Emotional Support Squirrel Gets Woman Booted From Orlando Flight

I honestly have to question the intelligence of a therapist that suggested and trained an emotional support squirrel for her. The point of the emotional support animal is to help patients that need them cope with anxieties in the world when they venture out. A squirrel is not going to be accepted most places and is likely to cause situations that increase anxiety and embarassment, thus creating more troubles for the patient.

And if it wasn't a prescribed and trained therapy animal then it is just a pet and is a bit if a insult to those whose anxieties are so severe that they require an emotional support animal. I liken that to a person claiming to need a DAS pass when they really have no diagnoses and just don't want to stand in line.

It's only logical to assume that in order to train an animal to provide emotional support you have to start with one which already is included in the domesticated category.

Thank You :)

Im from Ireland and like you this whole concept of support animals on planes is just baffling to me. In June 2018 I took a Southwest flight from San Francisco to LAX. The amount of animals in the departure gate area was just so so strange to me. Some were being walked around the departure gates area, some were in carry bags but it was hard to get my head around the fact of all these animals being allowed as carry on. In nearly 20 years of travel all over Europe and living in multiple European cities I have NEVER seen animals being allowed on planes as carry on!

Southwest has a limit per flight though. I believe it's 6 per flight.

Addendum: It's only on those traveling as pets. I don't know if there's a limit on service animals and ESAs, but the crew has wide latitude to deny boarding if there's an issue such as half the passengers with animals in the cabin. That just wouldn't work out.

Last edited:
Didn't somosom already post the link stating that airlines are not required to allow rodents? Thus, legally, no the airline is not required to allow an emotional support squirrel[/QUOTE
I was not saying that they can not restrict species. I honestly think that esa should be restricted to cats dogs and many some small animals like rabbits and many gunie pogs but those should not be brought on to airplanes

Am I missing something? According to the article, Frontier is limiting ESA to dogs and cats starting Nov. 1. So why did they boot this lady?

I would guess that Rodents were already banned. They're banning everything except cats and dogs starting Nov 1

Just a guess, but like most replies on this thread, that was tongue-in-cheek. I'm assuming the poster knows that a tiger is not allowed.

Why my little guy is a gentle tiger. He never hurt anyone..

900f8b92ec5a65652297d967264fa3f0

In the U.K. this whole concept seems very strange to us! We have service animals, but even those are accredited and have certification to show it. From what I’ve read about service animals and emotional support animals in the US, businesses are not even allowed to ask for proof! Our wonderful service animals have all the rights they need to assist their owners, but as of now, the legal allowances for emotional support animals do not exist. Frankly, I’d be mortified if someone tried to bring a wild squirrel, or a snake, on a plane! In the case of wild squirrels, surely the airline can’t be certain that they aren’t carrying diseases? (Whick could easily spread on a plane). Here, we can’t even bring emotional support dogs or cats on a plane from what I’ve been told.

Technically they can ask two questions.
Do you need the animal because of a disability? and
What service is the animal trained to perform

As emotional support animals are not trained to perform a service, they are not service animals, are not covered by the ADA and businesses are not required to let them in.

As emotional support animals are not trained to perform a service, they are not service animals, are not covered by the ADA and businesses are not required to let them in.

You are 100% correct when it comes to the ADA - which covers land. Airlines are covered by the ACA and they are required to accommodate Emotional Support Animals. But, they can require certain proof, such as a letter from their doctor stating that an ESA is needed and they can also require proof of immunizations and a signed document stating that the animal is well behaved.

The airline can also require that these documents be provided in advance.

As far as I’m aware though, even service dogs are not accredited in the US though, so I personally don’t think that those two questions are really sufficient in determining whether an animal is or isn’t a qualified service dog. I don’t even know what to say about emotional support animals - surely there are plenty of other ways to help passengers relieve their stress on a plane?
I really think proof would be the way to go to start better monitoring this problem. On other sites I’ve seen people saying that they believe it’s an infringement of their privacy to have to disclose information surrounding their condition to people, but we do this in the U.K. and it works brilliantly all round.

As far as I’m aware though, even service dogs are not accredited in the US though, so I personally don’t think that those two questions are really sufficient in determining whether an animal is or isn’t a qualified service dog. I don’t even know what to say about emotional support animals - surely there are plenty of other ways to help passengers relieve their stress on a plane?
I really think proof would be the way to go to start better monitoring this problem. On other sites I’ve seen people saying that they believe it’s an infringement of their privacy to have to disclose information surrounding their condition to people, but we do this in the U.K. and it works brilliantly all round.

I think there is something in the ADA that states you have a right to privacy. By law they can't ask for "proof" of a disability. Disney ran into this the disability passes. they cannot ask for a dr. note or ask what condition you have. Something about the privacy laws. As a result, anyone can say anything and not provide any proof. Something needs to be done though, this is getting crazy.

I think there is something in the ADA that states you have a right to privacy. By law they can't ask for "proof" of a disability. Disney ran into this the disability passes. they cannot ask for a dr. note or ask what condition you have. Something about the privacy laws. As a result, anyone can say anything and not provide any proof. Something needs to be done though, this is getting crazy.

which is the complete opposite of Disney policy in Disneyland Paris. You need a doctors note stating exactly what your diagnosis is and why standing or walking or waiting in line is an issue for you. They are very strict on the disability pass and as a result it is not abused like in the American Disney parks.

http://www.disneylandparis.ie/guest-services/guests-with-mobility-disabilities/
Documents required to apply for an Access Card

Priority Card: for disabled guests (anyone who is officially registered as disabled).

French residents: disability card, disabled person’s priority card, difficulty standing card, war disability card, European disabled parking badge.

Residents of other countries: disability card, European disabled parking badge, other official documents issued in your country of residence, war disability card, a medical certificate (original copy) in either French or English, issued less than three months previously and signed and stamped by the doctor, certifying that the person has a permanent disability.

Easy Access Card: for guests with a temporary illness and for expectant mothers.

Medical certificate (original copy): in either French or English, issued less than three months previously and signed and stamped by the doctor, certifying that the person has a temporary illness (e.g. has recently undergone an operation) or is pregnant.

Didn't somosom already post the link stating that airlines are not required to allow rodents? Thus, legally, no the airline is not required to allow an emotional support squirrel
That was me. Most posters ignored that pertinent section to needlessly point out that the poster who wanted to bring a tiger was joking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter