Donating Points

Kyleh552

Earning My Ears
Not sure if this has ever been mentioned or even possible but here's my thought. Since owning my DVC there have been at least 2 occasions in which I had a negligible amount of points that had already been banked as long as possible and I was willing to let them expire. If I have found myself in this situation I would assume many owners have had the same experience. So I am wondering for those of us with small amounts of points that we are certain we will not be able to use/bank before expiration maybe there's a way we could all donate the points adding up to a more substantial vacation that could be given to a family that could otherwise never afford it.

Nice idea....but nearly impossible with a handful of points for several reasons.

1) Banked points can not be transferred to another member, so transferring to a central person to coordinate the donation is not possible.
2) Since a transfer isn't possible, you would need enough points to reserve a night somewhere for the charity/coordinating entity.
3) Members are allowed only one transfer in or out of their account per year, so even if you could transfer a few points to someone, no one else could transfer points to the same person to put together enough points for a reservation. And the person who received the transfer could not transfer them to another member.
4) Assuming you have enough points for at least a night, you would need to call and book the room in the recipients name, and you, as the member, would be responsible for any damage or outstanding room charge balance left by the recipient.
5) Some members do use their points to give them to a good cause, this is usually done by booking a few nights, and then posting the information (resort , room type and dates) in a local charity silent auction. And the member still assumes the liability for outstanding balances and damages, just like with a DVC Points rental.

5) Some members do use their points to give them to a good cause, this is usually done by booking a few nights, and then posting the information (resort , room type and dates) in a local charity silent auction. And the member still assumes the liability for outstanding balances and damages, just like with a DVC Points rental.

While it is not the point of the original question, I will add for informational purposes that donating stays to charity is not tax deductible.

It's to bad that someone at DVC hasn't thought up a way for DVC members to donate and pool "left over points" to charities like "Make a Wish" or other kids charities, I'm sure more than a few owners have left over points and would love to donate them.

It's to bad that someone at DVC hasn't thought up a way for DVC members to donate and pool "left over points" to charities like "Make a Wish" or other kids charities, I'm sure more than a few owners have left over points and would love to donate them.
Disney already works with charities like this so it really isn't necessary to do it in this manner. Give Kids the World is a fantastic organization assisting kids and their families for Orlando vacations.

Disney would rather they just expire without being used. Free rooms for them to book.

Exactly, unused points eventually translates into pooled points for "Breakage Inventory" rooms, which are rented for cash by Disney, with a portion of the proceeds slightly offsetting dues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter