Electric Scooter Rental

Silverfriend

Earning My Ears
We will be at the World for 3 weeks starting the end of November. We are taking my 85 year old Dad with us. He is in pretty good health and is not disabled, but all of the walking is hard for him because his knees are weakening.

Considering renting an electric scooter from an outside company by the week...not to access rides...we'll park it with the strollers outside. It will make the trip much easier on him.

Has anyone ever rented from any company? I have checked into a couple of them. They will all deliver free to OKW. Just wondering if the equipment will be in good shape or not.

Thanks for your help!!

Hello! I rented a scooter from Walker Medical last year for my trip with my Granny who was 78 at the time. She didn't want it at first but it made all the difference in the world and she loved it in the end! She had never been to Disney and had no idea of the walking involved. Granny should have had a knee replacement done years ago but keeps putting it off so she never would have made it otherwise. Our first night she insisted on leaving it at the hotel (stubborn woman!) and we never did that again the rest of the trip. She also really liked being able to go to through the handicapped line on a lot of the rides (it was just the two of us and I have to admit I enjoyed that too). The scooter was at the All Star when we got there and we left it with them when we checked out. We had no problems with Disney transportation either except I had to get the scooter off and on for her. She had a hard time manuvering it into the right spot on the bus so I would hop on it when the bus pulled up and take care of it for her. I would rent from them again without hesitation. I think the price was the same or close to renting daily from Disney but there were advantages to the outside firm. The scooter was nicer than the ones at the park (looked newer, comfy seat and went faster). Also, you can't take their scooters out of the park you rent in. If you decide to hop to another park you can show your receipt to get another one but only if they have any left at that point. By renting at an outside company you are guaranteed to have yours for your whole trip. Some of the hotels have a pretty far walk to get places too so it came in handy there as well. If you are going outside of Disney in a car, they come apart very easy too!

I hope you and your family have a great trip!

I have used Walker Medical twice and am scheduled to use them again in Nov. I have been very happy with them. I had a problem with one ECV ( the rear wheel sounded funny) and they replaced it in less than an hour. The ECVs were in great shape. I rented one time from Care Medical and the ECV was not in good shape, the upolstery was ripped and dirty. They were blase when I called about it. So I switched to Walker's and have been very happy.
www.walkermobility.com

Thanks for your replies!! Just a couple of further questions....

Has anyone ever used Randy's Mobility? Also, has anyone ever rented an electric scooter with the intent to take it apart and keep it in the back of the car and set it up each day? Just wondering how easy they really are to haul around and put together and take apart.

Thanks!!!

Welcome.
Here are links to all the companies that DISers have reported positive experiences renting from:
CARE Medical Equipment - 1-800-741-2282
www.caremedicalequipment.com

RANDY'S Mobility in Kissimmee 407-892-4777
http://www.randysmobility.com/

Walker Medical - 1-800-334-9501
www.walkermobility.com

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html

We have never rented an ecv, since our DD has her own wheelchair, but I have read all the posts on this board. Each company has had a few negatives posted and a large number of positives, so I don't feel that any company should be avoided. Pick the one that sounds the best to you and you are likely to have a positive experience. You can try doing a search on some of the company names if you want more info. Toward the top of the screen, you will find "search" click on it and type the name of the company into the word search field.

Look at this recent thread which has links to the rental companies and some tips for you.

Also, be sure to click on the link in my signature below, and look at the sections on wheelchair use, pacing, and traveling with elderly.

I also rented from Walker Mobility before I got my own scooter. They are a great company to work with and I recommend them highly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter