Face mask policy & children with autism

We need to stop with this kind of language on here. NONE of us have implied we would be suing Disney or that we were planning to travel hoping Disney would make an exception for our kids. Let’s all take a step back here and remember this is a thread about autistic children and how to HELP them - a little kindness and caring never hurt anyone. Sheesh.
There’s always negative Nancy’s on here trying to think we wanna get away with something or have a get out of jail free card because our child is special needs! We just want to figure out HOW and WHEN to bring our little ones back to Disney while following rules and choosing the correct way to go about it. Isn’t this a discussion board? Gosh

There’s always negative Nancy’s on here trying to think we wanna get away with something or have a get out of jail free card because our child is special needs! We just want to figure out HOW and WHEN to bring our little ones back to Disney while following rules and choosing the correct way to go about it. Isn’t this a discussion board? Gosh

Sadly, the how and when, if a person can't wear a mask, for whatever reason, is when the pandemic is over and we don't have to wear masks. We just postponed a planned trip yet again, because we don't think WDW will be completely open (with fireworks, especially - which is what my niece loves) until another summer has passed. Maybe we'll still be able to plan a trip for next summer if a vaccine is ready and working, or if the virus wanes enough in a year, but she's in Europe and traveling is tricky.

I hope WDW still exists when we can afford/it's safe to go.

It is quite possible someone could arrive at WDW expecting an exception. Mask rules all over the country vary greatly -- from not required to no exceptions -- and many communities/counties/states with mask rules DO allow exceptions. Early reports from CityWalk and Disney Springs even indicated exceptions were allowed. WDW did a 180 on that when re-opening the parks.

Let's remember tone can't easily be inferred from a written post. The majority of posters here themselves or have family or friends who struggle with wearing a mask for various reasons. Suggestions and experiences will be most helpful.

An update to WDW's mask rules (7/18/20):

@ScottGustin
Jul 18, 2020
Confirmed this policy clarification with Disney. As reported, the policy says guests may remove their face covering while actively eating and/or drinking but guests should be *stationary* and maintain appropriate physical distancing.

It’s safe to assume this policy clarification is a result of guest behavior at EPCOT during the F&W Festival. This is a small change and absolutely the right call. It also eliminates a perceived “loophole” that was being exploited by some guests. Good move all around.

ETA: WDW has now updated their website with this clarification.

https://www.wdwinfo.com/walt-disney...rinking-should-be-stationary-to-remove-masks/

Last edited:

Depends on the mask. And the beard. But there's no respiration from a beard. And men with beards - at least the ones on the DIS - actively seek masks that will cover their beards as well as mouths and noses.
Lots of mountain men in my neck of the woods :). Only recently have the more rural counties started to mandate vs suggest the wearing of facial masks.

What I’m seeing now when out & about are men with ZZtop length beards struggling with a paper mask.

It’s not difficult to observe what appears to be sharp uptick in those looking quite uncomfy wearing them.

Am finding the entrance to stores backing up while greeters do their best to reason to potential customers why they need to don a mask.

Noticed one of the blogs recently had a comment as to how WDW will ‘request’ a guest remove themselves from the parks if they repeatedly are corrected for a mask violation. No idea if that is a ‘day’ time out or longer sort of thing.

It is quite possible someone could arrive at WDW expecting an exception. Mask rules all over the country vary greatly -- from not required to no exceptions -- and many communities/counties/states with mask rules DO allow exceptions. Early reports from CityWalk and Disney Springs even indicated exceptions were allowed. WDW did a 180 on that when re-opening the parks.

Cancelled yet another trip to WDW early August sigh. Was looking at other nearby parks for an quick, few day replacement. Was very surprised to see the current policy at Hershey allows the face shields vs masks.

It is so difficult to keep up, just have to check & recheck as it seems everything is subject to interpretation and change when it comes to masks.

An update to WDW's mask rules (7/18/20):

@ScottGustin
Jul 18, 2020
Confirmed this policy clarification with Disney. As reported, the policy says guests may remove their face covering while actively eating and/or drinking but guests should be *stationary* and maintain appropriate physical distancing.

It’s safe to assume this policy clarification is a result of guest behavior at EPCOT during the F&W Festival. This is a small change and absolutely the right call. It also eliminates a perceived “loophole” that was being exploited by some guests. Good move all around.

ETA: WDW has now updated their website with this clarification.

https://www.wdwinfo.com/walt-disney...rinking-should-be-stationary-to-remove-masks/
I saw some tool doing this exact thing in the grocery store. He was "sipping" off one of those mini water bottles and smirked as he walked by me. Being the lady I am, I did not stick out my foot to trip him.

I was worried about the same thing. My son really wants to go but he really struggles with the mask. I tried having him wear one out to a local park and he was miserable and very agitated. The longer he wore it the worse it got. I think it will be easier when it’s not as hot..possibly October or November. If not then I might just wait till the holidays so it’s cooler and he’s more used to the mask.

Yesterday I had my first "extended wear" time with a mask (cloth, I make them myself) that lasted about 2 hours. It was harder than I thought to keep calm with it on. It was a followup mammogram appt, so that might have been part of my problem, the anxiety from waiting (it turned out okay) but I couldn't picture myself in the heat of Orlando wearing a mask for hours upon hours. For that matter, i can't see myself being comfortable right now wearing one for hours at the school I work at. So I'm going to practice wearing one myself, once this heat wave breaks.

One other thing I noticed - unless I lint roll the inside of my mask before I put it on, I'm always finding cat hairs inside that bug me to no end. I wash my masks after every use, and steam press them as well, but still the cat hair gets in. So check the inside of the masks your sensitive kids use to make sure there's nothing there to make it even harder to wear!

Yesterday I had my first "extended wear" time with a mask (cloth, I make them myself) that lasted about 2 hours. It was harder than I thought to keep calm with it on. It was a followup mammogram appt, so that might have been part of my problem, the anxiety from waiting (it turned out okay) but I couldn't picture myself in the heat of Orlando wearing a mask for hours upon hours. For that matter, i can't see myself being comfortable right now wearing one for hours at the school I work at. So I'm going to practice wearing one myself, once this heat wave breaks.

One other thing I noticed - unless I lint roll the inside of my mask before I put it on, I'm always finding cat hairs inside that bug me to no end. I wash my masks after every use, and steam press them as well, but still the cat hair gets in. So check the inside of the masks your sensitive kids use to make sure there's nothing there to make it even harder to wear!
I have heard that a drop of peppermint oil in the mask may help with the anxiety of wearing it for extended periods. I'm going to try it.

As soon as you iron the masks and you're sure there are no cat hairs in them, seal them in zipper bags.

I do that with the masks I have ready to sell (or give away, haven't decided yet) but not with my own ones - didn't even think of that as a possible solution for me, duh! Thank you for the whack on the head! :)

I do that with the masks I have ready to sell (or give away, haven't decided yet) but not with my own ones - didn't even think of that as a possible solution for me, duh! Thank you for the whack on the head! :)
i know from what you said you make masks but I have found at work the disposable ones I last longer in those than my cloth ones. and I am in them from 6 to 7 hours at a small park and only time I can take off is to eat. even have to wear in staff center unless eating. ps i have to bag mine for same reason

I have been trying to find a mask that works for me. I have always had sensitive skin, and with every mask that I have tried, they all start to really irritate my face. It starts out with my face getting really hot, then itchy, then to the point where I start sneezing and having trouble breathing. And for hours after I take it off, my face feels like it was rubbed down with sand paper. It is not fun. And this is all inside of an air conditioned building. What are people like me supposed to do? It is really frustrating.

I have been trying to find a mask that works for me. I have always had sensitive skin, and with every mask that I have tried, they all start to really irritate my face. It starts out with my face getting really hot, then itchy, then to the point where I start sneezing and having trouble breathing. And for hours after I take it off, my face feels like it was rubbed down with sand paper. It is not fun. And this is all inside of an air conditioned building. What are people like me supposed to do? It is really frustrating.
I ordered some masks from Jaanuu. I like them. They are very soft, but not too thin. I put them in a small mesh laundry bag to wash and then air dry them. They seem reasonably sturdy.

I have family members who are struggling with this as well; one thing that has helped is that not only do we wash our masks in a small mesh laundry (lingerie) bag, but I wash them separate of all other clothing on the "mini" load cycle.

My hubby alone goes through 4 masks per day at work; he's a mechanic, and often has to work out on the ramp at the base where he gets sweaty and dirty, and additionally we have a strict "1 wear" policy at our house to help prevent maskne (or mascne or mask-acne). We keep our clean, ready-to-wear masks on the table by the door in a small covered hamper (it's not fancy - it's just a basket with a lid!) because, yes, like everyone else here... we have cats! 😉

But... back to the laundry! I always run our masks through a second plain water rinse (no fabric softeners or additives other than 1 oz of white distilled vinegar) and then dry them on our folding drying rack that I set on top of the dryer (takes up zero floor space *and* takes advantage of the gentle heat that rises from around the dryer).

The extra rinse and air dry helps *a lot* with irritation - my hubs, for example, really found it unhappy to wear a mask outside when it is so hot and humid and it felt like all he could smell was laundry detergent. We don't use fabric softener or dryer sheets at our house to begin with; we switched to 100 percent wool dryer balls a couple of years ago.

I hope you find something to help your irritation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter