DXDP first time at WDW

disland7

Mouseketeer
DVC Gold
We are considering getting a DXDP (and traveling with another family who would eat with us). So far I have 1900 Park Fare dinner, Storybook at artist point (albeit not great times so I'm trying to get a better one), Cinderella's Royal table lunch, and Akershur breakfast.

We go to Disneyland frequently but this is our first time at WDW so we are trying to do things that we can't do in DL. We have 4 adults and 5 kids (DS11, DS9, DS7, DD5, DD3). Any other recs or thoughts?

California Grill (we took our 4 and 7 year olds a while ago).

Question: Is everyone on the plan? It's a ton of food plus taking a lot of time out of park time.

You have several one table service credit dinners. Most people who buy dxddp do signature (2 credit) dinners and either lunch or breakfast to use up 3 table service credits per day. Having 3 table service meals a day consumed a tremendous amount of park time.

How many nights are you staying? Is everyone going to be using the DxDDP or are you trying to share one room's DxDDP for all of you?

Just in case you weren't aware, the 11 year old is considered an adult.

We are staying 3 nights and we are trying to share one rooms for all of us. We are planning on 4-5 meals over those 4 days. I just found the spirit of aloha too and am considering that.

Last edited:
We are staying 3 nights and we are trying to share one rooms for all of us. We are planning on 4-5 meals over those 4 days. I just found the spirit of aloha too and am considering that.

Okay, just a little more information. Everyone in the room must be on the plan, so how many people are you putting in the room that is purchasing the plan and what are their ages?

Like pp trying to figure out if the 9 of you are planning to share one room and one deluxe plan or if you mean one room has the plan amongst 2 rooms. Who will be listed on the plan would also be useful information.

We have 9 people on the plan 4 adults and 5 kids. And we are sharing with other family (2 more adults and 4 kids). 3 nights.

We have 9 people on the plan 4 adults and 5 kids. And we are sharing with other family (2 more adults and 4 kids). 3 nights.

So if you do the DxDDP, you have 81 credits to share among 16 people, so you each have 5 credits to use. If you stick with your original plan, you have enough credits. If you add Spirit of Aloha, you don't have enough and you'll need to pay OOP somewhere.

I’m doing it for the first time this September as we are going for our anniversary and it is a lot of food. I had to break it down to character meals for breakfast, snack our way through lunch, and signatures mostly every night.

9/9- Lunch: Morimoto Asia Dinner: Jiko
9/10 Breakfast: Tusker Dinner: Yachtsman
9/11 Breakfast: H&V Dinner: Mama Melrose
9:12 Breakfast: Ohana Lunch: Homecomin Dinner: Cali Grill
9/13 Breakfast: Garden Grill Lunch: Via Napoli Dinner: Le Cellier
9/14 Breakfast: Crys Palace Dinner: Ohana
9/15 Breakfast Tusker Dinner: BOG

All PPO Breakfast and late dinners to maximize park time but this is more of a relaxing trip for us. As said previously, sitting down for 3 meals a day will cost you 4-5 hours. That’s something we are ok with without the kids but not sure if that factored into your plans. It’s also a ton of food. App, Entree, Dessert, and drinks. My wife doesn’t drink so two for me and paying for a soda OOP. Weigh your options and see if you would actually eat all the food you are getting and if not probably cheaper just to pay OOP. They make it sound nice with all the food involved but most people would not order that much. I will say I can eat a boatload and hang with the best of them but looking at this amount is a monumental task. Also, remember that tips are still involved and ordering all that food will produce a massive bill. I’m looking at $300+ in tips for my trip just for 2 of us. But I also like knowing my foods taken care of already and that I don’t have to stress over it. To each his own but just figure out if worth it. You may order all that food but if half of it sits at the end of the meal was it truly a value?

Either way just have fun and eat well because that’s what it’s all about :)

We are considering getting a DXDP (and traveling with another family who would eat with us). So far I have 1900 Park Fare dinner, Storybook at artist point (albeit not great times so I'm trying to get a better one), Cinderella's Royal table lunch, and Akershur breakfast.

We go to Disneyland frequently but this is our first time at WDW so we are trying to do things that we can't do in DL. We have 4 adults and 5 kids (DS11, DS9, DS7, DD5, DD3). Any other recs or thoughts?
Don’t get the deluxe dining plan. For a first time trip you’ll spend too much time traveling to restaurants and eating

Don’t get the deluxe dining plan. For a first time trip you’ll spend too much time traveling to restaurants and eating
Even if we do 1 a day? 1900 park fare at our hotel tues, hopefully storybook on wed, Akershus on thurs, Cinderella royal table on Friday. I have been nervous about that but my brother in law said it wouldn’t be too crazy.

Last edited:
Even if we do 1 a day? 1900 park fare at our hotel tues, hopefully storybook on wed, Akershus on thurs, Cinderella royal table on Friday. I have been nervous about that but my brother in law said it wouldn’t be too crazy.

You're only doing 1 TS per day; you'll be fine. Don't let the others scare you and listen to your BIL.

I agree with your BIL. Since you are DL regulars, it won’t feel like it’s truly your first time at Disney. One of the big differences I’ve found between DL and WDW is the food. I think your plan sounds great, especially if the kids are used to eating out.

Some may say that doing the DxDP is jus too much food and takes way too much time. I respect their opinions but I don't feel the same way. I always get the DxDP and don't feel this is the case. Sure, if you were doing three TS per day that would take up a lot of time. But we do a character breakfast , use our snack credits during the day, and then do a signature restaurant for dinner. If we don't do breakfast then we end up doing an early lunch and then a late signature dinner.

You also don't have to travel all over WDW for a dinner or any meal for that matter. When we are short on time we plan restaurants close to or in the park. Examples... When in MK something like Crystal Palace for breakfast or for lunch at LTT instead and then dinner at California Grill or Narcoossee's. If at Epcot a breakfast at Cape May or lunch at your choice in the World Showcase and then dinner at Le Cellier (not my choice) or even at the Boardwalk. At AK a breakfast at Tusker House and then dinner at Tiffins. I could go on and on, but it is not that hard to do the DxDP and not run all over WDW to do it or eat an insane amount of food.

**Edited because of my error of calling a character breakfast a dinner.** I do apologize to any here on the DIS that may have been offended or upset by doing such a hideous crime. LOL

Last edited:
Some may say that doing the DxDP is jus too much food and takes way too much time. I respect their opinions but I don't feel the same way. I always get the DxDP and don't feel this is the case. Sure, if you were doing three TS per day that would take up a lot of time. But we do a character breakfast for dinner, use our snack credits during the day, and then do a signature restaurant for dinner. If we don't do breakfast then we end up doing an early lunch and then a late signature dinner.

You also don't have to travel all over WDW for a dinner or any meal for that matter. When we are short on time we plan restaurants close to or in the park. Examples... When in MK something like Crystal Palace for breakfast or for lunch at LTT instead and then dinner at California Grill or Narcoossee's. If at Epcot a breakfast at Cape May or lunch at your choice in the World Showcase and then dinner at Le Cellier (not my choice) or even at the Boardwalk. At AK a breakfast at Tusker House and then dinner at Tiffins. I could go on and on, but it is not that hard to do the DxDP and not run all over WDW to do it or eat an insane amount of food.

What does it mean to "do a character breakfast for dinner?"

No way I would ever want to eat a signature dinner on the same day as doing a Tusker House breakfast or a LTT lunch. One huge meal in a day is plenty. No need for 2+ huge meals in a day.

No way I would ever want to eat a signature dinner on the same day as doing a Tusker House breakfast or a LTT lunch. One huge meal in a day is plenty. No need for 2+ huge meals in a day.

You only eat one meal a day? We do the Deluxe Plan and usually eat a breakfast buffet in the morning and then do the parks hard all day. I would be passed out if we didn’t eat another meal. We usually grab some popcorn or pretzel midday and then are more than ready for a signature dinner by about 630 or 7.

What does it mean to "do a character breakfast for dinner?"

Ah, the grammatical police... I was caught in a typo error with a character breakfast for dinner. Please do forgive me for not being without sin and failing to catch the error before posting. I will do my best to achieve perfection in future posts. However, I'm sure I will make a mistake again on here sometime in the future. Perhaps even on this post. But again, I do appreciate you challenging me to be a better person.

Ahh, but I don't have the need to eat 6 plates of food stacked 2 feet high at a buffet until I am in a state of unconsciousness (not saying you do). I leave full, but not overindulged. I also don't eat things like fries, hotdogs, burgers, chicken nuggets, deep-fried foods or pizza, so because of this I don't feel as bloated either. (no attack on those who enjoy these foods) As for signature dining, I don't equate that to any larger than any other meal, for me it's the atmosphere and the quality of the food I find at places like Jiko, California Grill, Flying Fish, along with other signatures rather than 50's Prime Time Cafe, Tony's, The Wave and other 1TS restaurants. Not sure I understand the "no need for 2+ huge meals". I am active, I exercise, I am in shape. When not in WDW, I eat three meals a day. But when I am on vacation I do indulge a bit and enjoy an appetizer and a dessert. Perhaps you have a different dietary need and that is ok. Perhaps you can eat one meal a day (if that's what you do). But for me, if I eat at 7:30 in the morning I am going to be hungry come 7:30 in the evening.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter