Fashion & Comfort - Help!

johnaalexis

Live Long and Prosper
Hey y’all!!!

I’m looking for some advice about my upcoming Disney trip! We are about 35 days out :cool1: and I’m starting to gather clothes I want to take as I was them or find them. While doing this I began to wonder what I should really be taking with us because I know it’s going to be hot 🥵 so I’ve got a couple questions for y’all!

1. What are your favorite park shoes? Tennis Shoes or Sandals?
2. What kind of shorts do you wear (if you wear shorts)? I’m not big on Bermuda style but I hate chub rub on my thighs
3. Tanks? Short Sleeves?
4. Do you wear dresses to the parks??

Right now 85% of my shorts are denim or super dressy and I don’t think I want to wear denim to the parks. So I’m curious what y’all wear!

I want to hear what worked, what didn’t, what you loved and what you hated!

A little bit about me, I’m comfortable in shorts/tanks etc thing don’t have to be modest but I don’t like parts of me hanging out either! I am a bigger girl with thick thigh and some chub (just more to love). I plan on getting runners glide, it helps prevent chaffing but I’d like a longer shirt too just not to the knee.

Sorry if anything’s TMI!! I’m just looking for some advice, while give an appropriate amount of information!

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!

First and foremost, Comfort! When my husband and i go to Disney we average 10 miles of walking a day. Now, we are unusual and love to park hop. I've worn sandals as long as they are comfortable. If you're not sure, bring a backpack with a pair of sneakers. If you are not interested in carrying anything with you, wear shorts that have pockets for things like ID/money. But at least one person in your group should have a small bag to carry. Don't forget: sunscreen, poncho (theres more often a rainshower throughout the day), phone charging cord or battery pack (using the mydisney app is fantastic but uses battery power), a reusable water bottle (you can fill up with water at soda stations and ask for cups of water at counter service) and anything else you may think you need for comfort. I have worn summer dresses to the park, especially if we had plan for a nice dinner. Disney does not frown upon wearing shorts and t shirts to a nicer restaurant in the park, we just like to make a special night sometimes.
Hope that helps :)

I find pictures helpfu!

I wear shorts and dresses. I wear my sneaker type shoes - not running shoes, think more along skate shoes but a little nicer. Shorts come mid-thigh (4 or 6 inch mid-seam) and I wear sleeveless or cap sleeved flowy/airy tops.
ugg-skyline-eyan-ii-serape-product-1-659602276-normal.jpeg

464567_9068.jpg
My dresses are lightweight and airy.
fd675fa3cecc8ceabceebb954b317da8.jpg

I find all of these to be very comfortable for me. Just make sure whatever shoes you bring are completely broken in!
:)

I wear shorts 4-5" inseam, from H&M, with a comfy t-shirt or tank. Preferably light colored. If I go for a dress I go for a skater dress, maxi that's loose, or a t-shirt/shift dress. I wear flip flops all the time at home but people at the park(mainly my kids) tend to step on my feet. So I opt for a comfy sandal. sandal <---- the link to the one I have. I'm still breaking these in a little. I have smaller feet(thin and narrow) so I sized down and they're is still room to slide for me. So I have to wear a band-aid or moleskin on my heel. We're at the point of trying not to bring a bag to Disney. Honestly we always end up buying stuff so we just put 4 bottles of water in the stroller and call it good. I bought a very thin wallet for my id/debit/credit card. I put my phone in my back pocket. Everyone wears a hat, even me! I opted for one of those wider sun hats with no top so I could wear my hair up, before I chopped it all off. sun hat Basically the less stuff the better.

If I wear shorts I use deodorant on my thighs to help with chafing. If I wear skirts/dresses I wear light cotton under shorts.

My feet get REALLY hot, so I like to wear Tevas in the parks.

I have a few tank tops, but I prefer to wear a light weight t-shirt. If we break mid-day I will change clothes completely.

I also bring Febreze for our clothes. This works wonders on bras.

Regardless of the weather, Vans are my go-to shoe for WDW/DLR--have been for 30 years :)
If we go when it's warm, I wear lightweight cotton capris and short-sleeve cotton shirts. I try to take clothes that are looser and breathable.

I wear my nicer athleisure clothes- dresses or skirts from Athleta, Lululemon, Title IX, Patagonia, etc. They’re expensive, but all my clothes from those brands last forever. I have three Athleta dresses that are over ten years old! I know many people will just say to wear what’s comfortable, but I want to look nice in pictures as well. For shoes, I prefer athletic sandals like Keens to tennis shoes, but that’s because my feet get hot and gross.

Cotton dresses with shorts underneath—there’s these Jockey shorts that prevent the chafing and keep you modest and wick away moisture 👍🏻
With the dresses I wear Teva Mush flip flops

Or T-shirts with Athleta Trekkie jogger pants. I love love love them. They wick away moisture, super comfortable, you can wash them in the sink and wring them and they are perfectly dry quickly. With this outfit I wear lightweight Nikes or Allbirds.

I prefer to wear a sandal when it’s warm/hot out. Birkenstocks (broken in) are my go to. I bring a pair of the water repellant Arizonas and regular Arizonas. I can walk in Birks for miles and miles.

If it’s too cold for sandals, I love my Allbirds.

The jockey slip shorts are amazing under skirts and dresses. They prevent chaffing, provide modesty getting in and out of rides and are breathable. I will usually wear dresses, skirts or solid color athletic capris made out of a wicking fabric (I don't like my knees in shorts.)

Birkenstocks or Vionics are my go to sandals.

First and foremost, Comfort! When my husband and i go to Disney we average 10 miles of walking a day. Now, we are unusual and love to park hop. I've worn sandals as long as they are comfortable. If you're not sure, bring a backpack with a pair of sneakers. If you are not interested in carrying anything with you, wear shorts that have pockets for things like ID/money. But at least one person in your group should have a small bag to carry. Don't forget: sunscreen, poncho (theres more often a rainshower throughout the day), phone charging cord or battery pack (using the mydisney app is fantastic but uses battery power), a reusable water bottle (you can fill up with water at soda stations and ask for cups of water at counter service) and anything else you may think you need for comfort. I have worn summer dresses to the park, especially if we had plan for a nice dinner. Disney does not frown upon wearing shorts and t shirts to a nicer restaurant in the park, we just like to make a special night sometimes.
Hope that helps :)

YES!! Thank you!! I plan to carry a backpack, most likely a small one, I have medicine I take throughout the day and it's easier to have in in a small purse or backpack. Also, I want to carry a few things you mentioned like ponchos, sunscreen, battery pack for phone and a reusable water bottle!

I am looking at shorts online right now, something midthigh and I plan to purchase runners glide like I mentioned. I do have one dress I am considering wearing right now, it's a Lularoe Carly that has Donald Duck all over it, I was considering wearing it to our character breakfast at Tusker House.

Day and I do 1 "Nice" dinner on every trip we take, and this trip we are going to Sanaa at AKL and that's on a non park day for us so, I'm planning to have time to get ready before we go. It's good to know, about the shorts and tshirts, I haven't decided what outfit I am wearing to Sanaa. Maybe a dress.... maybe shorts and a nice top... maybe a skirt... Who knows as of right now!

I find pictures helpfu!

I wear shorts and dresses. I wear my sneaker type shoes - not running shoes, think more along skate shoes but a little nicer. Shorts come mid-thigh (4 or 6 inch mid-seam) and I wear sleeveless or cap sleeved flowy/airy tops.
View attachment 407684

View attachment 407694
My dresses are lightweight and airy.
View attachment 407696

I find all of these to be very comfortable for me. Just make sure whatever shoes you bring are completely broken in!
:)

Thank you! I am currently on the hunt for shorts that are mid-thigh length! I have some but most of mine are denim, and I'm afraid I'll be hot and uncomfortable, so I'm looking for like cotton or linen maybe something breathable! I still plan to pack denim shorts for the evenings possibly. Thank you again!

If I wear shorts I use deodorant on my thighs to help with chafing. If I wear skirts/dresses I wear light cotton under shorts.

My feet get REALLY hot, so I like to wear Tevas in the parks.

I have a few tank tops, but I prefer to wear a light weight t-shirt. If we break mid-day I will change clothes completely.

I also bring Febreze for our clothes. This works wonders on bras.

I haven't thought about the Febreze thing! Thanks for the tip! I'm also looking into a pair of Tevas as well!

Regardless of the weather, Vans are my go-to shoe for WDW/DLR--have been for 30 years :)
If we go when it's warm, I wear lightweight cotton capris and short-sleeve cotton shirts. I try to take clothes that are looser and breathable.

I'm a Vans fan too! I never thought about bringing my Spicolis (the checker board slip ons)! I wear them most days and I'm thinking of taking them now! Thanks!

I prefer to wear a sandal when it’s warm/hot out. Birkenstocks (broken in) are my go to. I bring a pair of the water repellant Arizonas and regular Arizonas. I can walk in Birks for miles and miles.

If it’s too cold for sandals, I love my Allbirds.

I've got two pairs of Birks that I wear all the time! I considered taking them, but I also thought about taking something with a strap. I love my Birks, I'm just iffy about a slide on sandal if that make sense. I've got time to think on it.

I'm going to look into Allbirds, this is the first time I have heard of them, but I saw a few replys that mentioned them.

Thanks for the reply!

The jockey slip shorts are amazing under skirts and dresses. They prevent chaffing, provide modesty getting in and out of rides and are breathable. I will usually wear dresses, skirts or solid color athletic capris made out of a wicking fabric (I don't like my knees in shorts.)

Birkenstocks or Vionics are my go to sandals.

I'm going to look into the jockey shorts! Thank you for the reply!

I wear shorts 4-5" inseam, from H&M, with a comfy t-shirt or tank. Preferably light colored. If I go for a dress I go for a skater dress, maxi that's loose, or a t-shirt/shift dress. I wear flip flops all the time at home but people at the park(mainly my kids) tend to step on my feet. So I opt for a comfy sandal. sandal <---- the link to the one I have. I'm still breaking these in a little. I have smaller feet(thin and narrow) so I sized down and they're is still room to slide for me. So I have to wear a band-aid or moleskin on my heel. We're at the point of trying not to bring a bag to Disney. Honestly we always end up buying stuff so we just put 4 bottles of water in the stroller and call it good. I bought a very thin wallet for my id/debit/credit card. I put my phone in my back pocket. Everyone wears a hat, even me! I opted for one of those wider sun hats with no top so I could wear my hair up, before I chopped it all off. sun hat Basically the less stuff the better.
I'm buying your sandals and your hat.
Thank you so much!

My feet are very sensitive and tend to give me problems in general. In my normal life, I wear leather Naot sandals, but I don't really want to wear leather sandals when it's likely going to rain every day. I'm planning on mostly Nikes (broken in, bringing 2 pairs to alternate), and maybe the Keens I just bought, though I don't typically have good luck with sandals at WDW. It's the humidity - I live in high heat (it's 101 right now), but that humidity just does something crazy to my feet. Someone on here recommended BodyGlide Foot anti blister balm, which I'm going to try.

I like to wear a tank top (no layering - one single shirt) and shorts. Definitely no denim, as you mentioned. I wear mostly bermudas in real life, so I'm bringing those. I also bought a couple pairs of quick drying athletic shorts that are 5" inseam. I bought Patagonia every day bras that I think are intended for hiking - they're kind of a padded (removable pads) sports bra hybrid. They're supposed to be good for less odor. I find the typical underwire/padded type bra to be super uncomfortable in heat.

I have worn dresses at Disney. I'd definitely wear shorts under them. I have these and love them. They do well in heat...not sure about humidity.

I absolutely hate hats, and I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to force myself to wear one. Lots of sunscreen and sunglasses may be enough.

In the backpack - ponchos (every day rains), water bottles, moleskin, blister band aids (like I said - my feet are ridiculous), sunscreen, and extra socks in case it rains or my socks get wet another way. Wet feet are blister magnets, even if your feet aren't as sensitive as mine.

Hi! We are heading down around the 4th of July similar to your time frame. We have never been at this time but we have been at the end of the summer in August and it is hot and humid. Plan for heat, humidity and rain. My game plan is to wear wicking type athletic wear during the day and then change into a cuter/cotton like summer outfit in the evenings after our mid day break. I have found the athletic skorts are super comfortable. Target sells come C9 ones for about $25 and Kohls carry a bunch right around that price range most have pockets too which is a huge plus if you do not want to carry around a bag. I want to be comfortable but I also want to look cute as others have said for pictures. Try to keep your colors light that will help you stay cool. White can be your friend this time of year as long as you don't have to wear multiple layers because it is so see through. Bring a couple extra pairs of under garments as you will sweat and get wet and it is nice not to have to do laundry.

As for shoes I always bring canvas type shoe like Keds, an athletic shoe, Birkenstocks, and a flip flop sandal. You want to be able to rotate your shoes and if one gets wet and soaked you want to have something else to wear. If your tennis shoes or canvas shoes get soaked stuff them with newspaper this will help pull the moisture out of your shoes and help them dry faster.

Chub Rub is not fun and one tip I picked up here years ago that has been my favorite it Monistat Cooling Chaffing Gel. It is sold in a tube and comes out as a cold gel but when you rub it in it feels like powder. I have used it for the chub rub but I also use it under my breasts because in the heat they get sweaty and this helps so much. Keeps the bra from getting uncomfortable. I have also used it on my heals and feet when things are rubbing. It is like $6 and I pick mine up at Target.

Have fun, I hope I helped a little sorry it is so long.

I have to mention about shorts under dresses - unless your dress is very flowy/short and it's windy, I never felt the need for them. So much lighter/cooler feeling w/out shorts.

Last trip I hopped on and off most rides and not once did anyone get a flash of anything. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter