Ever been swept at wdw marathon or half?

so at last weeks SW runs we saw a lady get swept at the 5 k and put on a golf cart. They were clearing the course and had no option I believe. And there were plenty swept during the half.

I had myself be picked up by the "sad van" when I did the Disneyland 1/2. I was pregnant and my knee went out, so I decided not to chance anything. They brought us to an area a bit away from the runner's finish, and gave us the "thanks for your participation" speech. I didn't really care b/c I got a medal anyway. It was ok. My mom got swept at the entrance to DHS one year - she was at a good time, and they nabbed her anyway. She was SO mad!

I was swept at the the Wine and Dine half. Mile 3 let me tell you how wonderful the people who sweep you are. I was having alot of trouble with keep the pace. I just wasn't ready for the race (Humid, getting off a ship after being on it for 2weeks and lastly but the biggest reason not enough training). I was running 16 min miles before the beginning of my trip and couldn't keep that pace during the race. They were motivating me and telling me that how wonderful i was doing and that if i could just speed up a little bit i could keep going. They actually apologized to me because they had to sweep me. These people have the hardest job in the race because they have to kill your dream of finishing. They had a van waiting with air conditioning, water and just a great attitude. They took me to the finish line to meet my sister who was going back to the hotel to get my change of clothes. Another racer let me use their cell phone to text my sister that i had been swept(thank you to that person). Make sure that you are ready. They say you have to maintain your pace but you have to keep in mind the following things. There are picture opportunities on the course with characters and such, you will have to use the rest room if you are slower and lastly it takes time to suck down water unless you have really mastered it. Good luck with the race.

Did you still get a medal at the end or even get to cross the line on your own?

I know this is an old thread but my biggest worry is about being swept. My sister keeps snapping at me when I tell her I need to shave off a minute or two per mile before the Wine and Dine 10K to feel comfortable {this is my first 10K aside from last years untimed local march of dimes walk and my my last 5K in March I clocked in with a 15:15 minute mile average so you see my worry. She keeps telling me to not focus on my time and that a friend of a friend of hers walked a rundisney half the entire 13.1 miles and was fine and I shouldn't worry about sweepers.

I know we will most likely be in the last coral and I've already accepted the fact that there will be no stopping for characters and only just quick selfies at the mile markers

I don't know if it's just from reading this MB that's getting me worried or I should be worried and I need a way to prove my sister wrong as I don't want her dragging me down and ruining my fun

I am thinking of doing the 10K for next year's Star Wars, but I am not a runner. Luckily the park portions are early in the race (if they use a similar route to this year) so I guess if I get swept going to Wide World it wouldn't be the worst.

I have walked a few 5Ks (in about 45 minutes with up down hilly terrain) so I am hoping to be able to walk the 10K. I have walked the Avon walk (26 miles day 1 & 13 day 2 without getting hurt/swept/etc). Do any others just walk & make it in time? I could try to do a little jogging on the roads outside the parks to "catch up".

I'm not a walker, but if you can walk at a 15 minute mile pace for a 5k, you will be fine for the 10k. For a half or full, walking the entire distance without sufficient training is probably not going to happen. My wife had to walk almost all of the half 3 years ago, but she had an injury causing her to walk after 8 months of training, and after submitting a good PoT. The PoT put her in an earlier corral, which gave her plenty of room for error. I walked with her and we finished almost an hour ahead of the balloon ladies.

I was almost swept at the WDW Marathon earlier this year. There were women with Mickey balloons following the pace time.

To this day, I hate those Mickey balloons.

Typically, they'll tell you at different mile markers how far ahead of pace you are.

My advice: Don't listen to anyone not wearing a runDisney jacket. A police officer told us we were safe after getting off a roadway and he was dead wrong.

If at Disney World, you are safe once you reach the Boardwalk if you end the race at Epcot!

Just keep pushing through! You're stronger than you think!

If you can not run the race do you just loose your money?

I thought it was possible to swap out for another race weekend with a processing fee but according to the site you can only swap out for a different race that same weekend if not sold out and only a week ahead.

I don't believe they should give out medals to the ones who cannot finish the race. Sorry, but if I work my butt off to train and complete the race and someone who does nothing but pay the money gets a medal too its a slap in the face. Cool that they did give them out to people, but I'd be embarrassed to wear it knowing I didn't really even complete the race.

Old thread... Current worries. I'm terrified also about not finishing my races and being swept. Reading some of these stories helped ease those nerves a bit. Train train train, I suppose.

Old thread... Current worries. I'm terrified also about not finishing my races and being swept. Reading some of these stories helped ease those nerves a bit. Train train train, I suppose.

Plan your training, make sure it's a sound plan, that you can accomplish. Then train your plan. THEN, TRUST your training and your plan. If you know it's a sound plan, and you know you've done the training, then don't let that doubt creep in. Right now, I am struggling to train my plan. No ones fault but my own. I just have had a really, really bad time with motivation and training..

If you can not run the race do you just loose your money?

I thought it was possible to swap out for another race weekend with a processing fee but according to the site you can only swap out for a different race that same weekend if not sold out and only a week ahead.
You CAN transfer, but the key is, like you said, the race you want to transfer to needs to still be open. Registration is slowing down for some of the Disney races, but not all, so it's not always a given that a shorter distance will have spots open. Plus, I don't know if many people know about the transfer option.

There's also a deferral option (your registration fee for the current year is credited to you for next year's event - again, for a fee), but there are only limited deferral spots available, and there's a STRONG possibility that this option is going away (and before someone pops in saying "they are going away!" - I'm sorry, but hearsay on Facebook or on a podcast is NOT confirmation!!! I DO believe deferrals are going away eventually but until a race goes by where the option isn't there or runDisney makes some sort of announcement - LOL - it's not official, in my opinion).

Honestly, I think some people underestimate how difficult these events truly are - I KNOW there are those that think that because it's a race at Disney, it'll be easier somehow or "pixie dust will pull them through." The reality is - it's STILL a marathon/half marathon/10K/5K, even if it is through the most magical place on earth.
Bingo! Pick a training plan that works for your body and your schedule and stick to it. It'll be worth it! :)

My worry at the moment is that even in my long runs I haven't passed the 5k mark yet ( training for 10k btw) and while my average pace is less then 16 mm some of my splits are above 16 mins. A friend who is doing the half assures me that adrenaline will push me through it come November ( that's what happened my last timed 5k where all my splits were less then 15 mins a speed I've yet to replicate since May) I hope he's right and I don't start strong but fizzle out

My worry at the moment is that even in my long runs I haven't passed the 5k mark yet ( training for 10k btw) and while my average pace is less then 16 mm some of my splits are above 16 mins. A friend who is doing the half assures me that adrenaline will push me through it come November ( that's what happened my last timed 5k where all my splits were less then 15 mins a speed I've yet to replicate since May) I hope he's right and I don't start strong but fizzle out

I will tell you that your friend is most likely 95% correct. This is my experience, my daughter and I did the Tink 10K in May our first, first Disney first 10K, I had run a few 5k before that , at roughly 45mins, so I was in our shoes. I had put a 13min finishing time when I signed up, as I really thought I could get to that point by the time we did the race since you sign up so far in advance. I ended up hitting a brick wall so to speak with my training, so never really made it to that point, I was lucky I could do the 15min( shin splints, shortness of breathe, you name it) we were far enough up in the corrals, I think there were 2 behind us, that we were able to run?walk the race and still stopped for a few pictures( not the characters , but in front of the castle, etc), and we finished it in front of the balloon ladies. My other fear was I had never managed to ran past 4miles. so Fast forward, it's now August and I'm training for the Wine and Dine 10K, I'm up to about a steady 14min mile for the most part on my 5K's, but I feel as long as I continue to train using galloways 10K plan, I will be in a much better place, then I was in May, but still worried. But I can say I did the Tink 10K and had fun, so keep training( don't over train) and you will be fine. Just remember it's about getting to the end, not how fast, we have 2 1/2 months to add the miles, right now I believe with galloways pln, this coming sunday is only 3.5miles.

You're right; train, train, train. Running is as much of a mental game as it is physical. Training your brain and attitude towards running/training is just as essential to your actual mileage. The mind controls the body thus whatever feelings are running (no pun intended) through your mind will be transferred to your body.

Training runs should NOT be an all out effort. Ease into and make them as pleasant as can be and you'll find things will become easier.

Last edited:
You're right; train, train, train. Running is as much of a mental game as it is physical. Training your brain and attitude towards running/training is just as essential to your actual mileage. The mind controls the body thus whatever feelings are running (no pun intended) through your mind will be transferred to your body.

Training runs should be an all out effort. Ease into and make them as pleasant as can be and you'll find things will become easier.

Yes. Also keep telling myself it's about endurance, not so much about the speed. I need to stop stressing about going fast and just...going.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter