Does everyone over plan?

Unfortunately, i need , i need, i have to go on everything, lol. I am planing now. So learning the rides etc. I think i needed more days, so i booked more, this way i can have some down time also. I do want to explore the campground a bit. I am thinking of renting a golf cart also......so much to think about!

Unfortunately, i need , i need, i have to go on everything, lol. I am planing now. So learning the rides etc. I think i needed more days, so i booked more, this way i can have some down time also. I do want to explore the campground a bit. I am thinking of renting a golf cart also......so much to think about!

Don't get overwhelmed - ask questions and we will help you. We have Fort experts, park experts, planning experts - I've noted over the past few years that many who frequent the camping boards know a lot about a lot, but each of us has certain areas of greater familiarity. As @bama_ed said to me when I met him after tapping into his (and others') expertise planning for a Fort trip a few years back, our job is to make you look good to your family! Ask away - we're happy to help.

Ok , here goes. How can you tell the park hours or magic hours ahead of time? Or is my october reservation too far out? I dont have hoppers and want to avoid the extra hour parks.

So far im thinking

Oct 29 arrive
Oct 30 mk
Oct 31 halloween at the fort
Nov 1 MNSSHP , so park at 4 till kid passes out
Nov 2 see my dad, he lives 90 min away
Nov 3 epcot
Nov 4 hs
Nov 5 mk and hopefully a be my guest dinner
Nov 6 rest
Nov 7 ak
Nov 8 mk or ak what ever my daughter likes best.
Leave on the 9th

So far thats all i got. But i had nothing when i started the thread. So that's progress. I even scoped out some rides.

With a just 8 year old , does this look good , or does epcot ( for the character meet ups) or another park warrant another day? I was thinking to get 1 more ticket and maybe just do meet ups?

We do our best to balance the planning and the spur of the moment. Some like it, others don't, but the reality of WDW travel today is that certain things NEED to be planned. If you don't get FP+ for certain rides at 60 days out, you may never have it and will find yourself waiting hours in line or missing out. If you don't making ADR's for dining, your options will be more limited. If you go frequently enough, and/or don't care about those things, you can wing it and have a great time. If there are 'must do' meals or attractions, however, you have to have them set up to make sure you don't stress about missing out.

For us, I have a spreadsheet for the trip that looks at schedules, projected crowd levels, special events, etc... Yes, this is the place where I overplan. However, it allows me to look at the trip as a whole, 6+ months out, and figure out what dining I want when (based on when I KNOW we want to be in the parks for FP+ and/or events). Once those are in place, 60 days out I have a strategy for FP+ (hardest ones booking later in the trip to give me more advantage). Once those are done - so am I. I have my FP+ and dining in place, and at least 1/2 of most days are 'open' with no expectation of being somewhere. We may stay in the park, we may go to DS or a pool, we may rest...we play all that by ear.

So, book what you NEED to, don't worry about what you don't, and then go have fun with whatever is in store that time around!
I have a spreadsheet, too! Park hours, EMH, special events, nighttime show times, etc. For me it's about "informed spontaneity". If we decide we want to change something on a whim? Great, but I don't want to accidentally get to a park at 10:30 that had morning EMH that morning. We don't do many ADRs at all, but FPs are unfortunately a 60-day affair now. I'll make those for 10, 11 & 12 to give some flexibility if we don't make rope drop while still wrapping up early in case we want to park hop. One or two nights per trip, I'll make FP+ reservations for things that are special at night (BTMRR, Splash, Everest, Rivers of Light, etc.) and use the opportunity to go to whichever park we feel like in the morning.

I printed off a blank calendar page and filled in the days with the parks we're attending, the EMH days and times and the ONE meal reservation we have.

It looks like the app helps you keep up with your fast pass reservations so that will be great inside the parks.

That's about all I have planned.

I'm 52 and I'm not sure I've ever been this excited (don't tell that to my kids)

We always plan to do parks that do NOT have EMH that day. So that decides which days we do which parks. We make FP and ADR once that is decided. We have an off day between each park day. As far as dining right now Cape May Café is the only one we do. In the late 90's & early 2000's we went from 5am to midnight everyday. We needed a vacation from our vacation. We went at Christmas time every year because of school.

@Sjm9911 - I'm going to try to tackle a couple of the questions you have noted above...

First - schedules. This far out, your best bet is to look at some of the online resources that have project park times. These will give you a 'peak' at what might be, but they are far from certain. For the most part, before the 6m window, WDW will release schedules for the time period you will be there. That said, it is important to note that those forecasted schedules can, and will, change. As crowd levels become more clear, Disney will flex closing hours especially. EMH and opening are less likely to change, but parks might stay open a bit later if crowds are going to be higher and/or close early for a special event that is planned at a later date. Especially with the lack of certainty with SWGE, the fall calendar is very fluid right now. If it is open when you go (my personal guess is that it will NOT be), expect parks to be open later and crowds to spike. If it is not yet open, the current projections will be closer to the end result. So, use it as a guide, but know that it will flex.

As for park visits, a lot of that, for us, revolves around FP+. There are certain restrictions regarding tiers in some parks, and that can play a role in how many times you want to visit a park. One thing that would be work consideration, in my mind, would be getting more days. If you are already buying 6-7 days, it is not a huge cost to go to 9 or 10. Every day for which you have tickets is another day you can get FP+ for 3 rides. We find that half days in the parks (or split days) using FP+ is better than trying to go all day. Because it allows for more FP+ reservations, I'd rather go for part of 8-10 days than all of 5-6. With a family of 3, you might be talking about $100-$125 to make that jump. For us, it would be more than worth it. Take a look at the rides with FP+, determine which ones you'd want to do, and see how that fits in your schedule.

Finally, regarding the Fort at Halloween, make sure you note some of the historic schedules for Halloween events (others can probably point you to them more readily than me). There are often events on 10/30 as well as 10/31 - some of which you really don't want to miss (can anyone say cart parade!!). I would plan mornings in parks for both of those days, but plan to be back be early afternoon for the Halloween events - but again, that goes back to having more entry days to use.

Each person's desires and priorities are different (ie - we ALWAYS have hoppers, many others never do), but this initial feedback will serve as some food for thought.

Have fun dreaming!!

Last trip, we discovered that we loved EMH Epcot at night, so I planned for that this time. We also did not get FPs at the 60day mark, so we will RD pretty much every day except Epcot Day 2/ World Showcase day, but also hang out until evening to try and ride some "just before closing" rides.

My "plan" is to use the Touring Plans lines app and schedule out a basic touring plan and just keep hitting the "optimize" button as we change our minds during the day. We have breakfast at the camper and will be bringing in lunch- or returning to the camper for lunch/nap/swim and going back to the parks for dinner and evening plans. I like to plan some but also don't want to miss things. We got one of the Disney guide books and let the kids pick their MUST DO things and everything else will just happen. We are not ADR type of folk right now with 4 kids so I'll just take advantage of mobile ordering for the CS places :) We might try to get a last minute ADR for Jungle Skipper Canteen though.
Mainly, I am planning to help pass the time hahaha!
Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 7.56.48 PM.png

9-10 hour drive - all fuel stops planned and miles calculated (to and from) along with checking Google satellite images to assure room for truck/trailer

All days at at parks planed out and FP's secured. Currently have 5 day hoppers.

Thursday is "hit the road day"! Reservations @ St Augustine KOA for Thursday night. 8 hours which leaves <2 hours for Friday

Day 1 - Friday is arrival day and is a FW day. Set up, pick up golf cart, relax and enjoy FW.

Day 2 - Saturday is a FW day / Saturday night we have Disney After Hours @ Hollywood Studios tickets! Hitting the park at 7pm!

Day 3 - Sunday is EMH @ Hollywood Studios (if we missed anything Saturday night). Late lunch Reservations at Sci-Fi. May hit another park in AM instead.

Day 4 - Monday is Animal Kingdom day! FP's are set and lunch reservations at Rain Forest Cafe. EMH 8am - 9am

Day 5 - Tuesday is Epcot day! FP's are set EMH 9pm - 11pm

Day 6 - Wednesday is MK Day! FP's are set. EMH 11pm - 1am

Day 7 - Thursday is open. Probe MK in the AM and AK in the PM. ROL @ AK FP @ 7:30pm

Day 8 - Friday is open. Either a FW/rest day or we'll spring for another 1 day ticket. Depends on how we feel.

Day 9 - Saturday is departure day... Reservations for Savannah South KOA

Day 10 - Sunday arrive home around 1pm

Whew...11 days and counting...

Lot of good posts. Good tips.

We heavily plan out most of our days but we always leave a few open to do whatever we want on the fly. And even if we plan out a day we can always change it up as we go.

The wife plans out everything for a Disney trip. Our first trips to Disney were fairly long 10 or 11 day trips. Each day there was something on the schedule. We had to be here or there everyday. We did a ton while there. It was nice just not as relaxing. My wife would have spreadsheets for everything from trip packing, trailer prep, days planning, and so on. The last 2 trips were "less" planned and more on the fly in 2017. However there is a certain amount of planning that needs to be done.

How can you tell the park hours or magic hours ahead of time?

Park hours will probably change from now until your trip. Just plan on what hours are listed now and if they get extended, that's a bonus!

Actually, I like your thinking about the park days and off days.

So far on my spreadsheet, when I add up every little thing, our trip this December (6 adults) is around $8K. So I DEFINITELY plan! ha! That is a lot of money so why would a person not plan? I love Disney. I try not to freak people out about how much I like to research!

That is very true. I know some might keel over after hearing that number as well. My family and I have been the same boat. DGPs, DA, DD, and of course us, 6 people adds up very quickly. Luckily with a Disney plan going in, cost can be managed and money can be saved before hand. I don't know how many times I have come in here and said, I walked away with money. In some cases, it was a very small CC bill like under $200 after everything. That is not really that bad for something that costs $1000s between tickets, campsite, ADRs, side adventures, etc. I am not even including the fuel and transportation costs either. The biggest thing I have always said was to save in small amounts using gift cards from club stores. The few points off from using those cards does make a difference down the road when it comes to having fun. Meals with 6 adults can be interesting especially if you have check fighters. I don't know how many times I tell the waiter or waitress to bring me the check only to have someone else pay. Strangely enough the campsite is the cheapest part and depending on the loop class and length, it's pretty freakin cheap in the overall. I don't want to think how much it's going to be the next trip down. Anyway..... Good luck with the planning.

That is very true. I know some might keel over after hearing that number as well. My family and I have been the same boat. DGPs, DA, DD, and of course us, 6 people adds up very quickly. Luckily with a Disney plan going in, cost can be managed and money can be saved before hand. I don't know how many times I have come in here and said, I walked away with money. In some cases, it was a very small CC bill like under $200 after everything. That is not really that bad for something that costs $1000s between tickets, campsite, ADRs, side adventures, etc. I am not even including the fuel and transportation costs either. The biggest thing I have always said was to save in small amounts using gift cards from club stores. The few points off from using those cards does make a difference down the road when it comes to having fun. Meals with 6 adults can be interesting especially if you have check fighters. I don't know how many times I tell the waiter or waitress to bring me the check only to have someone else pay. Strangely enough the campsite is the cheapest part and depending on the loop class and length, it's pretty freakin cheap in the overall. I don't want to think how much it's going to be the next trip down. Anyway..... Good luck with the planning.
Gift cards from BJ's is the best, easiest tip to save money. You don't even have to be a member. The only downside is you can't return them if you have to cancel for some reason. If you're giving Disney $8,000, saving 5% is $400. I'll take $400!

Last edited:
For me it's about "informed spontaneity".

I love that term!

That's kind of how I plan as well - ADRs, FPs, then some flexible time around those - but I know just the plan A, B, or C that could fill it, depending on our moods. :p

Ok , here goes. How can you tell the park hours or magic hours ahead of time? Or is my october reservation too far out? I dont have hoppers and want to avoid the extra hour parks.

So far im thinking

Oct 29 arrive
Oct 30 mk
Oct 31 halloween at the fort
Nov 1 MNSSHP , so park at 4 till kid passes out
Nov 2 see my dad, he lives 90 min away
Nov 3 epcot
Nov 4 hs
Nov 5 mk and hopefully a be my guest dinner
Nov 6 rest
Nov 7 ak
Nov 8 mk or ak what ever my daughter likes best.
Leave on the 9th

So far thats all i got. But i had nothing when i started the thread. So that's progress. I even scoped out some rides.

With a just 8 year old , does this look good , or does epcot ( for the character meet ups) or another park warrant another day? I was thinking to get 1 more ticket and maybe just do meet ups?

I think your plan looks good, and I love that you have some down time built in! (A big mistake some other first-timers make is to plan every second in the parks and then get too tired to enjoy it.)

About your Epcot question, it is a really spread out park, so yes, we've sometimes done two days there. - Maybe just keep it in the list for that flex day you've got built in Nov 8th? Your DD (DISboard slang for "Disney Daughter") might end up loving it, and wanting a 2nd day there instead of a 4th at MK. (Or she might just love AK and want more of that, which is fine too!)

We are going at the end of March, with just two adults. It is easy for us to spend a couple days at Epcot during the Flower and Garden festival. Besides looking at all the flowers, you can just walk, eat small plates, and drink around the world at a slow pace. I think that can be done at any time of the year in Epcot.

We are going at the end of March, with just two adults. It is easy for us to spend a couple days at Epcot during the Flower and Garden festival. Besides looking at all the flowers, you can just walk, eat small plates, and drink around the world at a slow pace. I think that can be done at any time of the year in Epcot.

We're looking forward to Epcot for the same reasons!

As in previous post, we pay a lot for our Disney vacation. We love Disney so it's worth it to us, but I do want to make sure we get my money's worth. We used to travel from Maine but now we travel from Tennessee, so we've cut the travel costs..lol. We usually visit for a 10 to 14 day period and usually get 6 to 8 day hopper passes and try to spread out the days we spend in the parks. I've researched and it appears that week days are least busiest, so we tend to make those park days. So on the weekends we usually stay at the resort/Fort, go to the water parks or Disney Spring. I think it's worth booking FP at the 60 day mark. We're coming down March 2020 so will definitely try and get fast passes for the high demand rides such as Galaxy's Edge rides for the morning and then leave that densely populated area and head over the less populated parts of HS, at least that's what someone else posted somewhere else and it made perfect sense. Since we're taking the camper, we'll save money by eating most meals there. But since there are 3 table service restaurants we enjoy I will reserve at 180 day mark and also do some counter service meals here and there. The last time we went, 3/2017 for the 5 of us it was almost $9,000. We stayed at ASMusic family suite, DDP, 6 day PHP+ tickets and 10day rental vehicle. This time there's only 3 of us and will run us $6600, for 14 days at the Fort, 10day PHP+, 2 day park to park Universal tickets, groceries and meals here and there. Can't wait for next year!!

I'm over planning even as I read this post, lol. I'll be at WDW late May-early June, and I cannot wait. I'm planning two ADRs, and I'll try to score a few FPs on the day they open up for me. This is our first trip without the kids (*We did one random day at MK while in Orlando for a conference.), so it will be different for us. As of now, I'm planning to eat breakfast and dinner in the RV and do snacks/small meals for lunch. We'll probably return to one of the parks at night after we eat dinner. I've planned to spend Sat/Sun at The Fort to avoid some of the heavier crowds. I printed a weekly calendar, and I've marked the days (according to the current calendar) for EMH (am/pm) for each day of our visit. I'll probably decide which parks to go to based on my FPs, but we'll see. We're there for the last few days of the Flower and Garden Festival, so I'm hoping to drink/snack my way around Epcot even if we split it up. MK and Epcot are my favorite parks. We'll probably spend the majority of our time in those areas, but I want to do the "Up Close with Rhinos" or "Giants" if I can get a reservation for one of them. I'm super excited! :flower1::tigger:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter