Does anyone ever apologize anymore?

....the popcorn smiley should have been the giveaway that my post was tongue-in-cheek. But on a more serious note, ITA. In fact, I had an 'incident' this past Saturday at a major food store chain....

Whenever I did something wrong at a friends house at a sleepover or just outside playing and my parents got wind of it this is the way they handled it. First I always knew I was going to get some sort of punishment for doing what I did, but that wasn't the worst of it. I was marched over to the kids house and I apologized to my friend and also to the parents and any other siblings if my friend had any. This quickly changed my behavior and I would immediately apologize if I ever felt like I disrespected someone. I learned my lesson several years ago and will never go back there because it is quite humiliating. Now parents are always telling my parents how polite I am when I stay over with my friends.

It's not just apologies that are lacking, but social graces in general! When you buy something and give someone money, shouldn't they say thank you? Or are they doing me a favor by giving me what I paid for? When I worked at McDonald's (many years ago), it was drilled into our heads that when someone gives you money, you say thank you. They are doing you a favor by buying something, which in turn pays your salary. You are being paid to do your job, not doing the customer a favor. Thank them when they give you the money, give them their order, and thank them again! Now when I walk up the register, I am rarely greeted with a smile, and "Hi may I take your order, etc." It's usually a blank stare or in one case, "Go ahead." When I hand them money, there's no response. When they hand me my order, there's not much more than a "here go you." When I say, "Thank you," as kind of a hint, I usually get, "No problem" or "No worries." Why would it be a problem and why should I worry about buying something from you?

I can't stand "no worries"!! Oh (sarcasm) thank you for easing my mind! (I wasn't worried, believe me) It's feels so condescending.

I know these type of rants open me up for abuse but when did it become OK to not apologize when you obviously should. I have had something happen three times in the last two weeks where I am amazed that nothing was said. The first was in the line for Peter Pan at Disneyland. It was sunny, 80 plus degrees and the lady on one side of us was giving her baby a bottle. With the heat I am not surprised but the baby threw up. She held the baby out and let it spew all over my legs. The smelly stuff ran down my leg and into my sandal. The lady did not say one word to me. Thank goodness a lady on the other side of the queue had extra napkins she gave me to wipe up the mess on my leg. The woman with the baby was wearing a pretty long blue dress so I think her main goal was to keep the spit-up off of it but still you need to at least say 'I'm sorry'.

Then yesterday two different times I was run into at the grocery by other people pushing carts. Nothing said by either person. In one case I was standing at self checkout and a lady bumped me so hard that I fell into the scale thing holding the bags. She had one of those huge kid car/shopping carts and was trying to slip past the people checking out. At least in that case a store employee came over and apologized for her but she was long gone.

Seriously, what is wrong with people?

OMG I would have lost my mind at the baby puke. You were actually able to maintain your cool? You deserve the Nobel Peace Prize!

I can't stand "no worries"!! Oh (sarcasm) thank you for easing my mind! (I wasn't worried, believe me) It's feels so condescending.
"No problem" and "no worries" is the vernacular of the younger generation. Nobody is being condescending - well, except for perhaps the person who wants to be thanked three times for buying a fast food hamburger. Don't take it so seriously.

"No problem" and "no worries" is the vernacular of the younger generation. Nobody is being condescending - well, except for perhaps the person who wants to be thanked three times for buying a fast food hamburger. Don't take it so seriously.

I think it's over kill I can understand stand one thank you for your business

I'm not losing sleep over it, thanks

I say "no worries" or "no problem" all the time. If someone tells me "Oops I'm sorry" or "excuse me," I'll respond with "no problem" or "no worries." I can't believe anyone would have a problem with that, my God.

I say "no worries" or "no problem" all the time. If someone tells me "Oops I'm sorry" or "excuse me," I'll respond with "no problem" or "no worries." I can't believe anyone would have a problem with that, my God.

In that context, "no problem" or "no worries" are appropriate. If someone feels the need to apologize or excuse themselves for something they did, it's fine to tell them whatever they did was not a problem. What bothers me is when I say "thank you" to a server for bringing me a drink refill and they reply with "no worries." That's not an appropriate response. It implies that I was worried (or that I should be worried) about asking them to do something for me. I wasn't worried, I was simply grateful for the task they performed. Sure, it's their job. But I like to show my appreciation by thanking people for what they do. The appropriate reply would be "you're welcome."

In that context, "no problem" or "no worries" are appropriate. If someone feels the need to apologize or excuse themselves for something they did, it's fine to tell them whatever they did was not a problem. What bothers me is when I say "thank you" to a server for bringing me a drink refill and they reply with "no worries." That's not an appropriate response. It implies that I was worried (or that I should be worried) about asking them to do something for me. I wasn't worried, I was simply grateful for the task they performed. Sure, it's their job. But I like to show my appreciation by thanking people for what they do. The appropriate reply would be "you're welcome."

Exactly this.
A polite "thank you" deserves an equally polite response, imo.

Exactly this.
A polite "thank you" deserves an equally polite response, imo.
"No problem" and "no worries" are polite, modern day responses.

You can keep living in the past and holding people to an antiquated standard if you wish, but you're just going to end up disappointed.

I'm not positive here but I think they mean that the only accepted response of "You're welcome" is antiquated.

I'll gladly accept any response that is in the spirit of good will, IYKWIM.
If we're talking about politeness though, I think "you're welcome" goes a lot farther than "no worries." To each his own.

Our ground beef, Babybel Cheese bites, Oranges, Kettle Chips box of small bags. Dempsters bread, Dh's pants, Prime Rib roasts, steaks, and Dh's Glucosamine-Chondroitine. For the most part. Dh takes a list when he grocery shops. Tried chocolate covered blueberries, cranberries ie once.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter