• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DVC Rental Cancellation/Insurance - Need Help!

Although David may or may not allow a change, in reality this is far enough away that the reservation could be cancelled, points put back into owers account and then re-rented to another renter. Of course, there may be some wasted points and there should be a fee for this change, but it is entirely possible to do, you just have to convince him to allow this change and offer a fair fee.

Although David may or may not allow a change, in reality this is far enough away that the reservation could be cancelled, points put back into owers account and then re-rented to another renter. Of course, there may be some wasted points and there should be a fee for this change, but it is entirely possible to do, you just have to convince him to allow this change and offer a fair fee.
IMO this is one of the advantages of working with an individual. For a one time thing the brokers might be the best but for those looking at renting periodically, finding an individual might be best. More control, direct line of communication and more potential flexibility, the ability to plan ahead plus possibly a little cheaper in some cases.

IMO, one the owner advantages of working thru David's is that there are no changes/cancellations. Once the points are used for a rental, it's a done deal. No clawing back the points, no returning the deposit to David's (how many owners may have already spent that money?) and no working to secure a new reservation for a new renter. There's a reason that owners rent thru places like David's instead of on their own. They accept less money for their points for the low-hassle transaction.

If I were renting directly to the guest, then it would be a different story. It's something that I would be willing to do, knowing that the renter has accepted the slight increase in risk by working with me instead of an agency. And I'm keeping all of the money, so I'd be willing to be flexible in exchange for that extra cash in my pocket.

These unfortunately are the risks of renting.:scared1: Even if I weren't a DVC owner, I certainly don't have the "personality" of what ifs and risks for expensive vacations when deciding to rent points.:eek:::yes::
CONGRATULATIONS on your news!:cheer2:

You don't need to convince David, he has no control over the transaction, David would need to convince the owner. And why should David do that? Why should the owner do that? David's business model works because he offers owners the ability to rent out their points with almost no hassle. If he starts to create hassle for the owner or himself, then the business model falls apart. Owners willing to deal with the hassle rent out their points as individuals and pocket a few more bucks. If I'm going to have to deal with David or his staff trying to convince me to be a nice guy, why am I using David?

Plus, you have zero information to make that statement. If the points expire on October 31st, at this point, your statement is not true at all. In March it was more true, but you were still on the seven month window for points expiring, which means that the points are worth less, and availability will quickly get spotty. If points were borrowed, that's going to increase risk.

I wonder what has happened.

We may never know. The OP has not replied to the thread, nor posted on on the DISBoards since starting the thread.

I've been wondering the same..... hate when new posters come on forums with a serious issue asking for advice and never respond back with how things came out. Hopefully all turned out okay. And at least they have a sweet little baby on the way! :love:

IMO, one the owner advantages of working thru David's is that there are no changes/cancellations. Once the points are used for a rental, it's a done deal. No clawing back the points, no returning the deposit to David's (how many owners may have already spent that money?) and no working to secure a new reservation for a new renter. There's a reason that owners rent thru places like David's instead of on their own. They accept less money for their points for the low-hassle transaction.

If I were renting directly to the guest, then it would be a different story. It's something that I would be willing to do, knowing that the renter has accepted the slight increase in risk by working with me instead of an agency. And I'm keeping all of the money, so I'd be willing to be flexible in exchange for that extra cash in my pocket.
Yeah, if I were renting directly to the guest, I would try to work something out, perhaps changing dates or finding someone else to rent to, if they had me do the legwork, I would charge more than if they did the legwork of finding someone of course.

You don't need to convince David, he has no control over the transaction, David would need to convince the owner. And why should David do that? Why should the owner do that? David's business model works because he offers owners the ability to rent out their points with almost no hassle. If he starts to create hassle for the owner or himself, then the business model falls apart. Owners willing to deal with the hassle rent out their points as individuals and pocket a few more bucks. If I'm going to have to deal with David or his staff trying to convince me to be a nice guy, why am I using David?

Plus, you have zero information to make that statement. If the points expire on October 31st, at this point, your statement is not true at all. In March it was more true, but you were still on the seven month window for points expiring, which means that the points are worth less, and availability will quickly get spotty. If points were borrowed, that's going to increase risk.
If I were renting through Davids and they asked, I would consider it, especially if the renter already had someone lined up to take over the reservation.

I've been wondering the same..... hate when new posters come on forums with a serious issue asking for advice and never respond back with how things came out. Hopefully all turned out okay. And at least they have a sweet little baby on the way! :love:
Regardless of whether the OP comes back a lot of the great advice and guidance being provided here will help a lot of others in the community who are thinking about similar situations; in this case, perhaps weighing the pitfalls and benefits of renting from/to individuals.

I’d argue there’s more value to that end than there is just to the OP.

That said, yeah, it’s like getting into a show that gets cancelled after a big reveal or cliffhanger. What the hell, @GOLDENGNOME ?! :)

Regardless of whether the OP comes back a lot of the great advice and guidance being provided here will help a lot of others in the community who are thinking about similar situations; in this case, perhaps weighing the pitfalls and benefits of renting from/to individuals.

I’d argue there’s more value to that end than there is just to the OP.

That said, yeah, it’s like getting into a show that gets cancelled after a big reveal or cliffhanger. What the hell, @GOLDENGNOME ?! :)

Well said, Bing Showei. Well said. :cutie:

The issue is CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Sure David could stick with his NO CHANGES policy, but why not at least offer the option to make a change for a fee? I am NOT saying refund the money immediately, I am saying cancel the reservation and try to re-rent the points to someone else (that is relatively easy to do) and do not refund any unused points and share a processing fee for the change. That way the customer does not lose 100% of the money they spent on this trip and everyone should be happy.

Of course, if David does not want to do that.....then rent points from private owners (not brokers) that are willing to provide extra customer service. I have rented DVC points dozens of times over the past 15 years and I would estimate less only 5% of the time someone wants to make a change and I gladly do it for them and pass on the extra cost if it is more points and do not refund points in the event the change uses less points as those points would generally go to waste anyways.

Sure David could stick with his NO CHANGES policy, but why not at least offer the option to make a change for a fee? I am NOT saying refund the money immediately, I am saying cancel the reservation and try to re-rent the points to someone else (that is relatively easy to do) and do not refund any unused points and share a processing fee for the change. That way the customer does not lose 100% of the money they spent on this trip and everyone should be happy.

Of course, if David does not want to do that.....then rent points from private owners (not brokers) that are willing to provide extra customer service. I have rented DVC points dozens of times over the past 15 years and I would estimate less only 5% of the time someone wants to make a change and I gladly do it for them and pass on the extra cost if it is more points and do not refund points in the event the change uses less points as those points would generally go to waste anyways.
Currently there is a shortage of owners looking to rent out their points. Renters? Not so much. If a service like David’s started asking me to do what you’re describing I’d rent my points out with another service.

I’ve rented out 4x with David’s in the past 18 months (over 400 pts)to cover the cost of our trip to Europe next month.

I use them because I don’t like hassle and I don’t like risk and I’m willing to give up potential rental money to guarantee that. If the market were different, then maybe he/owners would have to be more flexible.

Currently there is a shortage of owners looking to rent out their points. Renters? Not so much. If a service like David’s started asking me to do what you’re describing I’d rent my points out with another service.

I’ve rented out 4x with David’s in the past 18 months (over 400 pts)to cover the cost of our trip to Europe next month.

I use them because I don’t like hassle and I don’t like risk and I’m willing to give up potential rental money to guarantee that. If the market were different, then maybe he/owners would have to be more flexible.

Look...every can agree that sometimes travel plans need to change and that it is not anyone's fault.

I am NOT saying that David should offer this as a standard service that negatively affects the revenue the owners expect using his service. I am saying all it takes is a phone call to the owner to say, "hey, we rented your points for $3,000 and guess what, they can't make the trip and we are offering a new service" then the points could be put back into their account and re-rented again (as per DVC rules and availability). Perhaps it would be two or three extra phone calls. Perhaps they charge $2pp for this service, who knows.

What happens is that everyone wins. The renter gets some money back (perhaps 80% or so) and the owner keeps the original money, Davis get another fee, the points are not wasted. Have a magical day indeed.

If no changes are allowed ever, then those people renting points are 100% losing their money and that makes people angry and tend to vent online and the one that will look bad is David as he will be perceived as inflexible (but at least he is holing up the policy and contract of no changes).

Perhaps there is an unwritten policy as I am sure this has happened MANY times to David before as he makes thousands of rentals, but he probably does not want to advertise this option. Perhaps that is where these last minute deals or current reservation rentals come from.

IMO there are 2 sides here. IMO one of the issues I have with DVC and Disney in general is they are inconsistent. I'd prefer consistency to flexibility that way I can predict. To a degree it comes down to integrity. IF you say no changes then you allow them part of the time it's an integrity issue to a degree. They could build in options with costs and this is what they should do if they want to provide this type of service.

If I were renting through Davids and they asked, I would consider it, especially if the renter already had someone lined up to take over the reservation.

And if David asked me to breach his own contract, I'd never do business with him again and rent my points with a broker who stuck to their contract - there are other broker services and - as was mentioned - currently FAR more renters than owners with points. Those are not the terms - and we should not set expectations here with David's renters that the contract terms are just - in the words of Captain Barbossa -"guidelines." David or his staff ask me, my answer is no, and I find another broker for my very valuable BWV points next time I'm looking to rent.

The reason I used David to rent my points was because it was a more or less "one and done" deal and the renters problems are not my problems.

Sometimes travel plans change - which is why travel insurance is offered.

(And part of the reason I wouldn't do this is because I don't want to participate unwillingly in a sublet for profit scheme. Rent points for BWV for October, look for someone who wants that reservation at a 20% markup, have David work with the owner to change all of the names, claiming that unforeseen circumstances have made you have to change your travel plans. Not with my points.)

Look...every can agree that sometimes travel plans need to change and that it is not anyone's fault.

I am NOT saying that David should offer this as a standard service that negatively affects the revenue the owners expect using his service. I am saying all it takes is a phone call to the owner to say, "hey, we rented your points for $3,000 and guess what, they can't make the trip and we are offering a new service" then the points could be put back into their account and re-rented again (as per DVC rules and availability). Perhaps it would be two or three extra phone calls. Perhaps they charge $2pp for this service, who knows.

What happens is that everyone wins. The renter gets some money back (perhaps 80% or so) and the owner keeps the original money, Davis get another fee, the points are not wasted. Have a magical day indeed.

If no changes are allowed ever, then those people renting points are 100% losing their money and that makes people angry and tend to vent online and the one that will look bad is David as he will be perceived as inflexible (but at least he is holing up the policy and contract of no changes).

Perhaps there is an unwritten policy as I am sure this has happened MANY times to David before as he makes thousands of rentals, but he probably does not want to advertise this option. Perhaps that is where these last minute deals or current reservation rentals come from.
The terms of the rental are spelled out clearly in the rental contract. No changes. No refunds. All of the rental agencies caution renters to obtain trip insurance. At least one of them offers their own "cancel for any reason" insurance plan to the renters. If renters choose not to purchase insurance is that really the owner's problem? Or the rental agency's?

I have empathy for the OP but it was his choice to not insure a non-refundable trip. To use another famous movie quote "He chose...poorly."

And if David asked me to breach his own contract, I'd never do business with him again and rent my points with a broker who stuck to their contract - there are other broker services and - as was mentioned - currently FAR more renters than owners with points. Those are not the terms - and we should not set expectations here with David's renters that the contract terms are just - in the words of Captain Barbossa -"guidelines." David or his staff ask me, my answer is no, and I find another broker for my very valuable BWV points next time I'm looking to rent.

The reason I used David to rent my points was because it was a more or less "one and done" deal and the renters problems are not my problems.

Sometimes travel plans change - which is why travel insurance is offered.

(And part of the reason I wouldn't do this is because I don't want to participate unwillingly in a sublet for profit scheme. Rent points for BWV for October, look for someone who wants that reservation at a 20% markup, have David work with the owner to change all of the names, claiming that unforeseen circumstances have made you have to change your travel plans. Not with my points.)

Man, you guys are so cold......does the insurance cover things like pregnancy, sickness, change of plans, divorce, weather.

Again, I am NOT suggesting to open up pandora box, but when people spend several thousand of dollars on a trip 7-11 months in advance, plans can change and there should be some ability to HELP out other than "sorry, you should have known better"

The terms of the rental are spelled out clearly in the rental contract. No changes. No refunds. All of the rental agencies caution renters to obtain trip insurance. At least one of them offers their own "cancel for any reason" insurance plan to the renters. If renters choose not to purchase insurance is that really the owner's problem? Or the rental agency's?

I have empathy for the OP but it was his choice to not insure a non-refundable trip. To use another famous movie quote "He chose...poorly."

Wow...pretty cold. Would you feel the same if your family member "chose" a bad doctor or got food poisoning by making a bad choice eating from a food truck, or had their cell phoen stolen because they made a bad choice to hide it in a beach bag and go for a swim.

I really don't have a dog in this fight as I don't use a broker, but I am simply seeking a happy medium without being so polarized to not accommodate and charge for a change. In reality a change would happen probably less than 5% of all rentals.

And when I spend tens of thousands of dollars on a DVC contract, and need to rent my points, I expect the terms of the contract to be carried out. Want generous cancellation policies, book a CRO room. You'll pay more, but you'll be able to cancel to almost check in for any reason whatsoever.

I may be cold, but I'm not the one setting an expectation with a stranger that the contract terms that you are not a party to can easily be broken if you ask nice because everyone is nice. Nice has nothing to do with it. Its a contract, its business. You may wish to be walked all over by every hard luck story, but don't volunteer the rest of the board.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter