DVC Renter Questions

Robbie Cottam

DIS Veteran
DVC Gold
I am a DVC owner and I get some really strange request when renting points.
This got me to start thinking:

How many of you do your research before try to rent points.

Do you understand the priority windows of when an owner can book only the home resort, and when they can book all resort?

Do you understand why you really should or need to book 7 to 11 months in advance?

Do you understand that DVC is not the POP Century?

Do you understand use years and why you can’t just move a reservation

i have recently received these and many more question like these.

So for all of you thinking for renting DVC points. If you have questions I would be happy to try and explain the process, the value and the restriction as best i can.

Last edited:
I think the vast majority of first time renters do not understand DVC and I am not sure they ever will until they get into it and have those questions answered.

That is why a detailed contract is so important.

I totally agree a detailed contract is extremely important, however,

my talking about just completely uneducated questions. Recently, i received a question about use dvc points at the all star resorts and pop century.

I‘m happy to field any dvc questions, rental, ownership, etc…
just trying to help people understand how the process works so Im not getting repeated request for points rentals when i have my post listed for vacations starting june 1 2022…

so any dvc rental question…… hit me up

i have time, experience and im willing to share both

My guess is that if somebody is asking you whether they can use DVC points at Pop Century, they are not someone who reads the DVC forums here.

Thank you for offering to answer questions! I am new to the process and would love for you to explain use years (I understand it is a time window they must be used in, but how does it run? That Calendar year, or something else?)

what is the advantage to trying to book more than 7 months out when the points are largely only available for all resorts at 7 months?
What is the best way to seek points prior to their being unencumbered at 7 months?

any other questions you've encountered that you want to share are appreciated. ( I do know that DVC is for deluxe, lol)

The points all have home resort priority from 11 months when the window opens until the 7 month window opens…

so if you want a hard to find room or resort you would want to book early, in the 7 to 11 month window…. As close to the window opening at some resorts.

now that is prior to the first day of travel. So 11 month prior to the first day of travel you should get what you want.

the other dates you want to be aware of is use year. If the owners points are for a june 2022 use year. They can not be used before that date or after may 2023….. so if you want to travel may 30 2022 until june 8 202 and june use year might not work for you unless the owner wanted to borrow points…

as a renter i will not borrow points, some may

so if you want to stay at any of the preferred resorts you want to find an owner with points at that resort and book 11 months in advance….

it has been my experience that you can book when the 7 month window opens, but it takes flexibility…. I own at SSR BLT and RR… i have stayed at most of the resorts that have two bedroom villia… it took spilt trips or wait listing but it can be done.

hope that helps

Well if the renter doesnt understand it, they better not get upset when they dont get what they want!

it is every consumers job to know what they are buying before they buy is it not?
I don’t think understanding the inner workings is the job of any consumer.
The company I work for employs me for my expertise. They don’t expect the customer to have that knowledge.

Clearly, you just want to argue, and that's ok.
Send me a DM and we can argue this until Disney reverses direction on the Genie thing.
But Clearly they're people on this board that want or need help, or have never done this before, or maybe want their hand held. I'm offering them my time.
My post is to try and help those that want to ask questions.

Thanks for your input.

I totally agree a detailed contract is extremely important, however,

my talking about just completely uneducated questions. Recently, i received a question about use dvc points at the all star resorts and pop century.

I‘m happy to field any dvc questions, rental, ownership, etc…
just trying to help people understand how the process works so Im not getting repeated request for points rentals when i have my post listed for vacations starting june 1 2022…

so any dvc rental question…… hit me up

i have time, experience and im willing to share both

Are you talking about an owner renting on their own or through a rental company?

Either way
the contract protects all parties.
The contract is the owners way of documenting the the renter was told about all the terms
The contract protects the renter by prevent the owner from canceling the reservation, not paying the dues etc.

If you are using the rental companies it protects them too....

I've rented and did research before contacting anyone but I'll confess I still find use years confusing from the outside looking in.

"so if you want to stay at any of the preferred resorts you want to find an owner with points at that resort and book 11 months in advance…."

are there ways to do this other than using a rental company or scouting out the DVC rental posts on here?

I've only ever rented though a reputable online vendor. They tell me what's available and at what price. I read their policy, pay via the method they accept and it's done. Simple.

there used to be another site that was my goto site, they shut down there RTB
you can use the rental stores
i have also seen a few facebook groups.

you can also call disney and pay rack rate for a cash room…
cash rooms are rooms disney owns and rents like hotel rooms, there are not part of the dvc member innovatory.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter