Ever ban anyone on Facebook? Or indeed, the DIS?

I had to block someone on here who posted an ugly, personal attack on me. The comment was so bad that it immediately got the thread closed and there was no question that I would ever want to read anything from that person again.
What bothers me about the whole idea of blocking here on the DIS though is that whoever you block can still read and respond to your posts - you just don't know it because you don't see their posts. That could get weird. o_O

It doesn’t upset me. Just get tired of seeing it. Certain political posts about stuff that I know isn’t true. Or the constant stuff about animal abuse. Or one because her posts are nothing but a constant brag about how “blessed” they are ( I mean, birthday posts for her expensive car? Really?).

I know these folks irl and work with some of them. Just easier to unfollow than to get stopped at work and asked why we aren’t friends anymore.

See, I unfriend people I work with, but they don’t ask me about it, just like if I noticed someone unfriended me, I’d certainly take the hint and not confront them!

See, I unfriend people I work with, but they don’t ask me about it, just like if I noticed someone unfriended me, I’d certainly take the hint and not confront them!

Well the one and only that I actually I unfriended from work saw me in the hall and was very friendly but said “hey! I wanted to share something with you but you aren’t on my friend list any more! What happened?” Sort of put me on the spot. So I refriended her and just unfollowed. Problem solved and she was happy. She was one of the tmi types. We are a fairly small group at work and everyone is friends on fb so very obvious when one unfriends another.

Unfollowing just keeps the actual in person drama down and the stuff I don’t want to see on fb away. Win win!

I guess if someone actually offended me or made me angry, I would unfriend them but that hasn’t happened.

I've never had to block anyone on FB, but I will unfollow people. My mother and uncle constantly argue about politics and I can't stand it. They have completely opposite opinion on everything. I will unfollow people who use their private FB page to advertise their business if I have no interest in what they're selling. And I recently stopped following every LuLaRoe page I like.
On here, I have "ignored" one person, just because of some of the creepy things he posts.

I've unfollowed folks on FB, mostly for the constant political stuff. I also tend to unfollow folks who do nothing but share other people's posts...if you can't manufacture an original thought or idea from time to time (or at least fact check what you share)..

I've got a few on my ignore list here too.

Only blocked two on FB. Unfriended 3 on FB. I don’t think 2 of them even noticed I unfriended them, and the 3rd one sent me another friend request a couple months later, which I accepted because I didn’t want to hurt their feelings.

What bothers me about the whole idea of blocking here on the DIS though is that whoever you block can still read and respond to your posts - you just don't know it because you don't see their posts. That could get weird. o_O
It might be weird but I am so much better off for never having to see anything this poster might say. Being able to edit people like her out of anything you see is nice. I think it is kind of funny that she could be posting her ugly comments into thin air, throwing insults that can’t land.

It might be weird but I am so much better off for never having to see anything this poster might say. Being able to edit people like her out of anything you see is nice. I think it is kind of funny that she could be posting her ugly comments into thin air, throwing insults that can’t land.
That's one way of looking at it, I guess. :flower3: Sorry this happened to you and surprised the Mods let it get that far. They certainly can and do ban people for all sorts of things.

I have a couple of people on FB that I put on that 30 day ignore. it's mostly political stuff and sometimes my nephew uses what I consider the worst word in the world. I did unfriend someone from my previous job as hearing about that place would just stress me out.

I've blocked several people on fb. I unfriended and blocked my then soon to be ex husband when he had a problem with a post I wrote congratulating our son on getting into great colleges, his college choice and for winning an award at the senior dinner. He had a problem, I solved it for him. (He was drunk. If, the next day he had apologized to me I would have re friended him. But "I may have misinterpreted what you said" is neither taking responsibility nor apologizing). Now he doesn't need to worry about anything I post on fb.
I blocked a friend of a friend, a married man, who showed a little bit too much interest in me. I've blocked a couple strangers who sent me creepy messages.

Last edited:
Nope, can't say I've ever blocked/unfriended/unfollowed anyone on social media, and the only person I ignore on the DIS is @ronandannette. :rolleyes1
;) Well that explains why you haven't been taking the bait lately...:rotfl2:No matter - when you change your mind and are ready to end my "time out" you can find me eating noodle salad with @RedAngie! :grouphug: Her manners aren't quite as good as yours but she does know a lot more about curling!

Last edited:
I've unfollowed quite a few people on Facebook. During the last presidential election I had to unfollow several. I also unfollowed several people who sell things because I got tired of their constant posts.

I have unfollowed a few friends and family members on Facebook due to constant political postings/rants. Didn't unfriend them because they're like the car accident that you can't help but look at as you slowly cruise by :magnify:.

I've unfriended a couple of people before on FB for being over the top rude about political & religious stuff. The individuals were making wild accusations toward me that were completely unfounded. The main perpetrator, as it turns out, gets drunk every evening and angry posts on FB about politics and religion. The other individual was that person's spouse and basically supported everything that person cyberbullied about. Now that I no longer have to see any of their Faceplant rantings & ravings, we get along a lot better.

I've received friend requests before out of the blue from people who I haven't seen for years and it turns out that the only reason they connected w/me on Faceplant was to try to sell me something. Essential oils or some new weight loss shake or $75/mo vitamins that will change your life. I just quietly unfriend or ignore/unfollow them.

My cardinal rule about Faceplant is I never ever accept a FB friend request from anybody at work unless we are no longer working at the same company.

I've blocked several of people on Facebook - two from high school, because they posted things I found so offensive that I didn't want to see their posts anymore. I've blocked a few members of my mom's family and a few members of my dad's family - they hold very, very different beliefs from our family, so much so that I'd prefer that they not know anything about me or be able to see pictures of me or my kids, and I don't trust the privacy setting on Facebook to not allow them to see "friend of a friend" likes.

I've hidden posts from a few people, to include my uncle. It got really bad during the last election, and I just didn't think seeing the few posts of his cats and his car was worth seeing all the other drek he posted (he's also a lone conservative in a family of liberals). It's not that I didn't want to see anything political (I have a relative who was sharing daily posts from the White House and I'd just roll my eyes and keep scrolling), but he would post inflammatory, vulgar, and completely untrue memes and posts. I went back a few months later and unhid him for a few days to check...nope, nothing got better.

The hysterical part is that a couple of times I shared some of those memes that go, "Feed clogged up by political posts? Here's a basket of puppies" and similar, and he LIKED those pictures. LOL I just wanted to say "YOU are the reason my feed is clogged with political junk!"

I unfollow anyone on facebook who uses the page to sell their MLM junk.

I had to delete a person that sells a product, Wild Tree, she was posting 2-3times a day selling herself. If that wasn't enough she would email once a day too. I saw thru a friend’s website that Facebook put her in timeout for a week. She was told she was SPAMing. She was upset and told them this was how she makes hear living, she ended up getting kicked off indefinitely. She uses her husbands account now and I am sure she will make up another user name. The only thing I like about her business is that she truly is teaching people how to prep food. But she is constantly trying to find people to hold parties and get other sellers underneath her. It is just another Ponzi scheme, but you cannot say that.
WildTree isn't a Ponzi/Pyramid scheme. It's a MLM (multi-level marketing). They are different things. Pyramid=bad, MLM=can be perfectly fine or it can have issues.

For the most part I would say MLM's suffer mostly because they are usually short-lived type products in terms of income sustainability--people get bored after a while (like 31 bags, wine clubs, vitamin related stuff, even scentsy though that has made a come back I feel or at least has good success for trade shows). Avon is an MLM but is not the traditional MLM however. Mary Kay is an MLM as well.

But I would think how you view that particular product may depend on who is trying to sell it.

My best friend's sister is a WildTree rep and has been for 4 years now. I attended her party and then my best friend ended up hosting a party herself. The way they did it was no pressure whatsoever and we sat around talking and eating food. The product is basically spices and whatnot but the pricing is too high for me. I personally get an e-mail from my best friend's sister probably once every 3 to 4 months. I have no intention of buying but nor does she agressively go after people. There's no pressure at all.

We did have a person who was using NextDoor to sell her MLM stuff (vitamin/shake related) and bombarding sometimes several times a day with posts. Eventually she got banned.

just a heads up, its against Facebook rules to use a friend profile for selling or as a business, yes that includes all those friends using it for their MLM. You can report ANYONE using their personal Facebook page for selling purposes. Facebook will disable the personal page and the person will have to choose either to turn the personal friend page into a business like page or have it all deleted permanently.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter