DVC Purchase Prices

Dan C

Earning My Ears
Looking over the ROFR thread the past couple of months, it seems actual reported sale prices are much lower than the listings, and they are getting through Disney too!

I hesitate to offer $120 for a $135-$140 pp contract so as not to insult the sellers and be denied right off the bat, but it seems that is what most people must be doing?

Any one with any other insights?

Keep in mind that the people posting on that thread represent a very tiny fraction of those who are buying DVC. They are also people who are "in the know" enough to have an account on Disboards. Every circumstance is different, but some of them may have been searching the resale market for months, looking for the perfect deal.
There is a DVC reseller who is not a sponsor of this board, but who keeps a blog of their average sales prices and ROFR data. I found that to be just as helpful as the ROFR thread here, as it represented a different set of buyers.

As for can you offer $120? Of course you can. I would just make sure you know exactly why that price is fair to both parties, and be ready to take a flat out "no" as an answer.

Last edited:
Resale is a business transaction - usually with a stranger. Don't worry about "insulting" anyone. Offer what you are willing to pay and if the seller is "insulted", that's on them. Some sellers (and buyers) have no idea what the true market value of a contract happens to be. Either party to the transaction can just say no if the deal isn't right for them. Good luck!

Resale is a business transaction - usually with a stranger. Don't worry about "insulting" anyone. Offer what you are willing to pay and if the seller is "insulted", that's on them. Some sellers (and buyers) have no idea what the true market value of a contract happens to be. Either party to the transaction can just say no if the deal isn't right for them. Good luck!

Agree with this. It's business. As a seller you want to maximize your profit, as a buyer you want to pay the least you can.

If you are a potential buyer making a lower offer don't be "insulted" if the seller isn't interested in making any counter offer either. In the end a contract is only worth what someone will pay for it. You may not be willing to pay it but someone else may. But they may not. Only way you will know is if you give it a shot.

There is a DVC reseller who is not a sponsor of this board, but who keeps a blog of their average sales prices and ROFR data. I found that to be just as helpful as the ROFR thread here, as it represented a different set of buyers.
Where can we find this? TIA!

Make an offer you consider fair. If the seller wants to hold out for more, they'll either reject it or counter offer.

Keep in mind that there are some brokers (reported on disboards) that will tell you that they will not submit offers significantly less than the asking price, or will tell you that the seller is only interested in full price offers. To those losers, tell them that they are required by Florida law to submit your offer, no matter what it is.

Where can we find this? TIA!

Pretty sure I can't say becsuse they compete with a disboards sponsor for sales. Just Google search ROFR blog and you should be able to easily find it. They post monthly reports.

And, by the way, I love the Timeshare store. Great customer service. If you email Jason there, he may be able to tell you what he considers a reasonable offer to be these days.

Pretty sure I can't say becsuse they compete with a disboards sponsor for sales. Just Google search ROFR blog and you should be able to easily find it. They post monthly reports.

And, by the way, I love the Timeshare store. Great customer service. If you email Jason there, he may be able to tell you what he considers a reasonable offer to be these days.
So many people have this misconception. You are allowed to mention competitors of the boards' sponsor. Also when you post a link, you can then preview your post and if mentioning that link is find it will not be starred out in the preview.

So many people have this misconception. You are allowed to mention competitors of the boards' sponsor. Also when you post a link, you can then preview your post and if mentioning that link is find it will not be starred out in the preview.

Just checked out the rules and it does mention dvcresale market as being an approved link. Others are not, though, which is why I was conservative in my posting. Thanks for giving Sheryl the correct link, though.

Just checked out the rules and it does mention dvcresale market as being an approved link. Others are not, though, which is why I was conservative in my posting. Thanks for giving Sheryl the correct link, though.
Thank you both!!

Keep in mind that the people posting on that thread represent a very tiny fraction of those who are buying DVC. They are also people who are "in the know" enough to have an account on Disboards. Every circumstance is different, but some of them may have been searching the resale market for months, looking for the perfect deal.

As for can you offer $120? Of course you can. I would just make sure you know exactly why that price is fair to both parties, and be ready to take a flat out "no" as an answer.

I guess most of my surprise at those prices is that it was much lower than current listings, and Disney did not claim the contracts.

Agree that our ROFR board represents but a snapshot of total DVC sales. But, I have on a couple of occasions created my own ROFR “thread” from OCC sales records and my calculated average sales price, our ROFR board prices (Thank you @pangyal) and those from the broker ROFR’s have been remarkably similar.

I guess most of my surprise at those prices is that it was much lower than current listings, and Disney did not claim the contracts.
Some of those lower prices could be great negotiations, but others are full price offers on contracts that never hit the listings on the actual websites.

For those of you who may be relatively new to the DIS DVC Forums:

As posted by others earlier in this thread, you need to post a link to any business you wish to discuss on the DIS. If the link appears with ******* replacing any part of that link, the DIS site filter has done its job and that particular business should not be discussed here.

If you do not post a link and discuss a business that is in the site's filter, your post may be deleted and a warning/infraction issued. Please note that attempts to bypass the filter (including suggestions to "google") could also result in warnings, infractions and/or loss of posting privileges.

More information may be found in the pinned thread:

A word about DIS advertisers - Please post a link to any business you wish to mention

You can also be creative in your offer. If you don't want to decrease the pont value too much (worried it might increase chances of it being taken in ROFR, not sure if restructuring the deal makes much diffreence), you can offer a slightly lower point value and have the seller pay closing costs. Like any business tranaction, the only rule is both sides must agree on the deal.

Keep in mind that the listings that you see on resale sites undoubtedly skew high, because the higher the price/more stripped the contract/etc. the more likely it won't sell quickly, thus staying listed for longer while the less expensive/loaded contracts are taken and removed from the listings pretty fast.
This year has been a bit crazy from a price perspective, IMO, as prices have been going up, thus what the going rate was 3 months ago when someone negotiated the contract you see in ROFR may no longer be the going rate.
Finally, some sellers may list high, expecting lower offers, some sellers may just list at what they will take w/ no interest in negotiating, some sellers may list at the price they need to pay their dues, loan and commission and can't really go lower. You won't know which of these you are dealing with until you offer.

I wouldn't be afraid of insulting a seller. As others have said, a seller will either refuse outright or counter. You could be pleasantly surprised. There seems to be much more variability in what sellers are asking since prices went a little bananas over the summer. My guess is that some of this could be related to different sellers being differently motivated.

For our BLT contract in March, I offered $5 pp less than asking, but the asking price was pretty reasonable anyway. The sellers immediately countered at $1 more than my opening offer. That was a no brainer! In looking over the ROFRs in that time period, it was definitely within the range of $per point where some were taken and some passed.

For our more recent VGF contract, I think we got a great deal - there was a contract that had a lower asking price than most of the ones out there (no points until 2018 though), and that one the seller stood firm at $2 below asking.

With both of these, I used the guesstimated "average" asking price on Fidelity since they tended to have lower ask prices, and kept a close eye on contracts that were recently reduced or had yet to show up on the site (my BLT contract). I also think we got lucky with some motivated sellers. In Nov-Dec, I made several (lost count) lowball offers on BCV and BWV, and most of those didn't make it out of the starting box. Those offers were still higher than 1-2 contracts that I saw on the ROFR thread as making it through, so I know they weren't insulting to *every* seller ... but those sellers weren't motivated enough yet. Oh well, I think I ended up with a better deal in the end, anyway.

I offered $15 below asking on a contract that wasn't crazily overpriced compared to some listings and it was accepted, so you never know.

As kboo said, different sellers have different motivations, and you won't know until you ask. I think it's more important to do your research (through the ROFR thread and broker reports), crunch the numbers for your situation, and decide what is the highest you'll pay for X amount of points (with some variation for a perfect UY, if that's important to you, and if the contract is stripped or loaded).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter