Ever been swept at wdw marathon or half?

Does anyone know if they sweep people from the Royal Family 5k? I know race day I will be so excited and hopefully walk/run faster than ever before (hopefully!!) but I'm still nervous as I have congenital hip dysplasia. I did the Turkey Trot 5k in our community, but they just let you do your own pace. I would hate to be the loser swept from the 5k :eek:

Jess princess:

Never heard of anyone getting swept during the 5K - but keep in mind that it is entirely in EPCOT so it isn't like they have to deal with road closures. The main reason always for being swept relates to that and of course runner safety. It is a really nice course and I think you will enjoy it.

I've never been swept, yet, but have read that it has to do a lot with road closures. So you mainly want to look at the course PDF and see where the long stretches of highway are. Those are the places you want to pick up your pace.

Once you get into the last park, you're golden. Don't worry about your time.

Not entirely true. I did the goofy in 2009 and got swept somewhere between mile 23 and 24 of the marathon(the walkway from the exit of mgm when you go by the lake and under the overpass). They put up some little cones on the walkway and told us that we couldn't continue. They told us that we had to be swept so they could reopen the roads but that is a load of bull because there are no more roads once you get that far. I told the security people and the guys on bikes that they were wrong for lying to us and that is was in fact "a load of bull". Of course I was bitter at the time. They had a little minivan and there were about 5 or 6 of us. I had also been told that once you get to the last park you are "allowed" to finish by other people that had done the marathon. Granted, I was slower because I had huge blisters but I wasn't crawling I was walking at a steady pace....I think like 17 minutes per mile. I am not really looking for pity because I know what the rules say (that you must be able to maintain a 16 minute per mile pace or you will be taken off the course) I just wanted to make sure that ya'll were aware that it can happen, apparently at any time.

I had a friend that received a medal after getting swept at about mile 6-7 during the Princess 1/2 marathon of 2013

I've been reading this thread and realized it was from about five years ago. Now I want to know if the original poster and her friends finished. I need an ending to this story!

I am not used to checking dates on threads. If @SherryinBA hadn't pointed it out, I'd still be thinking this was a current thread!

Have you ever been "swept" at a WDW race?
We will be doing our first half marathon. There are 4 of us going together. My lil' group has had some injuries and while we are hopeful, it is looking like at least 1 of us will not make the 13.1 miles at the pace requirement, but it may be 2 of us.
We try to keep the "Did Not Finish" is better than "Did not Start" attitude, but I'm wondering...
How humiliating is it? Are they nice to the people getting swept-up?
Do they transport you to the finish line? Are the other runners/walkers nice about it?

Thank you for sharing your experiences!

I have never been swept, but I did reached a point to where I was off pace. I got to the mat just as they shut it off and got a DNF but still medaled. They were just as happy to see me as I was them. Not sure about the half...

But once you exit DHS for the full, they will most definitely not sweep you. So there is a point where you are fine as long as you keep going. Don't know when they would ultimately say enough is enough. One year we stayed at the full finish until the very last runner crossed. Don't recall her time. But there was hardly anyone around. But they let her finish.

We were close today at the half- balloon ladies caught up to us at about 9.5 miles in, we kept up with them to about 11, then fell back maybe 15-30 seconds as we got into Epcot. After that I think we were safe, we ended up finishing a few minutes behind them, but there were people another 8-9 minutes behind us with official times. It's a nerve racking( especially since I'm running Dopey, and might have had to leave my partner those last few miles if they started sweeping).

I got swept last year at the Princess Half and it was a horrible experience, not because of how it was handled, but because of my own disappointment. My granddaughter and daughter were waiting to see me go past in Epcot and I never got there.

It was my second half, finished the year before, actually did all three races that year. I started in a closer corral last year so figured I'd be okay. Lots of snow, ice and bad weather slowed down my training but what really got me was an injury in September before the race. What I thought then was bursitis in my hips has turned out to be a herniated disc that I aggravated the week before the race when I stumbled over my dog.

I started the race in pain and my Garmin died almost immediately. Don't underestimate the importance of having some type of timing device-- without it, I was going slower than I really realized. I was swept just before the ramp going back into Epcot, around mile 10. I never saw the balloon ladies pass, I must have been slathering biofreeze on my hip at the time. By the time I heard the warning from the bike guys, I just couldn't make my legs move faster, and believe me, I tried. They pulled the vehicles across the path literally steps in front of me.

I wouldn't get on the bus at first. I was walking back and forth and crying and it took a few minutes to compose myself. I didn't see anyone else on the bus as upset as I was, but maybe they just hid it better! I didn't want the medal but I took it, figured my granddaughter might want it. I met two friends from Florida later that day and I'm sure I was a barrel of laughs to be around.

I'm signed up for just the 5k this year. My disc problem returned with a vengeance after Thanksgiving-- I couldn't walk without bending over for three days. With rest, it settles down. I'm still debating about whether to do this race or not-- it's a quickie trip for me, just three days, and the races always take up a large portion, between futzing around at the Expo and then going to bed so early the night before.

Having an MRI today, then hopefully I'll have a better idea of whether I can realistically do this next month. I'll have to walk it. I've gained 20 pounds this year with not exercising and it's a bummer all the way around. I'm 65 so I don't think I'll get another shot at the Half. Not even planning to wear anything special if I do the race this year. I signed up late because I was determined to have a good "finish" to my short-lived racing career. My leg is giving me so many problems, I think it might have to wait until next year, sigh. If they don't sweep for the 5k, I'll probably give it a try. Two years ago I saw a woman there with a toddler, maybe I can keep up lol.

We were close today at the half- balloon ladies caught up to us at about 9.5 miles in, we kept up with them to about 11, then fell back maybe 15-30 seconds as we got into Epcot. After that I think we were safe, we ended up finishing a few minutes behind them, but there were people another 8-9 minutes behind us with official times. It's a nerve racking( especially since I'm running Dopey, and might have had to leave my partner those last few miles if they started sweeping).
I can imagine how nerve racking it is!! I keep hearing if you get to Epcot, you're safe, but you never know. Congrats on Dopey!!

I got swept last year at the Princess Half and it was a horrible experience, not because of how it was handled, but because of my own disappointment. My granddaughter and daughter were waiting to see me go past in Epcot and I never got there.

It was my second half, finished the year before, actually did all three races that year. I started in a closer corral last year so figured I'd be okay. Lots of snow, ice and bad weather slowed down my training but what really got me was an injury in September before the race. What I thought then was bursitis in my hips has turned out to be a herniated disc that I aggravated the week before the race when I stumbled over my dog.

I started the race in pain and my Garmin died almost immediately. Don't underestimate the importance of having some type of timing device-- without it, I was going slower than I really realized. I was swept just before the ramp going back into Epcot, around mile 10. I never saw the balloon ladies pass, I must have been slathering biofreeze on my hip at the time. By the time I heard the warning from the bike guys, I just couldn't make my legs move faster, and believe me, I tried. They pulled the vehicles across the path literally steps in front of me.

I wouldn't get on the bus at first. I was walking back and forth and crying and it took a few minutes to compose myself. I didn't see anyone else on the bus as upset as I was, but maybe they just hid it better! I didn't want the medal but I took it, figured my granddaughter might want it. I met two friends from Florida later that day and I'm sure I was a barrel of laughs to be around.

I'm signed up for just the 5k this year. My disc problem returned with a vengeance after Thanksgiving-- I couldn't walk without bending over for three days. With rest, it settles down. I'm still debating about whether to do this race or not-- it's a quickie trip for me, just three days, and the races always take up a large portion, between futzing around at the Expo and then going to bed so early the night before.

Having an MRI today, then hopefully I'll have a better idea of whether I can realistically do this next month. I'll have to walk it. I've gained 20 pounds this year with not exercising and it's a bummer all the way around. I'm 65 so I don't think I'll get another shot at the Half. Not even planning to wear anything special if I do the race this year. I signed up late because I was determined to have a good "finish" to my short-lived racing career. My leg is giving me so many problems, I think it might have to wait until next year, sigh. If they don't sweep for the 5k, I'll probably give it a try. Two years ago I saw a woman there with a toddler, maybe I can keep up lol.
Oh, Appleorchard, I turned 60 in October and this is my very first half marathon, actually first anything if you don't count a little 5K I did in Kansas in July. Took me over an hour. I'm training hard the next 5 or 6 weeks, just hoping to finish the Princess half. I so hope you get good news from your MRI. Think of what you've done in your 60s though!! And you won't get swept in the 5K because they don't sweep in that one. I'm sending you lots of good wishes -- I know you don't realize it, but you're an inspiration to me.

OH sweetie, I'm so sorry you're having such a rough time still. I hope you can get some answers from the MRI.

So do they warn you that you're in danger of being swept and give you a chance to pick up the pace? It would be heartbreaking to be swept and feel like you could have done more.. Well, heartbreaking no matter the circumstance, but more so I suppose..
A freind of mine got swept during one of the half marathons. She was having a really bad day -- someone actually fell on her early in the race injring her ankle. The sweepers did give her ample warning that she was falling off pace and needed to go faster. Since my friend could not go any faster - it was kind of a mutual agreement to stop.

Oh, Appleorchard, I turned 60 in October and this is my very first half marathon, actually first anything if you don't count a little 5K I did in Kansas in July. Took me over an hour. I'm training hard the next 5 or 6 weeks, just hoping to finish the Princess half. I so hope you get good news from your MRI. Think of what you've done in your 60s though!! And you won't get swept in the 5K because they don't sweep in that one. I'm sending you lots of good wishes -- I know you don't realize it, but you're an inspiration to me.

Having an epidural steroid injection Monday and hoping for the best next month. Congrats to you on doing the half! It's amazing what we can do when we put our minds to it!

OH sweetie, I'm so sorry you're having such a rough time still. I hope you can get some answers from the MRI.

Epidural steroid injection, surgery if it doesn't help. I'm so stubborn, I'm going to give the 5k my best shot, I've enjoyed these races sooo much, I can't stand to go out on a negative note!

Epidural steroid injection, surgery if it doesn't help. I'm so stubborn, I'm going to give the 5k my best shot, I've enjoyed these races sooo much, I can't stand to go out on a negative note!
Hopefully, the injection will help a lot for you. It is amazing what the body can do. I am "doing" the half. I may not finish, but I trained and am doing it. I'm already planning in the back of my mind for the Wine and Dine in November. Maybe you'll be well enough to think about doing that one too. Good luck tomorrow with the injection.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter