Epcot, what a pain to get in!

One thing I do that security seems to appreciate, is I pack things in ziploc bags and put those in my backpack. Usually I have 3 large ziplocks and 1 or 2 small ones. I have everything sorted by ponchos, billfolds, medicine, fan and spritzer. Everything is easily checked and only 1 layer. Then the backpack is empty and I don’t have to start grabbing items to put back in it- just my clear bags. Been thinking of getting a small clear backpack it I’m not sure how sturdy it is. I get through fairly quickly.

I'm doing the same for our 2020 trip, but I bought a "NFL Stadium Approved" clear crossbody bag for those days when we want to carry rain capes or other non-pocket size stuff. Still have to go through the bag line, but it's much quicker for me and the folks behind me! At least I hope so!! 😉
I thought about doing that but the thought of having plastic near me when I'm hot makes me go back to my cloth backpack.

Our party has a person in a wheelchair and there was a separate place once when we went. We know we will be a longer group to check with bag on the back of the chair, and another bag with extra supplies for a longer day. I hope there is better flow by January when we go.

I know Epcot is going through changes at their entrance, but what a pain to get through security in the morning! This morning it was EMH and I arrived at 8:30 and had no bag. I had to ask where to go because it was just so jammed packed with people. Then one other day there was no special “no bag” line, so I just walked by everyone in line.
I have to say I have read a handful of these types of posts in the last few months and never for any of the other parks. there must be something that could be done to make it smoother.

It’s so obnoxious, I love the monorail but would choose an Epcot bus in the mornings if it existed from the monorail resorts. Two monorail rides, two monorail waits, clearing security twice, it’s such a pain!
Yes. We've stayed at the GF twice now, and it's a lovely, lovely resort, but this last time we were sort of over the monorail, especially to Epcot. We had a few delays both waiting for one and while already on it. Then it was closed down another time due to a medical emergency with a passenger (who I truly hope is okay). And it was always super crowded. The time it took to get from GF to TTC to Epcot, plus having to stand in a crowded car for both legs of the trip? Yeah, I would have much rather been on a bus straight from the GF to Epcot.

Sounds very frustrating. Sorry to hear about this difficult start to your day. But hopefully by now some of that has worn off and you're having a great time! :)

I remember my last trip at Epcot, the line was ridiculously long to get through security and then again through the main gate. Maybe they should send out a video in advance of everyone's visit, showing people how to have their bags open and ready... and then how to use the MagicBand and finger reader. I wish TSA would do that at the airport too, come to think of it.

Anyway, at least you're at Epcot and not sitting at home or at work! (Like me... but taking a mental break to log into Disboards haha.)

After witnessing people this week...this is exactly what they should do!!

I have a little bottle holder thing that holds a bottle of water and has a strap that goes over your shoulder or cross body, would I have to go through security with that?

I have a little bottle holder thing that holds a bottle of water and has a strap that goes over your shoulder or cross body, would I have to go through security with that?

I guess it depends on how baggy (no pun intended) the holder is. When walking with just a refillable mug, I haven't had to do anything... but if it looks like a bag, it might count as one. Often there will be a security cast member stationed out front as you approach the bag check area. I'd probably hold it up to show him/her and let the CM direct you.

Both of you might still have to go through the metal detector with emptied pockets. They will check your bag at that point.
To my knowledge you just have to remove metal from your pockets, not everything. It's not TSA.
As an FYI, starting about a month ago, they do not require anything to be removed from your pockets when going through the metal detectors. In fact, when I started to take my phone out, they politely instructed me to leave everything in my pockets.

I agree. We always have our bags opened up and packed loosely so they can easily see what’s inside. I actually bring 2 small bags (one comes with me everywhere through the park with the absolute essentials - one diaper, wipes, hand sanitizer, sunscreen, etc.) The other one stays in the stroller with extra diapering supplies, extra clothes for the kids etc.) Security can go through 2 loosely packed bags much easier than one big one packed tightly to the brim.

I wouldn't mind being behind you. :goodvibes
It's the people without a stroller and small kids that seem to have packed for a week-long expedition to a deserted island that lead me to head straight for the slushie cart 🍹
The things I've seen crammed into a backpack :crazy2: SMH... And of course, they have the 17 zipper, 22 pocket bag, and not a one is opened, until they reach the table, and have been asked 3 times.
"Umm, sir ? Could you please unzip the pockets ?" "Yes, all of them, please" "Ma'am ? Unzip yours, too, please"

Before you ask, I have a very small crossbody, which usually gets waved through while I hold it open for inspection. The camera goes on its own strap, and has no bag.

As an FYI, starting about a month ago, they do not require anything to be removed from your pockets when going through the metal detectors. In fact, when I started to take my phone out, they politely instructed me to leave everything in my pockets.

In my trip in July I found it varied by park/checkpoint and also by day (and maybe by security officer). The first day in MK I put my phone charger (external battery) on the table as I passed through the metal detector. The next day at Epcot I tried to do that and he told me to leave it in my pocket.

The following day at MK I set off the metal detector with it so they wanded me. I told the officer that they told me to hang on to it at Epcot. He said in a very irritated way "this isn't Epcot".

At the TTC they had me pass both my phone and the charger around.

At the Contemporary they had me keep both of them.

Then later in the week back at MK they told me to walk through with everything and it didn't set off the alarm.

I couldn't figure out why it kept changing but I never slowed down to ask. After all, I'm in the bagless line to keep moving as fast as I can!

We did Epcot on Monday and MK on Tuesday. Epcot bag check was definitely more of a bottleneck at park open.

I like to pack our bag into ziplocs. Kind of like using clear packing cubes. Like items go together in a bag..all snacks all first aid items, all weather related items, etc. That way I can have my bag all unzipped ahead of time with no worry of small items falling out and it makes it super easy for security to quickly see what's in my bag.

Is the scene bad throughout the day? Or if Epcot is our second Park will we be ok arriving in the afternoon? Headed there this coming week and we’re perfectly happy to Uber to the backside and use the IG as that is sounding more and more like the way to go here...

I may have missed it, but any idea when the contruction will be done, so you'll only have the one security checkpoint when coming from monorail?

I may have missed it, but any idea when the contruction will be done, so you'll only have the one security checkpoint when coming from monorail?

No estimated end date. I would plan on continued construction at various points from the parking lot, security, gates, and into Future World for the foreseeable future.

Agree with those that have said, on a good day, EP main entrance is slow, add in all the construction, it is unbelievably slow!

The front entrance to Epcot is a nightmare when they aren’t making changes...I can’t even imagine using it now. We always, even (or especially) when staying at a monorail resort, find it well worth it to just take Uber to the IG. Unfortunately, I can see that entrance turning into the nightmare that the main entrance is once the Skyliner opens.

Still better than airport security! At least we don't have to take our shoes off (for now).

I know Epcot is going through changes at their entrance, but what a pain to get through security in the morning! This morning it was EMH and I arrived at 8:30 and had no bag. I had to ask where to go because it was just so jammed packed with people. Then one other day there was no special “no bag” line, so I just walked by everyone in line.
Went in July & it was obnoxious. And this was our 2nd security check of the morning as we had come from the monorail. Just absolutely ridiculous. Same situation with the no bag line which really sucks with a toddler. By the time we got into the park, he was done. We avoided Epcot the rest of the trip. Not worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter