Ever been swept at wdw marathon or half?

kimara

Disney Park Addict living in Idaho??
Have you ever been "swept" at a WDW race?
We will be doing our first half marathon. There are 4 of us going together. My lil' group has had some injuries and while we are hopeful, it is looking like at least 1 of us will not make the 13.1 miles at the pace requirement, but it may be 2 of us.
We try to keep the "Did Not Finish" is better than "Did not Start" attitude, but I'm wondering...
How humiliating is it? Are they nice to the people getting swept-up?
Do they transport you to the finish line? Are the other runners/walkers nice about it?

Thank you for sharing your experiences!

I've never done a Disney Race so I can't help you with what happens when you get swept but, I can hopefully give you some ideas so your group doesn't need to find out. First of all, on your mid week walks, is your pace at the 16 min. mile. Don't worry about your long walks being a little bit slower. Most of my training for my first half was in the 16:30-17:00 range until about a month before the race. I finished in 3:28 on race day. My race had a 3:45 cut off so I didn't have any problems with being swept.

If people in your group is over their injuries, you might try doing some baby speedwork. On one of your shorter walks, you could do 15sec of brisk walking every 1/2 mile to mile. At first, it doesn't need to be far, you're just trying to let your legs and brain feel what the next faster pace feels like. In my mind is was picking up the pace to pass some one. Not to long, not to fast, just get around that imaginary person right infront of you.

Good luck.

jeremy- my sis was around the 18 min mile before she fell at the pool. stupid slippery water. she will be ok, but it will take a few weeks to get back to training. my friend was able to do 16min/miles on her shorter walks, but she fell down the stairs :scared1: and is now enjoying lots of time with her pain-inducing physical therapist. she will get back to training in a few weeks, but is SO not able to yet.

they are going to try to finish, but they each know that not finishing is a possibility.

kimara,

I have been swept in the full, once at 18 mile mark and once at 21. Both times I was trying to fight through injury to get to finish (darn shin splints and blisters :sad2:).

To be honest, it's not a good feeling. No one is rude or anything, but it's just heartbreaking because we work hard and put in a lot of time & effort. To not finish is a downer. They do transport you back to the finish area via a bus/van. Everyone on it is in the same boat. On my DNF's most people were quiet, some in tears, just trying to deal with the disappointment.

Just go out there and give your best shot. When you (or your friends) start feeling tired, try to think of something else to take your mind off of it and keep you moving forward.

Due to an injury, I'll only be doing the 5k this year, but I'll be out there cheering folks on for the 1/2 & full.
Terri

Terri-
Thanks for sharing how that "downer" moment went. We are hoping for the best but trying to prepare for not the best :-)

You know, I haven't been in this training mode too long--my longest run has been a slow run/walk of 10 miles. So it still really sounds funny when someone regretfully says, "I'll only be doing the 5K" :lmao: Do you know what a GIANT accomplishment that is for SO many people. Sorry about your injury, but I hope you enjoy the 5k and are proud of yourself for doing it :thumbsup2

Thanks for your example and sharing those sweeping moments...making it to mile 18 and mile 21--totally amazing feats in my book.:cheer2::cheer2:

Try to start at the front of your corral -- the time limit is from the last person to pass the start line, not when YOU pass it. I've done the DL half twice and neither time I finished in the official time limit (the first time due to personal injury, second due to my brother's injury -- I decided to stay with him) but didn't get picked up by the "slow bus" because we didn't start in the last few corrals.

Good luck! I'll be there for the FIRST TIME to do the half... we're going for the coast-to-coast medal this year. Hopefully it won't be as cold as last year :goodvibes

Kimara,

Sorry, didn't mean anything negative about "only doing the 5k". I'm just so used to training for Goofy this time of year that it'll be so weird going to WDW and not doing the longer distances.

Right now, I'm happy if I can go a mile without having leg issues!

Terri

Terri- I know you didn't mean to be negative. When my sis realized how much of a problem the pace would be, I tried to encourage her to sign-up for the 5k as her first race, rather than the half. "No way"! She wouldn't do it, because she had already done her long walks of 7+ miles so there was no challenge in the 5k for her. It is amazing how far we have come in a few months. Again, sorry for your injury and impressed with your work.

MrsXSparrow- Thanks for that advice. We will all be in that last corral, but we will try to get there early and as close to the front as possible. So if anyone sees some big ladies wearing some lime green sneaking as close to the front of the last corral as possible--that'll be us! :hippie:

As far as getting miles in, you seem to be in great shape and your sister was in good shape before her accident. Hopefully the injured people are able to get some sort of cardio workout in while recovering. If they've missed more than a week, they will probably need to back up a week in their training.

Are you following any plan in your training? If you're already up to 10 miles, it sound like you might be doing a Galloway plan. If you are, you might want to increase the midweek training a little bit. I used John Bingham's "Marathoning for Mortals" and he started out with 30 min walks but progressively increased to 60 min. walks midweek. You might want to look into that plan for the injured parties. Google Books has a sample of the book. The half marathon walking plan is in the preview.

As far as the 5K goes, I don't think it's a bad option. I understand your sister feeling she about "being past that". The key would be to make it something to work for. Instead of walking a 5K,work toward running a 5K, or a walk/run combination. Change the focus from going far, to going faster.

Good luck to you all. Hopefully recovery will be quick.

So do they warn you that you're in danger of being swept and give you a chance to pick up the pace? It would be heartbreaking to be swept and feel like you could have done more.. Well, heartbreaking no matter the circumstance, but more so I suppose..

My understanding is they have a person running at the back at 'pace' to warn you if you're close to being swept so you know to pick it up. That's what I've heard anyways.

Last year, there was guy on a bike with a flag keeping the pace. Other folks were waiting at the sweeping points with vehicles and they would yell for you to hurry to avoid being swept.

Last year, there was guy on a bike with a flag keeping the pace. Other folks were waiting at the sweeping points with vehicles and they would yell for you to hurry to avoid being swept.

At least they give you notice to know if you're about to get picked up. It would be so depressing if they just swoop out of the blue and nab you.

Thanks for the great info! It is nice to think we will get some warning that we need to pick-up the pace if we can.

We haven't given up, but just want to be prepared. I watched some fun videos on youtube where people running in the wdw half or full taped their run. It looks SO fun! Great motivation to keep in mind.

While my pace is good enough and I didn't get injured, I have taken johde advice and I am modifying my Galloway plan to include longer midweek walk/runs with concentration on increasing my pace. While I am under the 16min mile on my long run/walks, I need to up that pace if I want to stop for some pictures with characters.

Questions: Do they have characters for picture taking before the race? or after? At this point I will be pretty nervous about stopping and losing time to stand in line for pictures, but I do want at least one, maybe. With each character is there a picture taker person too?

(I know it's silly, but I think it is part of the fun of the wdw half rather than one here in Idaho...not to mention the great week at wdw after as a reward :-)

Thanks for all the information and help. You Dis'ers are great:cool1:

I was swept at the the Wine and Dine half. Mile 3 let me tell you how wonderful the people who sweep you are. I was having alot of trouble with keep the pace. I just wasn't ready for the race (Humid, getting off a ship after being on it for 2weeks and lastly but the biggest reason not enough training). I was running 16 min miles before the beginning of my trip and couldn't keep that pace during the race. They were motivating me and telling me that how wonderful i was doing and that if i could just speed up a little bit i could keep going. They actually apologized to me because they had to sweep me. These people have the hardest job in the race because they have to kill your dream of finishing. They had a van waiting with air conditioning, water and just a great attitude. They took me to the finish line to meet my sister who was going back to the hotel to get my change of clothes. Another racer let me use their cell phone to text my sister that i had been swept(thank you to that person). Make sure that you are ready. They say you have to maintain your pace but you have to keep in mind the following things. There are picture opportunities on the course with characters and such, you will have to use the rest room if you are slower and lastly it takes time to suck down water unless you have really mastered it. Good luck with the race.

Amanda-
:hug: Thank you SO much for sharing your experience. I am sorry you had to have it happen but I really appreciate the advice. I am going to make sure my pace is faster and I probably won't stop for any pics. I'll pass on to my friends your advice too.
I like that you pointed out that the people in the sweeping van have the hardest job in the race...a very true point that I hadn't thought of. If I have the misfortune of spending time with them I will make sure to tell them how much I appreciate them.
Thank you.
I can't imagine trying to race after 2 weeks on a boat--amazing that you tried!

I've never been swept, yet, but have read that it has to do a lot with road closures. So you mainly want to look at the course PDF and see where the long stretches of highway are. Those are the places you want to pick up your pace.

Once you get into the last park, you're golden. Don't worry about your time.

I'll second the speed work for the mid week workouts. That will get sharpen the saw for race day and give you some speed.

I would offer a slight word of warning on keeping up with the end marker person or relying on folks standing along the course. They may not have the exact correct time and you may be in for a surprise if not careful. Make sure you have a stop watch and are aware of your time and pace.

While there is not garentee of the following, generally if you get to mile 10or 11 on the half course you will be allowed to finish as long as you are moving. Mile 10 clears you from World Drive. Once to 11 and change you are on park proerty and have cleared all streets so there are no other non-park obligations.

Now for the really hard part. It is fun to run with someone but you need ot make a pact a week or two before Christmas. If one of you are failing then they should let the others go. It is not easy to do but it is done at all levels of runners. I have run with a few folks on the board and we have dropped one another in the marathon. Its not all that bad an idea.

Finally, the good news... race day will add speed to your pace. On race morning get out early and go through the baggages tents as soon as you get there. Head left to the fence and wait there. You will be among the first released to the start line. Once released get to your corral and heado the fence in the frnt. That will give you 3-6 extra minutes from the start and get your 18 minute pacer to MK before falling close to the caboose.

hopethis helps

Thanks for all the great advice. I am getting SO excited about the WDW trip that I don't mind having to go out into the frozen tundra I live in to run :-)

This has all been helpful and we are getting more hopeful. Coach Charles, we will use your advice to get those few extra minutes...it may make a big difference to a couple of us. *Nice to have you back*

I'm so happy to have read all the tips and personal experiences! I am currently healing a stress fracture and I'm a new runner. I'm due to be "released" on or about 12/27 to start training again. I'm going to go but prior to the stress fracture, i thought i had a good chance of finishing - now, not so sure. I was maintaining a 14 min mile - not super but I was improving. I know it will be heartbreaking to be picked up - but this is only my first race EVER - not my last.... at least it will prepare me for 2012!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter