DS Afraid of Characters

debster812

<font color=blue>DIS Earth Angel!<br><font color=0
Hi All,

Anyone have any experience with this? My DS is almost 4 and we are just coming out of over a week of him waking up in the middle of the night, screaming, sobbing, saying that 'they are going to get him'. Well, using my amateur pyschiatry degree (most parents have them) we put 2 and 2 together and figured out he was afraid of the Easter Bunny, because he had seen on in a mall (and it was CREEPY) and the episodes have been tapering off since then. How do you all think he will react to the characters in the World? We are going in Sept (provided DH is not on strike, but that's another story all together).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Debster

We just returned from our trip last week and my 2 year old nephew is also terrified of characters, we already suspected he wouldn't like them because he is so frightened of Chuckie everytime we go to Chuck E' Cheese. We just let him stay as far back from the characters at WDW as he pleased and didn't pressure him to go near them, he just stood back and watched our other 4 kids go up and get photos and hugs but even with them all doing it he still wasn't interested in joining them. I'm sure he'll be ok if you just let him decide how he wants to deal with the characters - it's not like they are just strolling around everywhere in the parks either, you pretty much have to go to where they are located and wait in line to see them. :)

My DS(2) is also scared of the Easter Bunny and Chuck E. Cheese. So I assumed he would be scared of the characters in Disney. We leave in 21 days, so over the last three months I have bought 4 Disney Sing Along Videos.

There are wonderful!!!! They show the characters with children dancing and singing!! The four videos I bought are also giving my DS(5) a glipse of the scernery and rides. The videos include; Disneyland, Fort Wilderness, River Country, Typhoon Lagoon, Blizzard Beach and Animal Kingdom.

I recommend trying these to help your child see what to expect in Disney World. Now when I ask my DS(2) about Disney World and Mickey Mouse he is excited and not so scared. Hope it works when we get there! If not, I will let him keep his distance and hopefully warm up to the characters.

Kim

I TOO HAVE A DAUGHTER (5) WHO IS DEATHLY AFRAID OF CHUCKIE CHEESE AND ANY OTHER WALKING "BIG HEAD" AS SHE CALLS THEM.

IT HELPED HER A LITTLE BIT TO MEET THE CRAZY TEEN AGE WAITER WHO PLAYED CHUCKIE IN COSTUME. HE TALKED TO HER AND SHE AGREED TO SHAKE HIS HAND.

THAT SAID-- WE'RE GOING IN MAY AND SHE IS STILL NOT SURE ABOUT THE CHARACTERS. I WISH I COULD KNOW THAT SHE'LL BE HUGGING MICKEY AND MINNIE, BUT
I'LL JUST HAVE TO ENJOY MY 8 YEAR OLD HUGGING HIM!!

Jill THE DISNEY FANATIC

Just don't push them into anything...like don't book a dozen character meals--you know what I mean? ;)
Since the characters in the parks don't usually approach, you have to approach them, that should be no problem. If one does come up, politely let them know that your child is frightened by the characters. The people who play these characters are used to all types of children's behavior and reactions, and will back off.
I like the idea of the Disney Sing a Long videos--that could really help!
Also, you might want to start the child on the face characters, like the Princesses, Mary Poppins or Peter Pan--these don't seem to be as frightening because the child can see their faces, and they don't seem so HUGE!
Good Luck to you, and have a terrific time

:) :cool:

Have a Wonderful day, Eeyore

We encountered the same thing, quite unexpectedly. Basically we just avoided them (which was no hardship to us, we would rather be on rides than getting autographs anyway). We did bring the kids to the princess breakfast at the castle though. That proved to be wonderful for us. The kids weren't scared, they were able to talk with them, get their autographs, pictures, etc. While watching the afternoon parade we even saw Peter Pan from the breakfast and he called out to them. I think that if you're just aware of any characters in the vicinity and try to avoid them you'll be fine. It's just a phase your DS is going through and on your next trip he'll probably be begging you to take him to all the characters!! :D

Start with the face characters first. Look a your schedule for the day and find out where they will be.

You might also try the Disney videos "A Day at Disneyland' etc. They have a the characters interacting with kids. They are available at Toys R Us.This might lessen the blow!

The characters are so big in real life to a little one that all the videos in the world won't prepare him/her. We have a 4 y.o. so we couldn't avoid the character meals, but we did limit them and sat 2 y.o. on inside of table, farthest from where characters greeted older dd. We did do Cindy's and she was fine, of course. Highlight of her trip in fact.

You all pretty much reinforced what I had already expected. Not to push, and let him lead the way. I never thought of trying out the face characters first, that's a great idea. I don't care if he wants nothing to do with characters, I just don't want to set off more nightmares for my sweetie, it just ripped my heart out last week.

Thanks again for all the good advice, y'all came through again!!

Thanks

DS had the same problem on his first trip to Disney World. What we did was book a small character lunch at the Garden Grill. It is small and intimate. He had the choice of whether or not he wanted to see them!! By the middle of the breakfast he was letting the character that played Chip feed him the rest of his macaroni and cheese!! It was the cutest thing. Luckily we got it on video tape!!

I agree about not forcing the issue though! If you want try to let him see the characters reacting with other children in the park. From a distance. If he sees them interacting with other children his age he might be a bit more receptive to them!!

:bounce: :bounce: :jester:

We have four DD's on our last trip to WDW the baby was terrified of the characters IF they got too close...She was so excited to see them but at a distance!! If you do go to a character meal and your DS seems afraid you can just inform the character or a CM that they can skip your table. Then he can get comfortable at a distance. Then next time you go you probably won't be able to pry him away from them!!

Just had to share this one...we were at Crystal Palace 2 years ago...and Piglet leaned down to place a kiss on the top of the babies head, my three year old DD jumped up on the table yelling, "DON'T YOU TOUCH MY SISTER!!!". Piglet made a quick retreat and everyone in the CP was hysterical!! No permanent emotional scars, I hope...

Even if your kids don't, the characters are quite sensitive to this, and do not push at all. My DD did not want anything to do with Alladin, or Pluto, the first day. We had our princess breakfast the 2nd day, and by the end she was giving them her autograph book, and hugs, and kisses. The entire trip was wonderful to see her come out of her shell a bit. She is alot less clingy.

Good Luck, and have a fantastic trip.:pinkbounc :bounce: :pinkbounc

My DS has been to WDW 3 times, he'll be 4 this week. He will not go near costume characters on a bet, though he likes to watch them from a distance (about 25-30 feet is as close as he will get.)

We have all of the Sing Along Songs park videos, and he watches them all the time, and has done since he was 2; they worked well for getting him prepared for riding the rides, but he still doesn't like characters in real life. Their size is the problem. On TV they are only 10 inches tall, but like that old commercial says, "In real life, Goofy could beat up Dad!"

Look on the bright side. You won't have to spend precious park time in autograph lines, and you can base your restaurant choices on the food instead of what characters are appearing.

The only character 'meal' we do is the Epcot Ice Cream Social. No matter how nervous he is he can't resist ice cream. However, he's still convinced that Mickey Mouse is out to steal the ice cream, so he crouches over it like a dog with a bone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter