Emotional Support Squirrel Gets Woman Booted From Orlando Flight

Not well at all https://www.transportation.gov/indi...e-animals-including-emotional-support-animals
"Which service animals are allowed in the cabin?

• A wide variety of service animals are permitted in the cabin portion of the aircraft flying to and within the United States; however, most service animals tend to be dogs and cats. Airlines may exclude animals that:
    • Are too large or heavy to be accommodated in the cabin;
    • Pose a direct threat to the health or safety of others;
    • Cause a significant disruption of cabin service; or
    • Are prohibited from entering a foreign country.
Note: Airlines are never required to accept snakes, reptiles, ferrets, rodents, sugar gliders, and spiders."

Yeah but try Getting me off the plane with my support Tiger:cool1:

Not well at all https://www.transportation.gov/indi...e-animals-including-emotional-support-animals
"Which service animals are allowed in the cabin?

• A wide variety of service animals are permitted in the cabin portion of the aircraft flying to and within the United States; however, most service animals tend to be dogs and cats. Airlines may exclude animals that:
    • Are too large or heavy to be accommodated in the cabin;
    • Pose a direct threat to the health or safety of others;
    • Cause a significant disruption of cabin service; or
    • Are prohibited from entering a foreign country.
Note: Airlines are never required to accept snakes, reptiles, ferrets, rodents, sugar gliders, and spiders."

Yeah but try Getting me off the plane with my support Tiger:cool1:

The article says that rodents were not allowed on flights. Oddly enough, the same paragraph goes on to mention them updating their emotional support animal rules, so the two sentences do seem contradictory.

I read those sentences as an "and" missing. Rodents already were not allowed on flights AND starting in Nov, ONLY dogs & cats will be allowed.

None of my friends and family will tiger sit for me anymore. The zoo hung up on me when I asked if I could board him there. I guess they were already full.

I am a good person and I have no choice left but to bring my beloved tiger with me. The airlines have no right to deny me and I will sue the other passengers too if they try to bully me or my pet. We are already traumatized from being shunned by our neighbors because they try to say he doesn't play nicely with others. They never even gave him a chance. That's why we need to fly for a getaway and de-stress in the first place.

It sounds like you deserve a vacation. Educate your neighbours. Boys will be boys. Unfortunately I'm deathly allergic to ALL species of cats so I'd appreciate you packing the cat in your car and driving to Paris or Maui or wherever.

If rodents are banned, why did they even let her board with the squirrel if they were going to remove her?

Apparently she told them she had an emotional support animal, but did not specify what type of animal. I guess it was not discovered it was a squirrel until she was on board.

My question is where do you buy a pet squirrel? Was it a wild squirrel, did it have shots?

Turkeys can fly (except maybe not on airlines, unless they're in a tasty sandwich). I've seen it--they look like a bowling ball with wings, but they DO become airborne. I almost hit one once--scared the snot out of me.

My husband hit one, it did almost $4000 damage to my car.

Apparently she told them she had an emotional support animal, but did not specify what type of animal. I guess it was not discovered it was a squirrel until she was on board.

My question is where do you buy a pet squirrel? Was it a wild squirrel, did it have shots?
Call me an insensitive lout, but I find this whole "emotional support animal" thing has gone from the ridiculous to the sublime. I heard about this incident on the radio on my way home this afternoon. In all seriousness, one of the criteria this particular airline is apparently implementing is that a customer will have to have to provide in advance a verifiable doctor's note "prescribing" a support animal and a record of the animal's vaccinations. Limiting eligibility to dogs and cats makes sense in light of the vaccination thing. I guess people who need support sheep/iguanas/buzzards will just have to take the bus. :sad2:

It sounds like you deserve a vacation. Educate your neighbours. Boys will be boys. Unfortunately I'm deathly allergic to ALL species of cats so I'd appreciate you packing the cat in your car and driving to Paris or Maui or wherever.

As if. It's first class all the way for my tiger, nothing else will do.

OMFG. I'd die if someone showed up with a squirrel in the seat next to me. Seriously, if you can't fly without your squirrel, maybe you shouldn't be flying.

The whole emotional support thing is out of control. I totally get that there are legitimate uses of these animals, but all these ridiculous ones undermine those who truly need them. It's got to be something more than a piece of paper you buy off the internet to get an ESA. And, SOME training other than "Fifi helps me." Properly trained service animals are no problem on a plane. All these "pets" disguised as ESA are.

ETA: For fun, I filled out one of these online forms. I literally checked every box that said "got no problems", except a line that said "I was grouchy in the last week" (and then I checked the box that said "a few times" as to frequency). Then, I filled in the box that said "why do you want this ESA certification" and I said "Because I want my dog to travel on the plane with me without paying a fee." And, guess what? I QUALIFIED for an ESA. Nice, eh? Very thorough process. The letter would be on the way to me within 48 hours...faster if I paid a larger fee. Woohoo!!!!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter