Face mask policy & children with autism

I have family members who are struggling with this as well; one thing that has helped is that not only do we wash our masks in a small mesh laundry (lingerie) bag, but I wash them separate of all other clothing on the "mini" load cycle.

My hubby alone goes through 4 masks per day at work; he's a mechanic, and often has to work out on the ramp at the base where he gets sweaty and dirty, and additionally we have a strict "1 wear" policy at our house to help prevent maskne (or mascne or mask-acne). We keep our clean, ready-to-wear masks on the table by the door in a small covered hamper (it's not fancy - it's just a basket with a lid!) because, yes, like everyone else here... we have cats! 😉

But... back to the laundry! I always run our masks through a second plain water rinse (no fabric softeners or additives other than 1 oz of white distilled vinegar) and then dry them on our folding drying rack that I set on top of the dryer (takes up zero floor space *and* takes advantage of the gentle heat that rises from around the dryer).

The extra rinse and air dry helps *a lot* with irritation - my hubs, for example, really found it unhappy to wear a mask outside when it is so hot and humid and it felt like all he could smell was laundry detergent. We don't use fabric softener or dryer sheets at our house to begin with; we switched to 100 percent wool dryer balls a couple of years ago.

I hope you find something to help your irritation!
We also wash our cloth masks after each wearing, use scent free/sensitive skin detergent, rinse twice (with the white vinegar and on the SkinCare rinse cycle), and air dry. It really does seem to make a difference. Also, I noticed that the blue disposable masks give me more irritation from the fibers (and I read that they contain latex, too -- more allergies!), so only DH uses those now. My dermatologist was able to recommend some creams for soothing the rashes. For anyone experiencing a lot of mask irritation, it can be worth asking your dermatologist for help.

Last edited:
I have been trying to find a mask that works for me. I have always had sensitive skin, and with every mask that I have tried, they all start to really irritate my face. It starts out with my face getting really hot, then itchy, then to the point where I start sneezing and having trouble breathing. And for hours after I take it off, my face feels like it was rubbed down with sand paper. It is not fun. And this is all inside of an air conditioned building. What are people like me supposed to do? It is really frustrating.
if pets in the house I would store clean dry masks in a plastic bag

We also wash our cloth masks after each wearing, use scent free/sensitive skin detergent, rinse twice (with the white vinegar and on the SkinCare rinse cycle), and air dry. It really does seem to make a difference. Also, I noticed that the blue disposable masks give me more irritation from the fibers (and I read that they contain latex, too -- more allergies!), so only DH uses those now. My dermatologist was able to recommend some creams for soothing the rashes. For anyone experiencing a lot of mask irritation, it can be worth asking your dermatologist for help.

We also use the scent free detergent. It is just so frustrating to have a reaction to something we HAVE to wear. I have ordered some new ones off of Etsy and will see if any of them will work. I do have cats but I have no issue with their fur. I can rub my cats all over my face without any issues so I am sure it does not have anything to do with them. After all, I have had cats for 25 years without issue. I think that it is just that my face skin is very sensitive to any kind of prolonged contact of any material since it feels like I am being rubbed raw no matter what I use.

We also use the scent free detergent. It is just so frustrating to have a reaction to something we HAVE to wear. I have ordered some new ones off of Etsy and will see if any of them will work. I do have cats but I have no issue with their fur. I can rub my cats all over my face without any issues so I am sure it does not have anything to do with them. After all, I have had cats for 25 years without issue. I think that it is just that my face skin is very sensitive to any kind of prolonged contact of any material since it feels like I am being rubbed raw no matter what I use.
Have you asked your dermatologist about this? Also, I wear my masks with the ear loops around pins (like a Disney pin) on a headband or a hat. That keeps the mask from being super closely bound on my face. It is not gapping or loose, but it isn't rubbing my face so much either. Maybe experimenting with something like that could help? I also find the masks made from super soft, high quality cotton jersey to be easier to wear than the rougher fabrics.
ETA: Found this article:
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/13/ras...how-to-protect-skin-according-to-doctors.html

Last edited:
Have you asked your dermatologist about this? Also, I wear my masks with the ear loops around pins (like a Disney pin) on a headband or a hat. That keeps the mask from being super closely bound on my face. It is not gapping or loose, but it isn't rubbing my face so much either. Maybe experimenting with something like that could help? I also find the masks made from super soft, high quality cotton jersey to be easier to wear than the rougher fabrics.
ETA: Found this article:
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/13/ras...how-to-protect-skin-according-to-doctors.html

My cousin is a dermatologist PA and I have talked to her. I have tried all of her recommendations. I must just have really sensitive skin. Not only that, I end up with the constant sneezing and breathing issues. My body has always been weird and has opposite reactions to many medications. For example, those medicines they give you to "relax" you before a procedure have the opposite affect on my. They make me really paranoid and twitchy. I am just lucky that way. LOL I will keep trying different types. I do best with the bandana type that has less contact with my face but those are not allowed many places. I mean, they are better then nothing I would think since they are in the same style of a face shield.

I have heard that a drop of peppermint oil in the mask may help with the anxiety of wearing it for extended periods. I'm going to try it.
Two tips, from experience:
  • Literally just one single drop
  • Wait!
I accidentally tapped out two drops yesterday. Big mistake. Big. Huge. I hav...oh, wait. Wrong movie. Anyway, I lasted less than five seconds in the mask, and couldn't actually wear it until this morning.

• Wait!
I accidentally tapped out two drops yesterday. Big mistake. Big. Huge. I hav...oh, wait. Wrong movie. Anyway, I lasted less than five seconds in the mask, and couldn't actually wear it until this morning.

I keep peppermint gum in my purse. I slipped my mask in a pocket ADJACENT to where I keep my gum, and I put the mask on and my nostrils were burning like crazy from the peppermint oil that must have permeated through the bag. I couldn't wear it. I felt like I was being chloroformed. I just chew a piece of gum while wearing the mask. Problem solved.

@Lilsia have you tried changing your mask periodically during the day? Maybe every couple of hours put on a fresh mask. Put the used one in a “dirty” baggie to keep them separate from your fresh supply. It will mean having a large supply of masks and washing daily.

@Lilsia have you tried changing your mask periodically during the day? Maybe every couple of hours put on a fresh mask. Put the used one in a “dirty” baggie to keep them separate from your fresh supply. It will mean having a large supply of masks and washing daily.

I plan on doing that when my new supply comes in and also hope to tell my job that I need more mask breaks. You can see how it irritates my face because it gets really red and bumpy.

I plan on doing that when my new supply comes in and also hope to tell my job that I need more mask breaks. You can see how it irritates my face because it gets really red and bumpy.

Have you tried KN95 masks? They barely touch the face due to the conical shape.

Yesterday I had my first "extended wear" time with a mask (cloth, I make them myself) that lasted about 2 hours. It was harder than I thought to keep calm with it on. It was a followup mammogram appt, so that might have been part of my problem, the anxiety from waiting (it turned out okay) but I couldn't picture myself in the heat of Orlando wearing a mask for hours upon hours. For that matter, i can't see myself being comfortable right now wearing one for hours at the school I work at. So I'm going to practice wearing one myself, once this heat wave breaks.

One other thing I noticed - unless I lint roll the inside of my mask before I put it on, I'm always finding cat hairs inside that bug me to no end. I wash my masks after every use, and steam press them as well, but still the cat hair gets in. So check the inside of the masks your sensitive kids use to make sure there's nothing there to make it even harder to wear!
OMG with the cat hairs. Cat fur is like tinsel, it's everywhere forever. We no longer own any dark colored clothing. LOL

• Wait!
Peppermint is an energy herb. Try lavender instead.

Also, see if different fabrics make any difference. I really find that high quality 100% cotton jersey (t-shirt fabric) is much easier to wear than cotton twill. And other people like 3D masks (try Etsy). Changing masks often can help, No makeup under the mask. And soothing/calming face balm (reapply throughout the day) to form a protective barrier between my skin and the mask really helps!

Last edited:
So, I got my autistic 7 year old to wear a mask for about 90 minutes at a time indoors only, finally, by using a chiffon mask (it's still 2 layer and apparently chiffon is pretty good at filtering) but it does fall down off her nose to only cover her mouth. I'm going to try a nose wire. But, she faces away from me as I push the wheelchair so I don't see the mask fall. Our trip is in a couple of months so I will continue to work on it. Even so, I assume we're going to get stopped pretty often by cast members to ask her to put it back up. I'm hoping that is acceptable and it's not like a "3 strikes you're out" situation. Anyone tried this so far with a kid that's not so good with the mask?

So, I got my autistic 7 year old to wear a mask for about 90 minutes at a time indoors only, finally, by using a chiffon mask (it's still 2 layer and apparently chiffon is pretty good at filtering) but it does fall down off her nose to only cover her mouth. I'm going to try a nose wire. But, she faces away from me as I push the wheelchair so I don't see the mask fall. Our trip is in a couple of months so I will continue to work on it. Even so, I assume we're going to get stopped pretty often by cast members to ask her to put it back up. I'm hoping that is acceptable and it's not like a "3 strikes you're out" situation. Anyone tried this so far with a kid that's not so good with the mask?

Have you tried making the mask with this pattern: https://www.joann.com/how-to-make-a-denim-face-mask/042188731P326.html#start=1

The pattern is in the download, and it's much more face-shaped and stays up no matter what! I make mine with straps to go behind head, not ear loops.

Face Mask Rules & Guidelines for DTD have been updated today (7/24/20) to match WDW's:
Face Coverings

All Guests ages 2 and older are required to bring and wear face coverings when visiting the Downtown Disney District.

All face coverings should:
  • Fully cover an individual’s nose and mouth and allow the Guest to remain hands-free
  • Fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face
  • Be secured with ties or ear loops
  • Be made of breathable material, either disposable or reusable
At this time, neck gaiters and open-chin triangle bandanas are not acceptable face coverings.
Guests may remove their face covering while actively eating or drinking outside, stationary and maintaining appropriate physical distancing from others.

Costume masks are not considered appropriate and are prohibited from being worn, in alignment with our existing rules.
The use of face coverings is not a substitute for physical distancing.

I have 2 sons with autism, 14 and 16. My 14 year old CANNOT handle cloth facemasks. He had a massive meltdown on Monday after a Target run where he came with me. He was SO overwhelmed by sensory things on his face: the heat, sweat, damp hot feeling, and itchiness drove him mad.

Yesterday, I showed him a KN95 mask. He wore it for an hour and it was a totally different experience. No complaints.

I'd suggest getting LOTS of different mask types and trial them at home NOW to see how well the kids tolerate them.

We are DL locals and this son who had the hard time is DYING to get back to our regular park visits, but I already warned him that he would have to wear a mask.

However, I DID hear that Disney will make exceptions to the policy for people unable to wear a mask for a medical reason. So, there might be an out. I have heard there may be a wristband type indicator to give to those who can't wear masks who stop by Guest Relations and explain the situation, so that they won't be targeted by the "mask police" in the parks.
Thanks for this .
We bought hanes mask at walmart.. they come in white and black.
They breath really well cause they are made of tshirt.
Wash them cause they shrink then decorate with tshirt paint etc.. use a ear saver

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter