry from the main hall to display stuff and she still has enough room in that room to hold a dance. She also has a large gas fireplace in it. You gotta see this house to believe it.

Sorry, long post.

Originally posted by kbeverina
I once worked at Macy's as a bridal consultant and we helped people with this problem all the time. We had a long list of numbers of people who owned small shops and bought up discontinued patterns from flea markets, estate sales, etc. It probably wouldn't hurt to go to a few department stores and ask--they may have some numbers you could call.

The vendors always told us that we could put even the fine china in the dishwasher. Just make sure you use powdered detergent, which is much gentler on dishes than liquid or gels, and make sure the dishes don't touch each other or the sides of the dishwasher. I've been putting my Wedgewood in the dishwasher for 11 years and have never had a problem.

After all these years, I don't know that I could put it in the dishwasher. I think I'd be stopping it all the time to peek in and make sure it was alright! :)

I'm curious, does anyone's china no longer match their decor, or have you decorated around it?

Tulirose, 186 feet long!!!!!! :eek: ...you mean 18', don't you??? :)

Tuli.....I have a table from the 1880s. It is a 54" square (very wide by modern standards). It has 5 leaves - each 18" wide. When I open this monster.....I can get 16 people around it comfortable....and that's with only 4 leaves. I can't get the fifth one in....it's just too big for my dining room and too wide to go comfortably through the opening into the living room....

Received china as a wedding gift 21yrs ago. Stored in their boxes in my upstairs hall closet. I do occasionally take it out for Christmas and Thanksgiving dinners.

I'll have to say I only use my china probably twice a year. It's stored in my china cabinet, just a pain to get out.
I also love my everyday dishes, they're all white, "Heritage" by the company that starts with a P. No way can I spell that one! lol
So I mostly use them.

I didn't get good china for the very reason that I knew I'd be too afraid of breaking it and I'd never use it! So when DH and I got married, I registered for Pfaltsgraf Heirloom (which they don't make any more) and that's my "good" china. I DO have everyday dishes, but I break out the Pfaltsgraf whenever I cook something special or we're all home for dinner at the same time (THAT's a special occasion!).

We lost our BIL (35) to cancer last year and it made me think how short life is, so I dumped all my 'everyday' stuff - plates, cutlery, etc., and now I use the 'good' stuff everyday. After all, if anything happens to it, it can be replaced - people can't. So why not enjoy the beautiful things every day? Any one else agree with me?

Amy, my first set of dishes when we were married was Heirloom too! I had every serving piece that was made, even the matching glasses and silverware. After about 10 years I sold it all to a recent college graduate at a garage sale. I now have Pfaltzgraff Grapevine as my everyday dishes and I love them. They wear very well.

To all of you who are interested in selling or buying discontinued china, crystal, and silverware, this is a great company:

www.replacementsltd.com

They have 175,000 patterns, and if you register with them, they will notify you of what pieces they have of yours in stock, and also send ytou a price list.

Jleaf - What a great website. I learned I can finally replace the creamer I broke years ago for only 17.99.

I also learned that we just gave away to SIL china worth quite a lot of money. By comparison, the creamer to the set given away is 39.99.

This set of china belonged to DH's uncle who is getting rid of stuff and a bunch of us went down and came back with *stuff*, among them being the china and silverplated flatware. We didn't want it, DH's older sis did not want it and his brother did not want it. There are other members of the family but they are not in the picture with this. Anyway, story is too involved but it was decided to give china and flatware to another sister, not even knowing if she wants it. Well, if she don't she can make some money on the deal. The cup and saucers sell for 34.99 while my cup and saucer goes for 13.99. The site did not list the cost of a dinner plate for the older set (my dinner plates are 39.99).

You should have posted this website one day earlier!!!

Well, I still like my set better anyway! Oh well, and anyway, knowing the prices would not have changed the decision to give set to SIL.

Oh, and Snowwark and Gina - I am going to get the exact figures of the table I was speaking of. I am pretty sure I was told 180-some-odd feet. But numbers and me never did get along. I do know we were there for dessert at Christmas and there were six big chairs on each side so that is 12 and the two ends sit at least one each so that is 14. I'll get back to you on it.

Okay - I gotta eat crow. That dining room table of my niece is only 130 inches long, not the 180 something that I originally posted. It seats five on each side and one at each end but she has the ability to squeeze in two more for a total of 14 if she wants but she says her chairs are too large to do same so she only got 12 chairs. The room itself is 18 by 15 feet.

Told you me and numbers don't get along well together.

Disnee Dad Says....................................We have three sets of china! And silverware to die for. Sometimes I think the only reason DW married me is my last name matched the engraving on the silverware! lol
We use them 3-4 times a year. Yesterday, for the first time ever we used parts of all three at the same time and it worked great!
Used the plainest one for bread dishes, used the secoond set for all serving bowls and trays and the third set for plates.
All three sets are 50 to 70 years old, and never go in a dishwasher, I'm half afraid to put them under running water!

Tulirose...:) :)

Creative table setting Disnee Dad? I'd love to do that, it must of looked great! :)

I didn't register for good china when I got married, because I had partial sets from a grandmother and great aunt. I can't remember the last time I used any of it. I also have my mom's sterling silver flatware, which I've never used. :(

Once a year... twice a year... never! Come on guys - here's what I want you to do....

Get out that nice dinner service / silverware and sit down to a nice dinner with the family. It doesn't matter whether there's only one of you or 21 - you'll really enjoy the meal even if it's only "mac & cheese" or "fish & chips". ;) Don't wait for a special occasion. Enjoy your pretty things NOW!

I second Jeafl's recommendation of www.replacementsltd.com, I have used them for years. I have 2 sets of good china (one from when I married, one inherited) and both are discontinued, one since 1940, but they always have great supply of both. And, I'm with you Big Disney Fan - I use my china a lot. I'd rather enjoy them and have them break, then to just sit in a box and never enjoyed. I'll replace and if I can't, I'll have wonderful memories of using them. And, I wash them in the dishwasher as does my MIL and SIL. Not a chip or break yet!
Meanwhile, I also inherited from my aunt 6 antique English plates with matching cups and saucers from 1800. I know they cannot be replaced, yet those are the cups that my family drinks our morning coffee out of every morning. And everytime we have guests and they ooh and aah over how fabulous these cups are, and I never tell them how much those cups are worth-they'd stop drinking and be nervous. Meanwhile, everyone always swears the coffee tastes the best in these cups! My aunt would be so pleased and they always make me smile!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter