Doggie Bags at Ohana?

gaugerla

Earning My Ears
My husband and I have an ADR for dinner at Ohana for our November trip. The food that they serve looks great, but unfortunately due to a stomach condition that my husband has, he can not eat large quantities of food at a time. In fact, he can only have very small servings during mealtimes. My question is this: are doggie bags at Ohana allowed or are they frowned upon? We're not trying to load up and take a ton of food back to the villa with us, but we'd like to at least get a "normal" serving's worth out of it and have leftovers for my husband to eat at a later time.

I am trying to decide if I should keep my reservations or just switch to a different restaurant. We have seen Ohana's menu and love what we see, but if they do not allow doggie bags I think I may have to reconsider our reservations for our date night.

Any thoughts?

I don't think they'd allow it, but you can always call up Disney and ask - especially if you can bring a note from a doctor to verify it.

Sorry, they won't let you take food from an all you can eat restaurant.

I do not know if they will make a special dispensation for him because he has a medical condition, but I don't think so. I don't believe this can be done at buffets either.

I have to say I wouldn't do a date night at 'Ohana anyway - it's way too raucous.

Ohana is an "all you can eat" place, served family style. No they won't allow a doggie bag. Sorry.

Maybe we were just a fluke but last December they allowed us to take our leftovers with us. I'm thinking all we took were the yummy noodles and some bread. Worth asking as least!

'Ohana is an all-you-can-eat kind of a place, and you should never expect to take a doggie bag home from such a restaurant.

Having said that...

My locally based sister and her family met us at Whispering Canyon for dinner on one trip, and three of us ordered the skillet. And they were allowed to take home the remainder of the skillet (a refill at that!)

So... don't expect it, don't be disappointed if it doesn't happen, but it might! With a medical note in hand, I would see what would come of talking to somebody in the restaurant.

They WILL let you take the food that is on your plate with you...when we went last time my dh did not feel good and they packed up a box for us and even a box of the bread pudding to take with us with no problem..even the mang asked if we wanted a box of bread.WDW is not like most places and not a walk up buffet so maybe they care a little less.

Can you just have a zipoc in your purse and put any extras in there? I was considering doing this with DS because he tends to be a snacker, not an eater. :confused3 It's not like I would take the whole buffet line - just a pastry or bagel or something.

I guess it depends on your server. When we were there in June, they would not box my son's Peanut butter and jelly(he doesn't eat the grilled meats and such so they let kids order something else at the all you can eat price. 16.95 for PB&J and they wouldn't box)

The rule is that you can't box up items at a buffet or all you care to eat location. There are exceptions made on occasion (as noted previously in the post), but it's safer to go in expecting that you can't box anything. You may have an experience like ScrappyRN.

Ususally the answer will be no. Maybe if there is just a small amt on his dish no problem.

On the other hand you never know. We at at WCC (skillet all you can eat) and asked for a little more and they brought out the whole skillet filled and when we left they packed it all up. (along with a bday cake) I thought it was really odd but they did (we were one of the last people there though so maybe that had to do with it) can't hurt to ask but not the norm.

I totally understand that you shouldn't be able to ask for more food and then have that boxed up - but I think it would be a real shame (and a waste!!) not to be able to box up the 'leftovers' from your table - its not like they are going to take them back to serve to someone else - at least I hope they aren't!!!:lmao:

I have booked O'Hanas at Christmas purely to try the dessert that everyone raves about, but I don't think DH will like it, so I am planning to use the tip recommended by someone else earlier in the thread and put DH's leftover dessert into a ziploc bag and I will have 'seconds' later on before bedtime if its that good!!:goodvibes

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I think I am going to cancel my Ohana ADR. Not sure what I will replace it with (if anything) since it is last minute, but I just think that it would be a waste of money to go there and not be able to bring anything home. We'll have a good time regardless. And my husband would be mortified to bring in a doctor's note just to get a doggie bag!

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I think I am going to cancel my Ohana ADR. Not sure what I will replace it with (if anything) since it is last minute, but I just think that it would be a waste of money to go there and not be able to bring anything home. We'll have a good time regardless. And my husband would be mortified to bring in a doctor's note just to get a doggie bag!

You're welcome. I really don't think you would need a Dr. note, but, as with all you can eat type places, they really don't have doggie bags. In my example, I was VERY surprised the waiter even asked if we wanted to take leftovers with us at (WCC) You can wait up to the day of to cancel if you like and are not rescheduling. Maybe you could ask at the restaurant prior to see what they say. Honestly, I never eat much at an all you can eat, not really worth it for me. But, my husband can eat enough for both of us even though you would never think that looking at him! (34" waist!)

Probably good you switched. There are plenty of good restaurants in WDW where you can get a doggie bag with no issues.

Once at WCC DH and I each ordered the skillet.
The first skillet was disappointingly skimpy.
Our refill skillet was overflowing. :confused3 (Had they given us that serving the first time there would not have been a need for a refill skillet.)
Needless to say a lot of food was just going to be tossed, so I asked the server due to this if we could take the remainder to go.
The server did, but definitely on the sly, under the table. And I think the server only did so because of knowing the first skillet was not enough for one person, let alone two.

It is such a shame too, all that wasted food. I so wish I could brought home our left over bread pudding for later, it is soooooooo good!!

I wonder if its different at WCC for some reason. On one of our trips, I hadnt been feeling good (headache and asthma) so while I was hungry, I didnt want to go to dinner. We were staying at WL so my parents went without me and they brought back the leftovers from their skillet (plus extra corn bread) and a dessert up for me. So I dont know if WCC is more lenient about this or what but we have never been to Ohana's so I cant comment on it.

Its funny because I was told once while on deluxe dinning plan that Wolfgang Pucks Cafe would not do takeaway for me on the dinning plan to take back to my room. That they are technically not supposed to doggie bag stuff for dinning plan people at all which is totally ridiculous. It was not like I was trying to use my meal points for someone else. I was clearly pregnant and sick. I just wanted to lay in bed with my favorite meal from the sit down restaurant and watch bad tv. Not to mention they were overbooked from free dinning. I guess they felt since I was alone I could sit at the bar.

Anyways I was allowed to take away my dinner entree from Akershus tonight which surprised me since appetizer was all you can eat. But I guess since entree was not they had no trouble letting me box it up.

B

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter