Elephant in the room....

I own at BLT and was getting std studios 3-5 years ago at 11 month window first two weeks in December. I have bought more points and am now a 1 bedroom person but still look at all availability. There has been a change that I have personally noticed.

There are always those "winners" of the rooms just as there are people who book the Concierge studios and value rooms.

I'll disagree as my observations are that BLT standard studios and 2BR's have always gone very quickly for the beginning of December since it opened. The first years of course were either observed thru my attempts to book or reports from others calling in so it's a little more transparent now.

I'll continue to reiterate - I think the tightening up of availability is due to many issues and the least of that is walking IMO. I know I book earlier than I used to although the first week of December has always been an 11 month booking because it has long been the busiest DVC week.

Last edited:
I would agree with that because the data supports it. Of course then demand just shifts elsewhere and walking begins at those times. School vacation weeks, holidays you name it. Once enough people are walking more and more people will call MS to complain about not getting there room at 11 months. The MS calls saved by being able to change reservations online will be replaced with angry 11 month booking calls. When that amount of calls reach critical mass DVC will probably do something about walking.
It should only take about 24 members to complaining to get DVD to make a change. Remember that was how many it took to get them to make a change to the 2020 point charts. Lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember the lottery. Never used it, as we didn't have to travel during the peak time frames, but I do remember it.

Anyone remember the herb garden at OKW, located where Olivia's outside dining patio is today? The chefs literally had garden fresh herbs and seasonings to cook with.

Yes!

So people who have less than 100 points should be considered lower than 3rd class?? I have two people we don't need a ton of space so why buy more then needed ...because it takes away a few days every other year for some to get a room? The snobbery is astounding on these boards!

Can you please quote all of the snob posts? I'm honestly not seeing it.

However, it is a fact that more points owned offers more options for walking, changing resorts or booking a different type of accommodation. And booking studios at is getting more and more difficult.

Last edited:
On this post the original comes off as snobby and other things I've read over the last few months about small point contracts.I don't understand the need to complain about those those with fewer points or infer they should be treated differently.

Last edited:
So people who have less than 100 points should be considered lower than 3rd class?? I have two people we don't need a ton of space so why buy more then needed ...because it takes away a few days every other year for some to get a room? The snobbery is astounding on these boards!

I completely disagree with any idea that small point owners are in any way less than high point owners, and I don't think that the majority of the people on this board feel like they are less than. I do think that low point owners need to go in with their eyes wide open though, especially at resorts where there are lots of points tied up in extremely high point accommodations (Poly bungalows and CCV cabins) and resorts with high per point costs. There is going to be a supply issue of studios at these resorts if a good portion of owners have low point contracts and therefore can only book studios, there is no way around it. I love CCV, last year my husband and I were discussing adding on there, this is on hold for now as we are studio people right now and I want to wait until we see how availability shakes out here with having the cabins in the mix, especially since we go during RunDisney events which are known busier DVC times.

Can you please quote all of the snob posts? I'm honestly not seeing it.

However, it is a fact that more points owned offers more options for walking, changing resorts or booking a different type of accommodation. And booking studios at is getting more and more difficult.
The OP was critical about people with 100 points or less. S/he compares people who bought a 100 point DVC contract and wants to book studios on an equal footing as those with more points with people who buy tickets in the upper deck for a baseball game then go down to try to sit behind the plate. The people in the upper deck as the cheapskates and the ones who can afford to buy tickets behind the plate are having their seats taken from them. That is pretty snobby IMO.

Not on this post per say but have seen how dvc members should have their own busses and other things..I don't understand the need to complain about those those with fewer points or infer they should be treated differently.

Dedicated dvc busses? Are they only for large point holders?

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

The OP was critical about people with 100 points or less. S/he compares people who bought a 100 point DVC contract and wants to book studios on an equal footing as those with more points with people who buy tickets in the upper deck for a baseball game then go down to try to sit behind the plate. The people in the upper deck as the cheapskates and the ones who can afford to buy tickets behind the plate are having their seats taken from them. That is pretty snobby IMO.

Yeah, that rubbed me wrong too TBH.

Whatever. My 100 points are enough for my family of 7 to stay at SSR in a 2 bdrm every other year, so :rolleyes1

I think points are points no matter how many you have or how you use them. I don't want to be put in a "classification" or unable to use mine because people complain or associate walking with small contact owners. From the posts a lot of people do it. I booked at the 11 month mark and can't get two of my days at my home resort oh well I will keep trying or accept a short trip.

Thanks robinb, I read that post when it was new but didn't take it as snobby. I feel bad for those who buy small contracts without understanding the reality booking DVC.

I take the OP to be complaining about the smaller contract owners complaining about the lack of availability. But I can certainly see how other's see it differently.

Last edited:
Thanks robinb, I read that post when it was new but didn't take it as snobby. I feel bad for those who buy small contracts without understanding the reality booking DVC.
I go to a lot of baseball games, so maybe the comparison hit home to me?

Frankly, I cant see how this would be considered anything but "snobby" as directed to people with 100 points or less:

The stadium (DVC) sees this as a problem and is now starting to check tickets. So... either buy better seats or sit in the seats you paid for. Im sorry, but 100pts isnt a lot of points so you dont have much skin in the game.

{snip}

We are a family, it just seems like people want to enable some other members and say, "Sure, buy 50 points and bank & borrow... you will be fine. I gotta tell you, 50 points is like, 2 nights, that's not a vacation. If you wanna stay, you gotta pay. Please stop watering down our product. Disney is expensive, it is also magical. I have always heard, you dont get something for nothing.

I feel bad for anyone who buys into DVC without understanding the process.

I take the OP to be complaining about the smaller contract owners complaining about the lack of availability. But I can certainly see how other's see it differently.
It is not just small contract owners complaining it is anyone who just needs a studio for that particular trip. It is also someone who is trying to book time and has to add each and every day they need as the walkers drop the days they never intended to use. This has to be frustrating and going to cause more people to think they have to walk.

Didn't mean to complain I normally don't ever respond but this post really bothered me. I love my little contract I will see return on investment asap and will have 20 plus years for the hubby and me to enjoy. My son is older and has no desire to go to Disney so a studio works best for us

It is not just small contract owners complaining it is anyone who just needs a studio for that particular trip. It is also someone who is trying to book time and has to add each and every day they need as the walkers drop the days they never intended to use. This has to be frustrating and going to cause more people to think they have to walk.

Walking for some rooms at certain times of the year is going to be a necessity. Or faster internet for the 8am race.

Didn't mean to complain I normally don't ever respond but this post really bothered me. I love my little contract I will see return on investment asap and will have 20 plus years for the hubby and me to enjoy. My son is older and has no desire to go to Disney so a studio works best for us

NO worries. I'm glad you did! Welcome :) to the DIS.

Walking for some rooms at certain times of the year is going to be a necessity. Or faster internet for the 8am race.
*yawn* I was up at 7:00 am on a Sunday to get a week in a standard view at BWV this morning. My check-in date (1/10) is no longer available.

It is funny, when we bought in originally, in 1995 at OKW, the minimum was 150 points, and yes, that is what we bought. Added 50 more later. With 4 kids, our goal was to rent the 2BR units, every other year 7 nights or every year, 5 nights (Sun-Thur nights). Never wanted anything smaller.

It is only now that we sometimes book studios. So in addition to the NEW members wanting studios, factor in many of us OLD TIME members who have aged out of the larger rooms, and are now looking to downsize. Our home resort is now WL BR, which I LOVE, and I am fine booking there over and over. But I do explore other options at 7 months, as I like trying other options.

I think they need to bend to the obvious wishes of the members, and build more studios, and for GOSH sakes, build 1BRs that sleep 6, with 2 full bathrooms. I have no issue with the small point contract new members booking only studios. I only get frustrated at their anger at the difficulty in booking them. Perhaps when the older resorts contracts end, like WLV BR, BWV, BCV, they will renovate to reflect these interests. Who knows.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter