Does anyone put up with a job they hate because the money is too good?

mousefan73

Germans are faster at dubbing
Background,
I work for a larger, global company. They are offering voluntary packages to quit. Part of this offer is headhunter placement services. company is selling this as a career development opportunity external of your current work place. Our bosses recommended we all meet with this headhunter with no commitment and meetings are confidential.

So I had my session.. and it was really more a therapy session. (These sessions are confidential) .
Are you happy, what is job happiness, what are your personal goals, do you see yourself doing something completely different etc... ????

This headhunter was really great actually. Made me realize I love my job and even though I could get paid more elsewhere my best interests are to stay. He stressed that for overall job satisfaction salary in the long run pays less a role.. more money is instant gratification, but then that happiness level drops, once work becomes work and the daily stress of a job. I had said only a significant salary increase and a lesser commute would drive me to maybe look elsewhere. He said for my position and experience he would only recommend a change IF I also wanted to change myself career wise, more responsibly, different role or industry that interests me more. That Money as the driver would only be a short-term benefit ( job satisfaction wise). More money elsewhere would be re-inventing myself career wise. Once at a company so long you get a positive reputation that you would need to build again.

So afterwards, I was just thinking are there people out there who have horrible jobs but stay because the money is too good? Even if you could live with less? Or quit a great job they loved as the money carrot lured them, and then regretted the new job, company etc...

Yes, many people stay in jobs they hate because the pay is good. From your description, it sounds like you really want to stay in your current position. However, it's a huge red flag that your company is offering incentives and placement services to those who agree to quit. It sounds like they are planning a reduction in force, and that there will be layoffs if enough people don't leave voluntarily. It's especially telling that your boss encouraged everyone to meet with the headhunter. It's a tough situation. Good luck!

I wouldn't say I hate it, but I have philosophical differences with the company that make me feel a bit "icky" at times. However, I'd take a $25-30k pay cut annually (depending on the bonus structure and how well our territory did as a group) in order to find something else. I have a hard time walking away from that kind of money.

So afterwards, I was just thinking are there people out there who have horrible jobs but stay because the money is too good?

yes, the most obvious are Disney park CM's. Many of the older CM's who have been there over 5 years know that at their age and level of work skills, they wont get a job which has the same health insurance and vacation package as Disney provide. I have spoken to CM's about this, CM's who would be aged 60 or older who would not be able to afford their medical bills without Disney health insurance, or CM's who at their age would not be able to afford their rent if they left Disney and got a similar type job.

DH’s massive company is going through a lot and I mean a lot of structure changes. With the constant changes, not feeling secured in his own job, being at the frontlines having to inform others they are out of their job, the constant denial of his earned PTO with 20+ years with the company, days off are non existent with the constant bombardment of work texts and emails, the company culture has changed, the headhunting for long term employees because they cost more, etc., the stress , the emotions, and yes some hate now of it all is starting to take a toll.

Due to this, we have been planning for his exit or a huge step back. He won’t walk due to the pay is so good, yet if he’s offered to walk he’s taking it and not looking back. Others have the same plan. IMHO if you even have the options to consider to stay, step back, or go you’re in a good place overall no matter what you decide. For most it’s not like this.

Simple answer - yes, I do. 13 years now and no end in sight. Good company, great pay, good benefits, good colleagues but a dreadful, dreadful job.

I always look at it with 3 components : do you like the people? Do you like the work? Do you like the pay? I think it is hard to have all 3...most people have 2.

I think it also depends on "too good." There is probably a certain amount (that differs for everyone) that gets them to the point of being comfortable. Once you are above that range, people have more flexibility in giving up pay.

However, I think giving up pay for another role thinking it is not big deal can cause a whole other set of stressful issues.

Last edited:
I have never had the luxury of being able to take a pay cut for more “satisfaction” or “enjoyment” from a job. I have left voluntarily jobs I absolutely hated, but never for less money.

I'm not 100% happy and looking at adding to my skills so that I can transition into a new position within a similar field.

I always look at it with 3 components : do you like the people? Do you like the work? Do you like the pay? I think it is hard to have all 3...most people have 2.

I like the people I work with and that is probably it. I like about half of what I do and hate the other half. I don't get paid particularly well. However, I can turn off the job once I leave for the day, weekend, or vacation. I could make more money in another company but I am in my early 60's. Age is an issue plus I hope to retire in 5-7 years. I don't want to have to start over again.

Right now, I'm sticking with a job that pays crap with little/no potential for more because of the other advantages it offers - namely, flexibility and the pleasure of working in some great communities (one of which happens to be the one I live in). A former coworker from a company I interned with keeps encouraging me to apply when they have full-time positions open up, but at this point in my life the longer commute, more rigid hours and a shift in the kind of work I'd be doing doesn't feel worth the bigger paycheck. Maybe someday - I did really enjoy working there, and it would be a much more challenging position - but not yet.

However, it's a huge red flag that your company is offering incentives and placement services to those who agree to quit. It sounds like they are planning a reduction in force, and that there will be layoffs if enough people don't leave voluntarily. It's especially telling that your boss encouraged everyone to meet with the headhunter. It's a tough situation. Good luck!

Our bosses recommended we all meet with this headhunter with no commitment and meetings are confidential.

So I had my session.. and it was really more a therapy session. (These sessions are confidential) .
Are you happy, what is job happiness, what are your personal goals, do you see yourself doing something completely different etc... ????

This headhunter was really great actually.

I agree with Luv Bunnies. The job of these HeadHunters/Actuaries is to hold private, confidential meetings with employees, start off by asking if the person is happy at their job, what else did they want to do before taking that current job, other goals they had/have, to be really great at giving a great, helpful therapy session, focusing the employee on what types of jobs and benefits they really want in a job. . . Basically give them hope and focus for how to find the next job and what to look for in it. . . once they've been handed a pink slip at their current job. . . :headache:

While what you said in the interview is confidential, at the end, this person may still have to make recommendations on who to fire/layoff. Basically everyone who goes in for an interview may like their job too, or they would have just accepted the voluntary packages & left. No need for an exit interview. So, just because you both talked about staying and how happy you are presently, that isn't a guarantee of anything. He clued you in on the specifics of jobs, perks - like a lesser commute, etc., would make you happiest. Just be aware your job may not be secure. Just saying this so you aren't completely blindsided. I do hope you get to stay at your job.

Two good movies to watch for the kind of interview you just had are:

Up In The Air, a George Clooney movie where he had to go around the country firing people. And all the interviews started out the same way as what you described. It's available for rental on Amazon Prime.

Wish Upon a Christmas, a Christmas movie that's currently re-airing on the Lifetime Channel this month. You don't have to watch the whole movie. Just record it and speed through to where she's interviewing, giving therapy & refocusing people & then firing them.

The next time it is re-airing seems to Dec 8th:

https://www.google.com/search?q=TV+schedule+Wish+Upon+a+Christmas

Last edited:
My friend refers to it "the Golden handcuffs"...he hates his job but is paid so much that it would be foolish to walk away and try and start over somewhere else, especially at his age. So, he stays.

My husband goes to work at a job he hates because it gives us medical and dental benefits, plus pension benefits. He's looked for an alternative, but nothing out there can match what he has, even if the pay is significantly higher than he's currently making. He sucks it up.

Here is a (cleaned up) clip from the Up In The Air, movie I mentioned above. There is no scene on YouTube of George, at the beginning of the movie, where he starts off firing employees by asking them all if they are happy at their jobs. This one is later on in the film.

Anna Kendricks' character has just said that there are positive benefits to being "let go." When the employee, (JK Simmons.) says he will be losing $90,000 in benefits, notice how George homes in on what will make JK happiest: his children's admiration and going after the next job that was once his dream and ultimately more happy & fulfilling than the one he's being let go of. He focuses on the type of job that will make him happiest, even though that means giving up $63,000 extra per year, the house they live in now and his children's medical insurance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter