Face mask policy & children with autism

Disney requires ties or ear loops so a gaiter will not be allowed.
I have one with dad openings. I think hangers would be allowed because they're knit tubes. Even without earloops or ties, they stretch to fit around the entire head.

And there are some with pretty cool designs, which might make the children in question more willing to wear them.

With coronavirus cases rising at the rapid rate it currently is in many US states may I suggest that if any of your party cannot tolerate a mask then forget taking a chance with their lives simply for a trip to Disney. Disney will still be here when this is all over, but, putting someone's life at risk or long term health from permanent lung damage for a vacation is highly irresponsible.

It will most likely still be required, according to all the public health info I have been reading. Most departments of public heath are leaning towards continuing the requirements until a vaccine is widely available. They are definitely going to be required by most state departments of education for school in the fall. I know every autistic kid is different, but II teach in the school that is the autism center for my area, and have seen some parents have success over the past few months with kids who reacted horribly to them at first. It has taken months of work and in some cases help from OT. Perhaps working on it now might help?

While I won't say that working on it isn't worth trying, as someone who is autistic and the mother of autistic children, please be aware that "working on it" in many cases is forcing one to endure painful sensory processing issues repeatedly to "get used to it." And while the end result may be that they can tolerate a mask it isn't without a price. It can be pure torture for some people and cause significant mental and physical issues to push through.

While I won't say that working on it isn't worth trying, as someone who is autistic and the mother of autistic children, please be aware that "working on it" in many cases is forcing one to endure painful sensory processing issues repeatedly to "get used to it." And while the end result may be that they can tolerate a mask it isn't without a price. It can be pure torture for some people and cause significant mental and physical issues to push through.
I get it, I assure you. I have my own sensory issues and wearing a mask has been tough. The first time I tried to shop in one I had to leave because it triggered a panic attack. I have been working on it though, because I am going to have to wear one all day in the fall.

Another reminder that this thread is limited in scope to discussion of helping individuals or acceptable mask alternatives. This thread is not discussing whether mask use is valid, good, bad or whatever. WDW has made the rules, those who plan to visit WDW property must be prepared to accept the rules.

I am really hopeful we can manage to keep this open to get some first-hand reports.

With coronavirus cases rising at the rapid rate it currently is in many US states may I suggest that if any of your party cannot tolerate a mask then forget taking a chance with their lives simply for a trip to Disney. Disney will still be here when this is all over, but, putting someone's life at risk or long term health from permanent lung damage for a vacation is highly irresponsible.
This is something I have said to myself a number of times I am concerned high risk I have already had to cancel 3 trips and it looks like my September trip will be canceled too it is one of the hardest things I have done but I keep telling my self Disney will still be there and I just think of all the new things when I get back

Another reminder that this thread is limited in scope to discussion of helping individuals or acceptable mask alternatives. This thread is not discussing whether mask use is valid, good, bad or whatever. WDW has made the rules, those who plan to visit WDW property must be prepared to accept the rules.

I am really hopeful we can manage to keep this open to get some first-hand reports.

This.

There are some posters being a little harsh towards the parents of autistic children posting here. None of us have said we will try to break rules in place - we are all here offering support and ideas to one another on how to manage this new rule with our loved ones. If you can’t positively contribute to that, there are many other threads for you to check out here on the DIS.

Has anyone tried the bandana style of pace masks? Where it hangs over your mouth and nose and does not compress either of them. It seems that this is a more breathable option. Kind of like a fabric face shield.

In case anyone is also planning to go to Universal, starting tomorrow anyone who cannot tolerate a mask will be required to wear a face shield instead (so there is no longer an option for no covering at all anymore). Masks will still be required to go on most of the rides so bring one of those too.

Has anyone tried the bandana style of pace masks? Where it hangs over your mouth and nose and does not compress either of them. It seems that this is a more breathable option. Kind of like a fabric face shield.
I believe several people have reported NOT being allowed to use them at Disney Springs, so I would doubt they would be used in the parks.

One of the Disney requirements is Fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face, which a bandana wouldn't do.

I believe several people have reported NOT being allowed to use them at Disney Springs, so I would doubt they would be used in the parks.

One of the Disney requirements is Fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face, which a bandana wouldn't do.

I don't see them as any different then the face shields where your nose and mouth are covered, just not touching the skin. I can see a case for being able to wear one if they allow the shield.

I don't see them as any different then the face shields where your nose and mouth are covered, just not touching the skin. I can see a case for being able to wear one if they allow the shield.
I do not think Disney allows face shield. I believe universal dose

As usual :) @gap2368 is right: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/experience-updates/

Face coverings are required for all Guests (ages 2 and up) and Cast Members. Please bring your own face coverings and wear them at all times, except when dining or swimming.

All face coverings should:

• Fully cover an individual’s nose and mouth and allow the Guest to remain hands-free
  • Fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face
  • Be secured with ties or ear loops
  • Be made of breathable material, either disposable or reusable
Costume masks are not considered appropriate and are prohibited from being worn, in alignment with our existing rules.

Now, I can make a face shield from a soda bottle that will fit snugly against the sides of my face, but it misses some of the other criteria.

My understanding of the reason plastic face shields aren't considered "adequate" at many places is because it doesn't contain the expelled droplets -- it just stops direct forward expulsion. Droplets still enter the air to the sides and downward. I don't know if this is WDW's reasoning or not.

As for bandana style face masks -- I honestly don't see why that wouldn't be permitted, though it may depend on the actual design. I mostly use a bandana or scarf tied around my face as a mask when I go out around here. It absolutely hugs my cheeks and is typically snug against the top of my nose. It is looser at the bottom than a more traditional "medical" style mask, but it's also longer and directs anything down to my own neck or chest area.

My understanding of the reason plastic face shields aren't considered "adequate" at many places is because it doesn't contain the expelled droplets -- it just stops direct forward expulsion. Droplets still enter the air to the sides and downward. I don't know if this is WDW's reasoning or not.

As for bandana style face masks -- I honestly don't see why that wouldn't be permitted, though it may depend on the actual design. I mostly use a bandana or scarf tied around my face as a mask when I go out around here. It absolutely hugs my cheeks and is typically snug against the top of my nose. It is looser at the bottom than a more traditional "medical" style mask, but it's also longer and directs anything down to my own neck or chest area.

Yes, this is what I was thinking of. Unless you lift it up from the bottom, your spit should be contained. Unless you are excessively drooling I guess. LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter