Does anyone have any info about Marco Island since the hurricane?

karensi

My Family and Disney are my two favorite things!
We have reservations to stay in Marco Island in November, Thanksgiving week to be exact. I spoke with the lady who runs the place we are going to stay at and she told me there wasn't too much damage to the place, some lanai screens blew down and other small damage. She told me that they had "people" coming that day (Monday) to start doing repairs and that we should be good for November.
What do you think? Anybody with any first hand info?

Thank you

I have a friend who lives on Marco Island. She lost some roof tile, fencing and plantings but didn't have flooding in her house. I know parts of the island were much harder hit than others.

From a Facebook friend who lives on Marco Island: electricity, water, and sewer are all restored. Most of the debris has been cleared off streets and the beaches. Plenty of individual homes still have varying amounts of damage, which will take a while to repair. Many houses are owned by snowbirds who haven't had the opportunity to visit yet.

About half the stores and gas stations have opened, with more and more reopening on a daily basis.

I'm sure your hotel will be fine by November.

We have a family friend down there now doing some minor repairs to his property, but from what he said the other day it sounds like basic services have been restored and at least parts of the island are getting back to normal.

Damage in some of the older neighborhoods was extensive. Many of the newer areas flooded but the homes were otherwise ok. Businesses are opening back up and basic services are back up again. If you venture into some of the older neighborhoods, some of the places that took a lot of damage probably will still be under repair. But I think you're mostly going to be ok.

Perfect!! Thank you all so much. It sounds as if we'll be OK and I'm really happy about that.
As a side note, we were in Disney for the hurricane and although I know that many of the surrounding homes and businesses were affected Disney was fine. Some downed trees and branches but for the most part no major damage as far as I know. The TV reports of some of the other parts of FL were just awful and I didn't know what to think.
Anyway, just want to say thank you to all who took the time to reply. I'm really feeling much better about this next trip.

I would stay in touch with the place you are expecting to stay. We stayed on Sanibel Island a few months after Charley hit. We had a great visit, but it was hit or miss on which places were back open. We ended up getting a nice deal on a better resort because so many people had cancelled. However, they were doing some roof work during the day so it was very loud. Just stay flexible and in touch with the place you are staying. While it may not be the case here, I could see some places downplaying the damage to keep people from cancelling. Maybe double check with the Chamber of Commerce?

I would stay in touch with the place you are expecting to stay. We stayed on Sanibel Island a few months after Charley hit. We had a great visit, but it was hit or miss on which places were back open. We ended up getting a nice deal on a better resort because so many people had cancelled. However, they were doing some roof work during the day so it was very loud. Just stay flexible and in touch with the place you are staying. While it may not be the case here, I could see some places downplaying the damage to keep people from cancelling. Maybe double check with the Chamber of Commerce?

That's exactly what I'm afraid of. They say all is good but :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter