Face mask policy & children with autism

Ray, I hope not. I’ve just purchased several. While I am delaying my trip to Disney, I would hate for GA to not allow these. I’m looking forward to getting out of the house for longer periods. The girl who I hired to do my grocery shopping had to quit so I’ve had to brave Publix once and Walmart once. There when doors opened. In and out in less than an hour. And still got willies. Yes-I was the one in gloves, mask, googles, sweatshirt and jeans to cover as much as possible. With my health and they start triaging those “most likely” I’d be left untreated. Morbid. But true if it had to come down to that.
My greatest “joy” and almost only freedom is when I get in my car and go for a drive on the weekends. I’m usually out 2 to 2 1/2 hours. But I have discovered some places I’d like to visit later. I drive up the interstate, pick an exit and then just meander from there. No goal in mind just turning down roads when the urge hits or “just to see”, a sanity saver but is getting old.
So, NO NO NO please don’t let GA ban these.

The servers at our favorite Mexican restaurant wear face shields rather than mask. The face shields have a built in pair of glasses. Our server said they were more comfortable than a mask. Maybe Disney would allow these.
In my opinion these were better because the servers were it touching the front of the mask.
https://www.amazon.com/Fashionable-...ask+shield+with+glasses&qid=1592261872&sr=8-4One more thing. I live in Orlando and our favorite Mexican restaurant is down the street from Universal
https://www.google.com/search?q=aga...6dWwQABABGAAYASIKYWdhdmUgYXp1bA,trex_id:vW2yE

Last edited:
The Tim tracker Has done a few video and he said the gator ( I think that is what they are called) was the most comfortable for wearing around the park but did not stay on on rides Just thought I would share what one person said about different mask at the park

The Tim tracker Has done a few video and he said the gator ( I think that is what they are called) was the most comfortable for wearing around the park but did not stay on on rides Just thought I would share what one person said about different mask at the park
Disney requires ties or ear loops so a gaiter will not be allowed.

Disney requires ties or ear loops so a gaiter will not be allowed.
I think he wore it at Disney springs. And they might let them in we will have to wait and see When they came out with the statement they might not have been thinking of them as mask. I believe they are really for keeping the sun off you so they might let them in well have to wait to see.

What happens if the "experts" say wearing a mask may not help at all... our autistic grandson will not be able to wear one and we go Fab 2021... praying
You might
i watched a video last night of a couple at Dollywood (don’t know the names) that had these on and they were having a terrible time with them. Especially the wife - it wouldn’t stay up for nothing. Also he said it was 70 with a breeze and they were visibly hot.

I'm watching this closely as it's going to effect our plans for as long as it continues. I'm worried it may go on long enough to keep us from getting to Disney again before my soon to be 9 year olds become Disney adults and our trips may become too costly to manage. I already had to cancel an April adults only trip, and we had planned to go as a family in November, but I don't imagine that masks will be coming off by then. I support the use of masks, but being autistic myself and having major sensory issues to heat already, I know I won't manage. I barely manage when sitting at a desk with a fan blowing on me if it's even slightly warm. Something about the way it's in my line of sight makes me dizzy when walking with them on as well. I can suck it up for a trip to the grocery store, but all day in a theme park I'd never manage. And my kids aren't likely to either.

It's disappointing, but I'm more upset about not knowing if I'm going to lose out on my annual pass because of this also. I know they are extending it for the length of the time they are closed, but if they are making a new requirement that I can't do for medical reasons, I shouldn't lose out on the value of my pass. I haven't reached out to them yet, but will before they reopen and see what they say.

It would be nice if they had an option for people to pause their pass temporarily as even barring medical issues I know a lot of people won't want to go for a while whether because of the risks or the watered down experience.

I'm watching this closely as it's going to effect our plans for as long as it continues. I'm worried it may go on long enough to keep us from getting to Disney again before my soon to be 9 year olds become Disney adults and our trips may become too costly to manage. I already had to cancel an April adults only trip, and we had planned to go as a family in November, but I don't imagine that masks will be coming off by then. I support the use of masks, but being autistic myself and having major sensory issues to heat already, I know I won't manage. I barely manage when sitting at a desk with a fan blowing on me if it's even slightly warm. Something about the way it's in my line of sight makes me dizzy when walking with them on as well. I can suck it up for a trip to the grocery store, but all day in a theme park I'd never manage. And my kids aren't likely to either.

It's disappointing, but I'm more upset about not knowing if I'm going to lose out on my annual pass because of this also. I know they are extending it for the length of the time they are closed, but if they are making a new requirement that I can't do for medical reasons, I shouldn't lose out on the value of my pass. I haven't reached out to them yet, but will before they reopen and see what they say.

It would be nice if they had an option for people to pause their pass temporarily as even barring medical issues I know a lot of people won't want to go for a while whether because of the risks or the watered down experience.

I thought they offered a rebate if you were not able to use the rest of the annual pass?

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/travel-information/

What happens if the "experts" say wearing a mask may not help at all... our autistic grandson will not be able to wear one and we go Fab 2021... praying
It will most likely still be required, according to all the public health info I have been reading. Most departments of public heath are leaning towards continuing the requirements until a vaccine is widely available. They are definitely going to be required by most state departments of education for school in the fall. I know every autistic kid is different, but II teach in the school that is the autism center for my area, and have seen some parents have success over the past few months with kids who reacted horribly to them at first. It has taken months of work and in some cases help from OT. Perhaps working on it now might help?

It will most likely still be required, according to all the public health info I have been reading. Most departments of public heath are leaning towards continuing the requirements until a vaccine is widely available. They are definitely going to be required by most state departments of education for school in the fall. I know every autistic kid is different, but II teach in the school that is the autism center for my area, and have seen some parents have success over the past few months with kids who reacted horribly to them at first. It has taken months of work and in some cases help from OT. Perhaps working on it now might help?

While you may work in a school where autistic children are present, there are many parents in this forum who actually spend every day of their life devoted to raising, loving, and doing their best to help their own child achieve their potential. While many parents may see success, many no matter how hard they try ever will. Just remember, autism is a spectrum. It’s the parents who know their children best, who also know the barrier certain public health requirements will put in the way of their child.

In our school district the premier children’s health authorities (Toronto Sick Kids) recommends that come fall all children be allowed to return to a normal classroom setting with no face coverings required. ....based on expertise.

While you may work in a school where autistic children are present, there are may parents in this forum who actually spend every day of their life devoted to raising, loving, and doing their best to help their own child achieve their potential. While many parents may see success, many no matter how hard they try ever will. Just remember, autism is a spectrum. It’s the parents who know their children best, who also know the barrier certain public health requirements will put in the way of their child.

In our school district the premier children’s health authorities (Toronto Sick Kids) recommends that come fall all children be allowed to return to a normal classroom setting with no face coverings required. ....based on expertise.
I clearly said all children with autism are different and readily acknowledge that. I made no claims otherwise. Just sharing that I have communicated with parents who have had some success. It is worth at least trying if there is a chance at success. I get that it's a barrier to a LOT of kids, but may be what is required for them to attend school. We as a school have started trying to help parents with the resources they need to make it work, or options for them if they cannot make it work. It's something most kids, regardless of disability, are going to have to deal with in the fall. We have other students for whom it is also going to present issues. Better to get in front of it and be prepared than hope it won't happen. I feel like that holds true for a Disney trip too.

The vast majority of state departments of education in the states who have released their plans have said school will require face coverings.

Last edited:
Another reminder ... we are NOT debating what any “experts” say - for or against.

Although that should be part of a person's decision making process for a Disney World vacation, IMO. Gathering information, balancing it with all the different points of view (even from experts) and deciding what is important - isn't that the point of this forum? The OP wants to be told that her child will not be required to wear a mask. Balance that with other people's need to be safe as well, and you need information to process that dilemma - one person's desire over another person's.

You might

i watched a video last night of a couple at Dollywood (don’t know the names) that had these on and they were having a terrible time with them. Especially the wife - it wouldn’t stay up for nothing. Also he said it was 70 with a breeze and they were visibly hot.

With the gators it pays to buy one of the name brands. They seem to breathe better. I wear one at work all day, and it stays up. And I'm not stationary, by any means.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter