Elephant in the room....

It should only take about 24 members to complaining to get DVD to make a change. Remember that was how many it took to get them to make a change to the 2020 point charts. Lol.
There are at least a couple of reasons that it only took 24 members complaining to get it changed:
  1. What Disney tried to do was at bare minimum against the spirit of the contracts, but most likely against the letter of the contract and thus very likely that the courts would have ruled against Disney, which would have set a legal precedent going forward.
  2. Legal action was started against Disney.
  3. The pre-revised 2020 point charts were truly not in the best interest of the members and Disney knew it, again the contract states that if they reassign points, it must be in the best interest of the majority of members.
I don't believe these apply to walking, so I wouldn't think that a very small number of members complaining about it would accomplish much.

There are at least a couple of reasons that it only took 24 members complaining to get it changed:
  1. What Disney tried to do was at bare minimum against the spirit of the contracts, but most likely against the letter of the contract and thus very likely that the courts would have ruled against Disney, which would have set a legal precedent going forward.
  2. Legal action was started against Disney.
  3. The pre-revised 2020 point charts were truly not in the best interest of the members and Disney knew it, again the contract states that if they reassign points, it must be in the best interest of the majority of members.
I don't believe these apply to walking, so I wouldn't think that a very small number of members complaining about it would accomplish much.
I was being sarcastic about DVD stating they only received 24 complaints about the 2020 point charts

It is funny, when we bought in originally, in 1995 at OKW, the minimum was 150 points, and yes, that is what we bought. Added 50 more later. With 4 kids, our goal was to rent the 2BR units, every other year 7 nights or every year, 5 nights (Sun-Thur nights). Never wanted anything smaller.

It is only now that we sometimes book studios. So in addition to the NEW members wanting studios, factor in many of us OLD TIME members who have aged out of the larger rooms, and are now looking to downsize. Our home resort is now WL BR, which I LOVE, and I am fine booking there over and over. But I do explore other options at 7 months, as I like trying other options.

I think they need to bend to the obvious wishes of the members, and build more studios, and for GOSH sakes, build 1BRs that sleep 6, with 2 full bathrooms. I have no issue with the small point contract new members booking only studios. I only get frustrated at their anger at the difficulty in booking them. Perhaps when the older resorts contracts end, like WLV BR, BWV, BCV, they will renovate to reflect these interests. Who knows.

The needs of the few...? Sure, that would be swell, but don’t see DVC extending themselves when they can easily fill the rooms without extra expense.

It’s not just the small contract owners getting annoyed. The demographics of many who bought in early on likely have changed. Quite possibly visiting more often as retirees where studios fit the bill. Unfortunately, there are only so many to go ‘round.

One of the featured reasons trotted out to potential members has always been the ability to book whatever type of accommodation was available within their home resort period. We never spend much time ‘in’ the room, tend to focus on the parks and the resort amenities; so the studios always worked well from us from day one.

We added on at two other resorts in order be able to get the 11 month booking window for specific times of the year. Found ourselves enjoying AKJ so much, we added on a 2nd time. If we are relagated to booking standard vs value studio, will wind up likely shaving a trip off our normal 3 there each year. Will roll with it, not about to add on at this stage of the game.

I was being sarcastic about DVD stating they only received 24 complaints about the 2020 point charts

Why was there legal action?! What were the bad changes?! Was it decreasing points for 2-bedrooms, whilst increasing them for the 1-bedrooms?!

Can you please quote all of the snob posts? I'm honestly not seeing it.

However, it is a fact that more points owned offers more options for walking, changing resorts or booking a different type of accommodation. And booking studios at is getting more and more difficult.

Exactly! We only have 100 points & is difficult to walk without using points from other Use years!
Worse yet, we have a December Use Year which makes walking impossible if we want Dec. 1st thru the 14th,
as we would have to walk and the dropped nights prior to Dec. 1st would drop into the Use year ending on November 30th, and would have to stay there!!!
It really is a bad deal for us!

I don't believe that Disney closed the FP loophole because it was unfair. I believe that it was closed for monetary reasons. They sell extra FPs and a 90-day booking window to CL guests for a minimum of 3 days @$50/day. It's a trial offer that seems to be rather well-received. They could very well be preparing to do something similar for all guests. They can't have people booking fake reservations in order to get an added FP advantage if they intend to charge people for that advantage. It's all about the Benjamins and not really about fairness.

OTOH, there's nothing to be gained by pissing off a lot of members because a few members walk reservations. Taking a cash room out of inventory means there's one less room for CRO to sell and the guest may decide to stay offsite. Taking a DVC villa out of inventory for a few nights just means that it gets filled by some other DVC owner later. If it's being walked, it's a high-demand villa. Someone is going to take it. No money is lost when a walker makes a reservation and then moves it forward. And if there's no money being lost, DVC is not likely to make changes. And they are even less likely to make changes when it benefits a few while hurting many.

I'm not a fan of walking. But I also realize that the cure can be worse than the curse. At least with the way things are now, I know enough to follow along behind the walkers and pick up their crumbs if I want a BWV Standard View studio in December. With some of the other proposed solutions, I won't be able to book 10 consecutive nights in any villa, or shift my reservation by one or two nights if decent airfare comes up for those dates, or I would have to call and sit on hold with MS while I try to deal with clients at work. Show me a solution that doesn't penalize members who have done nothing wrong and I'll be happy to support it. However, I'm not in favor of drastic changes to the way reservations are made because a vocal few have their hackles up over the actions of a small number of people.

Exactly! With walking, the walked days are only held for a few days, and are usually picked up right away!
Whenever you have a 7-day reservation, you may book an 8th day etc.
We had 17 nights in a value studio for 2017,(November thru like Dec. 6th).
Every time we booked an additional night, we tied -up our value studio!
Should adding nights beyond 7 also be penalized like walking?!
After all, you are keeping that very same value studio well into December!

Let’s say someone starts exactly 1 month early walking on their BLT home 11 month window. So they are in actuality 12 months from their booked room. Couldn’t an owner at say SSR just start walking at 12 + months and leap over the BLT owner discussed? So buying the cheapest resorts to only stay in the most expensive resorts through walking. Is this possible? I mean if it is walking once a day with the online tool for ANY amount of days/months would be a breeze. What 5 minutes a day....to save thousands on initial buy in. Asking for a friend. Lol

Let’s say someone starts exactly 1 month early walking on their BLT home 11 month window. So they are in actuality 12 months from their booked room. Couldn’t an owner at say SSR just start walking at 12 + months and leap over the BLT owner discussed? So buying the cheapest resorts to only stay in the most expensive resorts through walking. Is this possible? I mean if it is walking once a day with the online tool for ANY amount of days/months would be a breeze. What 5 minutes a day....to save thousands on initial buy in. Asking for a friend. Lol
No possible way your scenario could happen. An SSR owner could not start walking anywhere except SSR at 12 months. SSR owners can not book at any resort except SSR until 7 months months prior to check-in

no because of the home resort priority period

So could someone walk from 7 right up to the 11 month window? Still a heck of an advantage. You know I think I,m warming up to walking.
Are you saying could someone walk a 7 month window (non home resort) to a 11 month window (home resort)? If that is what you mean no that can’t happen they will always be 7 months out from the date they can pick while those at the home resort can boom that date 11 months out. So they always have 4 months to get extra time to pick any given Use night.

So does walking, by non home resort owners limit the home resort advantage, in short no.

I’m beginning to wonder if you are more interested in stopping walking or trying to find a loophole to the home resort priority period...

Go for it, if you feel you need to walk to get your desired reservation. You've always been free to do so. Remember though, by starting "months" in advance it will be quite time consuming, certainly much more time and energy than I'd put into getting a reservation...time is money in my business of purchasing, refurbishing and renting houses and duplexes.
Yeah 2 minutes a week is gonna be time,consuming.........not

Are you saying could someone walk a 7 month window (non home resort) to a 11 month window (home resort)? If that is what you mean no that can’t happen they will always be 7 months out from the date they can pick while those at the home resort can boom that date 11 months out. So they always have 4 months to get extra time to pick any given Use night.

So does walking, by non home resort owners limit the home resort advantage, in short no.

I’m beginning to wonder if you are more interested in stopping walking or trying to find a loophole to the home resort priority period...

Right. I now understand the home resort timeframe is safe( duh on my part). For non resort 7 month window I could walk up to 4 months before the 7 month so as not to overlap the home 11 month window. Hope that’s right. The 11 month window is like a firewall stopping those walking the 7 month window from going any further than a day before the 11 month window.....no I,m not looking for a loophole. I,m not that good of an actor......or am I

Last edited:
I’m convinced you have no idea what you’re talking about. It explains why you think walking cheaters are ruining your DVC life.

I deserve that for thinking the home resort window could maybe be breached by non owners. Was just thinking of all bad and good scenarios for walking. Brain hiccup for sure. And I don’t think walkers are ruining my DVC life. Just like discussing both sides to every argument. Thought that was a good way to have open objective conversation. No? I don’t like shutting my ears to half the world because they have a different view than me. I can take a little heat to wash everything out and get to the truth of a subject.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter