Dog’s Ear Won’t Stand Up

StitchesGr8Fan

DIS Veteran
We have a GSD puppy who just turned 6 months. The tip of his one ear still doesn’t stand up. We do not want to do any medical intervention because it seems cruel to do something for an issue that is purely cosmetic. But has anyone had a dogs ear finally stand up at 7-8 months?

Had a corgi pup many years ago. Used a tape (not super sticky, some type of medical bandage tape) to lightly wrap the ear to help it stand up. After a few weeks the ear was able to stand on its own. I can’t remember what kind of tape we used. His breeder suggested it. Maybe find a GSD forum online and ask for suggestions.

I have the opposite problem. My mixed breed is about 10 months old. One ear stand up really well, the other is floppy. I prefer the floppy.

I used to have a mixed GSD who had one tip of one ear that flopped. We could never get it to stand straight.

So collie people have some tape they use specifically for ears-you can probably google Japanese ear tape and find it. Also call the breeder-as if it is normal for them not to be erect by 6 months-some lines mature slower than others and that may be part of the process. For those of you who say floppy ears are cute-true they are but if the OP is hoping to show, compete with or breed the dog the floppy ear is a disqualifying fault-doesn't keep him from being an awesome pet but they need to know if its going to work out.

This thread is no good without pictures!

I take it he is purebred? Have you spoken to the breeder about it? I’ve had six GSDs and never had that problem, not sure how to advise other than to say I have always been warned not to try to manipulate the ears. I think looking at the GSD forums is a good idea as I’m sure the topic has come up there before.

F3129D8A-097D-40DA-B6EB-DF42FC973EB8.jpeg

Last edited:
My friend had a giant malamute whose adorable giant floppy ears wouldn't stand up. She taped them like suggested and the poor dog got ear infections in both ears.

Our neighbors had one whose second ear never stood completely up, she was adorable that way though.

Oh, I hope you don't care. My boxer we had, the breeder was a not a good one, and butchered her tail, but thankfully did not try to set her ears up. She was so cute with floppy ears, that we would never ever want to butterfly and force them just for looks. Yep, picture of your cute pup would be nice to see.

My friend had a giant malamute whose adorable giant floppy ears wouldn't stand up. She taped them like suggested and the poor dog got ear infections in both ears.
If it is not done correctly and with tape specifically designed for this purpose that will happen. Taping ears is not to be done lightly and I honestly don't know if it should be done on GSDs-not my breed-it was just a suggestion as to where to look for the correct product. First and formost contact with the breeder is the way to go.

Yes, he is purebred, and yes, the breeder knows. This is her first time breeding this dad, so we are learning about the bloodline together! Lol. As you can see, it is just the tip, so no risk of infections. And he is a plush coat, so he will stay this fluffy. (It’s the number 1 thing people ask when they meet him.)

Attachments

• B7FF4378-CF39-42FA-91D8-6134395AE186.jpeg
    B7FF4378-CF39-42FA-91D8-6134395AE186.jpeg
    77 KB · Views: 29
Yes, he is purebred, and yes, the breeder knows. This is her first time breeding this dad, so we are learning about the bloodline together! Lol. As you can see, it is just the tip, so no risk of infections. And he is a plush coat, so he will stay this fluffy. (It’s the number 1 thing people ask when they meet him.)
Oh, he is adorable!! :lovestruc

You know, it may, or it may not. But as others have said, he’s beautiful regardless, and if it doesn’t come up, it will just add to his charm! I have seen many GSDs who have a similar look. It won’t change anything else about him.

Breed standard for a Wire Fox is ears down. Our old man (in back) has both ears up and we love him. Our new pup started off down but one sucker kept standing up, we thought about gluing it but figured let it be. He just bleeds personality and the ^ v is just to cute.

Btw, my current dog’s ear is the reason he found his way to us. It is misshapen. If it weren’t, he had the potential to be a champion show dog as many of his relatives are, including his brother, but his breeder reluctantly let him go. We call it his lucky ear! :laughing: You can’t really notice it much now as his ear hair is longer, but honestly, I was going for health and temperament and didn’t really care much about his physical faults. We’ve had some (sort of) funny things happen that add to our family doggie folklore, like the day the groomer sent him home and we thought something was wrong with him as he was acting funny - until the panicked groomer called to say, “Your dog has a crick in his ear, right?”, while the dog standing in front of us did not!:rotfl2:(They’d given is the wrong dog, his twin apparently, and our dog went home to his house where the doggie brother immediately rejected him, lol.) It’s all good.

253ECC9B-1ABF-4E02-B3E8-65966FB5E743.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter