Elephant in the room....

Odd, they couldn't do that for me the last time I crossed use years. They had done it that way for prior trips. And I did have to stop by the front desk and check-in twice.

That is strange. Was it recently? My last go-round was sept/oct ‘18. Hope you didn’t have to change rooms. Only when using points from 2 different contracts have we had to re-check in, thankfully staying tight in existing room.

That is strange. Was it recently? My last go-round was sept/oct ‘18. Hope you didn’t have to change rooms. Only when using points from 2 different contracts have we had to re-check in, thankfully staying tight in existing room.

No, same room type/location. I did not have to change rooms, but I had to check-in again. This was last May/June at OKW. ANd all my points, though spread over an original contract and 3 direct add-ons, are for OKW, under one Member number. Maybe I just got an undertrained cast member on the phone. o_O

Typically an owner isn't going to wait until the last minute at 7 months to book their home resort. Yes you can be blocked and it's not a sure thing like 11 months but it would still increase the odds at 7 months.

:wave2: I have been a last minute home resort booker - more than once. :tiptoe:

I almost hate to bump this thread, but for those frustrated with walkers you have a fairly rare chance in the morning. Tomorrow at 8am, 1/29, 1/30, 1/31, and 2/1 open up. A "walk" would need to be five days long to jump the February gap. Unless members had the points to cover 5 days, some coveted villas may open up. It will be a short window, but it will be there.

I almost hate to bump this thread, but for those frustrated with walkers you have a fairly rare chance in the morning. Tomorrow at 8am, 1/29, 1/30, 1/31, and 2/1 open up. A "walk" would need to be five days long to jump the February gap. Unless members had the points to cover 5 days, some coveted villas may open up. It will be a short window, but it will be there.
Thank you for pointing this out. It really should give a lot of people a chance, because there are 4 days available instead of one, which means, perhaps, 1/4th as much competition for any particular day. (Probably more competition on the first day, but less on days 2, 3 and 4).

I've owned DVC since 2009 and have never walked a reservation. I've also never had an issue booking at my home resort in the room I wanted so I guess I never really needed to consider doing this. When booking at the 7 month window I've been blessed with getting what I wanted at another DVC resort. It's been a few years since I've been active on the boards here, but as I'm catching up on my reading :surfweb: it appears that walking has become quite the thing and is causing a lot of disruption. It looks like some people will "walk" the reservation for a good month or so. Not sure what the standard "walk" length of time people do is though. I'm wondering what kind of rules Disney could implement to stop this? Let someone "walk a day" once a week instead of daily?

lad you figured it out. Good luck in the morning to grab the days you need. Walking at 7 months is high risk especially if you are doing it without an 11 month backup. Since anyone with home resort priority can stop you easily.

HELP, I dont understand how walkers at 7months can get bumped by home resort reservations...??

They don't get bumped as in losing a reservation that they already have, they get blocked. Someone trying to walk a reservation at 7 months can get blocked from moving their reservation forward by owners booking further out than a non-owner can get to.

HELP, I dont understand how walkers at 7months can get bumped by home resort reservations...??
When you reserve a villa at exactly the 11-month window, no one else can book that villa starting any of the days you have booked when the 11-month window happens for them.

For example:
D1 D2 D3 D4 D5 D6 D7
X...X...X...X

You book D1 - D4 exactly when the 11 month window opens for D1. No one can take that room away from you when the 11 month window opens for D2, D3 or D4.

Let's say that you want to "walk" that reservation. When the 11 month window opens for D4, you can adjust your reservation like this:

D1 D2 D3 D4 D5 D6 D7
...............X...X...X...X

You already have D4 booked so no one else can grab D5 - D7 from you because they cannot book those days yet.

Now lets look at the 7-month window at a resort you do not own.

For example:
D1 D2 D3 D4 D5 D6 D7
X...X...X...X

As in the 11-month window, no non-owner can take that room away from you because they cannot book days D2-D4 when the window opens up. However, An OWNER can book any day they wish at your 7-month window. So, you can possibly get this instead after booking D1-D4:

D1 D2 D3 D4 D5 D6 D7
X...X...X...X...Y...Y...Y

So, when you go to "walk" your reservation at D4, you are blocked from moving it by an owner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter