February 2019 - Love, Love Love ... A month of loving Disney, Healthy Living, Yourself

I feel like knowledge is not my problem. It’s acting upon it. I am an academic minded person, so when I first started losing weight I did a lot of reading about a lot of things. A lot of it was really helpful and I was able to use my knowledge to help with weight loss. For example learning about glycemic index and how this helps to keep hunger away is helpful. I found my ideal office snack for the afternoon thanks to that: hard boiled eggs!

In other news: scale moved today!! So, I need to keep up what I have been doing!

Topic Tuesday
What is something you would like to learn more about to help you with healthier living?

I am not very confident in the kitchen. Most of my healthy meals tend to be fairly bland. So I would like to learn more about cooking healthy, but flavorful meals. Most of the recipes that I've gotten from friends & family tend to be tasty, but not very healthy ;) I recently started ordering from Hello Fresh. We skip a lot of weeks and try to only order once a month because of the cost. But it has helped me to try new recipes and become a better cook. I've also tried some different websites to find new recipes and try new things. But I need to do it more. I tend to keep cooking the same meals each week. When I try something new, the whole family loves it. And sometimes I can even get them to help out with the cooking!

"What is something you would like to learn more about to help you with healthier living?"

Definitely agree with cooking. When things are busy, I tend to fall into a rut instead of learning new recipes.

(though today I made a chicken parm that was a hit!!)

I could use a session with a nutritionist-how much is too much, for instance, salt, sugar, etc. I might check into that!

This is a great idea - I know I have been thinking about salt - starting Keto they get you to add salt a lot and I have been experiencing some tingling sensations in my toes/feet for a few weeks - when I googled other people seemed to experience it too and was due to lack of sodium, magnesium or potassium - I am seeing the doctor next week and will check it all out with her.

I feel like knowledge is not my problem. It’s acting upon it.

What can you learn about yourself that affects acting upon it? But you are a busy lady and have had a big year with lots of well deserved celebration. Yeah for the scale moving in the downward direction :banana:

Most of my healthy meals tend to be fairly bland. So I would like to learn more about cooking healthy, but flavorful meals.

Bland is not sustainable long term is it? If its boring it won't stick! Good luck finding some tasty healthiness.

When things are busy, I tend to fall into a rut instead of learning new recipes.

It is so easy to do that as we don't have to think about it too much - it is all automatic - my busy downfall has always been we then get takeout :oops:

I need to learn more about my new Keto style eating and other ways to improve my bloodwork numbers.

:woohoo: My scale moved down a little more after a week of slight upward movement then down a little and sitting there for days - despite eating being on track.
:woohoo: I am really happy with how my landscaping project in the backyard is turning out - its not finished yet but soooo much more usable and calming to look out upon. I will take a pic tomorrow in the daylight to share with you all.
:woohoo: DS15 got his splint off today - a few weeks of strengthening and no heavy lifting then all should be good again. He is :woohoo: that he should be able to get back to work and start earning some $$

so take some time, introduce yourselves (if you haven't already), share your goals and chat about anything that is on your mind today

I finally managed to find the monthly thread after all these months. I am Tammy and I live with my husband and 2 girls ages 14 and 11 in Montana where as of my writing this we still have snow on the ground but at least it has been in the low to mid 20s and no wind. Hurrah for being able to walk to our vehicles without risking frost bite due to 40 to 60 below wind chills and more snow coming down plus icy roads. My goal is to work on getting a schedule for the timing of my thyroid natural medication (that has to be taken on an empty stomach and I can't eat for 1 hour after taking it), my trim stik (which I aim for at least 1 a day for now and eventually hope to get it to 2 a day) and taking at least 1 burn cap a day usually before my heaviest meal plus eating small meals throughout the day to prevent over indulgence due to hunger.

What is motivating you this week?
One thing that is motivating me this week is my clothes fitting better. I got some pants from my sister for Christmas and even though they were in the same size as a brand I know fit me (I have 2 pairs of capri and 1 longer length pair in this brand. The longer pair purchased for the funeral of my forever 44 year old cousin who took her life in early October 2017 leaving behind twin boys who are only 16.5 months younger than 14 year old (She and I were not quite 15 months apart) they were a bit tight and tough to sit down in. I ended up putting a pair on due to having nothing else that was clean (other than capri pants and those were not going to work in sub zero weather without the wind chill factored in) and was surprised to see that they fitted comfortably. I could actually sit down and not have it tight against my stomach hind end, and thighs. I could even breath in them.

How are you going with water consumption? Is it something you like the taste of or do you find yourself needing to add a flavour in some way? If you need to improve what are some strategies you could try this week? If you have successfully changed up your water habits, what differences did it make? I am fairly good about my water drinking for the most part. It has helped that I have gotten a mixer bottle that has a locking flip spout that actually fits in my vehicle cup holder. Plus I love my M Stiks though my favorite has to be the Soul (Mood) which is a tropical fruit mixed with a Smart (Brain Boost) which is pineapple flavored. I also like the Smart mixed with a Trim (Apatite Control) which is Strawberry Kiwi Flavored. I drink a mix of these which add no more than 10 calories to a 16 oz bottle of water. I mix mine in a 26 oz bottle and it blending 2 flavors add more water between half and 2/3 gone filling it up again. Plus I drink plain water as well and when I think about it fruit enhanced water. The difference that drinking enough water has made especially with adding the M Stiks to my water (started last August) is I have been able to quench my thirst that I don't drink nearly as much soda or sweet tea though I do still have one once in a while. Most years at the fair I drink at least 5 32 oz or larger sweet teas and 3 sodas. Last Summer I only drank one and that was after working hard helping with the great hog pen clean out (Some how things got messed up and the used bedding from the small animals including poultry got put down instead of the clean bedding that was supposed to be put down and this was discovered the afternoon before hogs were supposed to check in for the show with a few that had a conflict for other shows checking in in less than 4 hours. In thanks for our help the fair officials gave everyone bottles of water while we were working and soda after we were done. Most of mine ended up going to 11 year old.

Bonus Question: When at Disney how do you hydrate? Do you notice differences there than at home in your habits?
Sadly I have only been on 3 Disney Trips (2 one day visits to land at 14 and 21 years old) and a week long trip to world 9 years ago last month) so I can't say much on this. I did carry a 20 oz Klean Kanteen in the parks for our week long trip that I would fill full with ice and add water in the morning (had to fill the coffee pot to do so) and then we would refill in the parks often at the fountains. The water did not bother me like it does some so I was fine drinking it.
What are you celebrating today? Share it all big or small so we can celebrate with you

. what thinking/attitude are you going to turn topsy turvy this month to help you LOVE LOVE LOVE yourself and healthy living ?

you get to decide what you want to chat about .... anything and everything

The last few months have been quite a challenge and there were plenty of temptations to stuff my face and my feelings. In April 2018 one of my best friends growing up was killed in a mysterious vehicle accident (supposedly he fell off the running boards of a truck but some how fell under the vehicle and got ran over by the rear axle. the name of the driver of the vehicle who is an adult over 18 was not released and his family has had to fight to get information about the investigation to the point where one of his siblings had their career threatened over it. Due to his sexual orientation and the fact that he had served the partriot guard was at the service which the location had to be kept hush hush In June the company that I have been with as an independent consultant for 3 years, 3 months and 5 days closed it's doors. Luckily we were immediately bought out by the company that we were supposed to form an alliance with (we would carry their products and they would carry ours but each company would pay based on a different commission that they were already using) in November a 3rd company joined and we went under a new name. Right during the middle of this fair (in early August), those 4-H record books (September) my cousin's suicide (early October) plus in April just before loosing my friend my father in law had emergency brain surgery and my mother in law had open heart surgery last week. In addition to all this there is the vehicle saga of my life. I was coming home from town stopped at the 4 way half a mile from our shared driveway with my parents and siblings when it started sounding like I was dragging C3P0 and R2D2. Checked things didn't see anything but we did park the truck until we could get it into the shop. Did not have 3K for transmission replacement not to mention 2K for the other repairs that need to be done which does not include replacing the air conditioning. Looked at getting something newer but did not have money for a down in savings and could not find something at a payment we could afford with DH being in the slow time of year where we needed to base it on. Decided to try and drive the truck until summer when we could get it repaired (ok it would have been closer to fall but we would have the funds to put aside to save for the repairs needed). A week ago today as DH was taking 11 year old into town for her speech and occupational therapy appointment he pulled over because it sounded terrible not even half a mile from the house. Called me and told me what was going on and ended up calling my dad to tow the truck home. Wednesday morning my parents leave on one of those senior citizen bus tours that evening I get a call from my dad where he tells me there is a car that he has bought thinking in the future we might be able to buy it and have it for 14 year old to drive. (Never mind that we have pointed out that she will not be able to take driver's ed this summer because how her birthday falls she barely misses being old enough to take it through the district we are zoned for (that one is you must be 14 years and 6 months when the course starts) and that other obligations (like fair where she participates in shows) conflict with a neighboring district (if she can even take it there. I know when I was in high school you could). She might be able to take Driver's Education this fall. I say might because there is the issue of can she take it our of district or at a private school (without being a student enrolled there) and if she can not the district we are zoned for has a lottery system where if you get in you have I think it's 5 days to go into the main office and pay the course fee. Summer there is no lottery so if nothing else she would have to wait until she is closer to 15.5 to take the course. Plus for the first year or so I don't want to hand her a vehicle that is considered hers.
DH and I talked it over after going and looking at the vehicle to determine if I could fit behind the steering wheel and decided to take my dad up on the offer to purchase the car at the price he bought it for. We found out that it has what is called a bonded title because of hail damage (that had to be reported by the previous owner because it was under finance at the time. Insurance refused to pay because it was going to cost more than worth but it still ran and other than some spots in the hood, roof, and trunk it is fine (we get lots of hail her so no big deal it looks like every other vehicle around these parts or at least ones older than 2-3 years) we could not get a vehicle loan from our credit union so we ended up going with a small personal loan of a little over double what we need to pay for the vehicle (that way when my dad and dh went over things knowing that we need to watch the break fluid from the person my dad bought it from we would have the funds for the repairs plus we figured some to get title and tags. We went and got the loan and the money on Thursday came and paid my brother who gave us the keys and title according to my dad's directions. Went Friday to try and get the title and tags taken care off only to discover that the letter from the previous person's credit place had the wrong year on it even though the vin was correct. Lucky me I have a nice 40 day sticker to use so at least I can drive it.
In addition two young people a 19 year old young man from college is fighting a genetic kidney disease (that runs in his mother's family on her mom's side) and a 18 year old young lady from our local home school group and our 4-H club (She is fighting a rare from of liver cancer especially in someone so young. This form from what we have been told through the home school group is more likely to hit some one over age 60 and even that is lower odds than getting stuck by lightening twice in your life time in the same location on the earth. Both of these situations are breaking my heart seeing the struggle they and their families are going though.
What is motivating you this week?
This week my motivation is getting to where I don't need to use a seat belt extend it is so close in both the truck and the car.

What are you doing do build or maintain strength? Weight bearing exercise is important for more than just building muscle and metabolism. For those of us in certain stages in our live it is important for bone density to help guard against osteoporosis.
Honestly right now not much other than some light walking. I managed to dislocate my near down at the fair ground during the summer and well I don't have the upper body strength to use crutches found out my legs are too big to use a wrap so it was down to light walking as I have slowly built up and hoping it didn't go out (DH has been told he owes me lots of nights on the town because of my knee going out more than I do)

Share your triumphs with us and we will celebrate your amazingness this week ... all woohoo's are celebrated no matter how big or small - we love them all
I have managed to keep off over just over 20 pounds since early August 18 even with tearing my knee out in mid August and the holidays thrown in.

Lets share 3 things we love about ourselves, our healthy journey and of course Disney! Challenge can you come up with 3 things for each category?
Myself-My pale green eyes (I have a color that is considered rare), you would not be able to guess who I am from a childhood photo (Let's just say the color hair I was born with, what I had about age 3 and my color now-not counting the white stands are completely different and leave it at that), I care deeply about others. Healthy Journey-I have finally gotten my thyroid under control, I am eating less junk and more healthy food, I have cut way back on soda and sweet tea consumption.

How are you feeling today, did you eat lots of valentines chocolates? How does it feel to be half-way - are you on track to achieve your goals or do you need to re-group to bring it home?
Felt fairly good about valentines day did not have any chocolate. Did purchase 2 dozen doughnuts from krispy kream for the entire family to share and ordered pizza for dinner that night (promised 14 year old we would take advantage of her grandfather (my dad) being out of town and order so we didn't have to hear you can't afford it you don't need to order pizza is every thing you owe paid off having food that you have not fixed at home or that isn't prepared at a family members home should be a rare treat yada yada yada blah blah blah) and surprisingly there were some of both left the next day. If I recall a full dozen doughnuts and 2/3 of the pizza.

Morning all! Time to get your motivation on .... share with us what is motivating you this week...
This week it is being able to pull my swim bottoms up when they are damp by myself. Luckily I found another plus size mom in the locker room when I couldn't get mine up after going to the restroom at the indoor water park we had 14 year old's disaster of a birthday party at (place was nice the disaster was she had invited 4 friends plus our family and her one cousin (which we doubted could come because she didn't include the brother even though it was an all girls party. Drama between 2 of her guests resulting in her finding out that the one who was mad at the other didn't bother to tell the other she was mad in the first place or why and 14 year old who isn't that great with here are the details (note neither family was what time where they did have the day because well she said that much) blocked the one girl on her social media (she had met this girl through the other girl that this one was mad at but only telling 14 year old), trying to make sure the other girl did not need a ride the night before and found out that the other girl had another commitment that had we known we could have held 14 year old's friend party at a later date and just done cake and ice cream with the grandparents that night. Then during the party when her other 2 friends (two sisters from our home school group) that the mom had all the information because well we are friends as well so I messaged her the information and got the confirmation that they could come and that they would be there about x time due to some of their other activities that day, had not shown up by a certain time 14 year old used my phone to message the mom to ask if everything was all right thinking they might have been in an accident with our icy roads to find out that the one girl that is more her friend (sister is closer to 11 year old in age actually) had a reaction the her acne medication and had to go to the ER. We are going to do some sort of make up party for her half birthday this summer.

What is something you would like to learn more about to help you with healthier living?
This one is my hardest though I would have to say having a chart to keep track of is this good for me today or bad. Though I really don't care if I want eggs I will have them anyways who cares if today all eggs are bad for you and yesterday egg whites were fine and tomorrow the entire egg is good for you. My head is spinning just keeping it all straight and when I need a score card to keep track of what each diet program or supposed expert says to eat or not eat I am so tempted to throw in the towel so my rule is ever thing is ok in moderation though some thing such as those known to have refined sugar products including natural ones like honey and agave syrup need a lot more of the moderation. The only other rule is don't eat anything your allergic to and know it because well that is just idiocracy and asking for trouble. Besides no one wants to test out how well emergency response can respond.

I finally managed to find the monthly thread after all these months. I am Tammy

Welcome back Tammy - I did wonder how you were going in the snowy weather :-) Sounds like you have had a lot going on - sorry to hear about the loss of loved ones and others coping with illness. Keeping 20pounds off is amazing - well done :cheer2:

Hey all - we are expecting a weather event over here Friday and the weekend. There is a cyclone that has just gone over Vanuatu and New Caledonia - it is headed towards the south-east Queensland coast. It is coming a lot lower down the Queensland coast than cyclones usually do. They are unsure if it will actually cross land yet - but are still expecting ALOT of rain, strong winds and beach erosion. So tomorrow I better hit the shops and get some supplies just in case. The Sunshine Coast area here is expected to get most of the rain - so if it does decide to cross I am starting to think it may be around here close :eek:

Hi Sweetpeama! I've heard Montana is beautiful, but man, that weather would kill me! Sorry for all you're dealing with, but glad you're back here to get some pixie dust (the extra-magic kind, doesn't freeze even in Montana weather!)

Funny you should mention it! Out of all the books people recommend, this is the *ONE* that my local library had! I can probably get the others on inter-library-loan, but I ran out yesterday and grabbed this one knowing that the weather prediction for today was bleak. So now it is sitting here beside me, and my wish for today is to sit in my cozy living room, watching the beautiful snow fall, and read a book. (The whole family is home with schools closed again today, so notice I used the word "wish," not "plan...") :rolleyes1

[QUOTE="4Mickeys, post: 60283592, member: 525311"]Hey all - we are expecting a weather event over here Friday and the weekend. There is a cyclone that has just gone over Vanuatu and New Caledonia - it is headed towards the south-east Queensland coast. It is coming a lot lower down the Queensland coast than cyclones usually do. They are unsure if it will actually cross land yet - but are still expecting ALOT of rain, strong winds and beach erosion. So tomorrow I better hit the shops and get some supplies just in case. The Sunshine Coast area here is expected to get most of the rain - so if it does decide to cross I am starting to think it may be around here close :eek:[/QUOTE]

Goodness, be safe!!! Still, even in the worst of weather, I hope to see Australia some day!!! :)

Now, topics... what I want to learn about healthy living... I'd love to learn to love exercise. I do it, but I don't love it. And the same thing with "healthy eating." I am actually a pretty good cook, and I love trying new things... but I don't get the trendy-obsessiveness of certain foods. Cauliflower rice? Great if you want to cut calories and carbs. Kale? Healthy, but not fun to eat. Quinoa? Ick. And soooooo many recipes labelled "healthy" seem to have some combination of those things. Like Sweetpeama said, it seems to change so often and seem so trendy.

Woohoos for today: Still riding the high from planning my getaway next month. I'm doing better at narrowing down my research to day hikes and car camping, so the information I'm getting is a little more useful (but I'm still loving the idea of just selling everything and being a trail hobo for months on end! Not realistic, though... aside from the obvious bills-and-kids limitations and a physical disability... people really hate snorers in the shelters and hostels)

The scale was down again today, woohoo! That puts me at 11.something down for the year... not really noticeable yet, but at least it's not a gain! I'm trying to frame it in a hiker mindset-- losing 10lbs out of your pack is HUGE. So carrying 10lbs less IN my body should be huge as well.

And the snow here today is beautiful and peaceful (well, it would be, if everyone would be quiet...) but best of all, it's supposed to clear itself away with rain in the afternoon, so no cleanup! And tomorrow's prediction looks nice, so I'm hoping to get out and moving tomorrow.

Have a great day, everyone!!! Stay warm where it's cold, dry where it's rainy, safe where it's Australia, and happy wherever you are!!!

@4Mickeys I hope it does hit land. Stay safe.

@sweetpeama Glad to see you are back. I was wondering how you were doing. I am so sorry for your lose and everything else you have been dealing with.

I am not very woohoo today. I am in a bit of a funk. I had no desire to workout yesterday and I ate horribly. But I can woohoo 3 things.

1. I have had 20 oz of water every day this month.
2. DD is handling the issue on the bus pretty good now. We bought her an MP3 player over the weekend so she could drown out the boys by listening to music.
3. DS is sticking up for DD. I love to see how close they are. I never had this with any of my siblings and I have 4.

Welcome back, sweetpeama-I am sorry for all you are dealing with on top of a brutal winter.

4Mickeys, stay safe! It’s good you have some warning and can hunker down.

Another snow day here-but I shopped yesterday and we have a nice dinner planned. I will make applesauce after lunch-which tastes wonderful warm!

@sweetpeama I'm sorry for your loss. You are certainly dealing with a lot right now. Stay strong. We are here for you!

@4Mickeys Stay safe! The weather certainly has been crazy lately. Another snow day here, turning to freezing rain later, then rain overnight. By tomorrow it's supposed to be a high of 50 degrees!

@sjrec I remember when my mom would make applesauce. And I agree, it is sooooo good when it's warm!

My woohoo is that I'm down 5 pounds for this month so far...but it's been fluctuating up and down a pound or so this week. Also I've been maintaining my daily workouts...even if I'm stuck inside and not quite reaching my steps goal each day.

Stay safe! The weather certainly has been crazy lately. Another snow day here, turning to freezing rain later, then rain overnight. By tomorrow it's supposed to be a high of 50 degrees!

This sounds like our weather. Snow this morning turning to freezing rain around 10 am and the rain by the afternoon and by Saturday 50's. The snow came at rush hour. Took me an hour to drop the kids off at school and get to the rapid station,. Normally takes 30 minutes. I am just glad I have the option of the train instead of driving the whole way in.

My wahoo is that I just bought DS2's plane ticket home for spring break. I've paced in the house today so I could meet my step goals! I made it to yoga tonight. I tracked my food in my fitness pal and am doing fine calorie wise.

Last night I had a meeting and it was a long one! ugh. I just kept thinking... seriously...we are going to be together all weekend... do we really need to discuss this now. But it's over so another wahoo. :rotfl2: I did not make any friends last night when I vehemently said no, we do not need treats at these meetings! Hey she asked and I answered--quickly! So the retreat I've been dreading is this weekend. I am trying to turn that frown upside down so to speak. It could be the best thing that's ever about to happen to me, right?! yeah, yeah, sure, sure

Welcome new friends and lovely to see others returning!

I am not very woohoo today

You may not be feeling it - but I think they are great woohoos :-)

So the retreat I've been dreading is this weekend. I am trying to turn that frown upside down so to speak. It could be the best thing that's ever about to happen to me, right?! yeah, yeah, sure, sure

Good luck - hopefully the weekend will fly by and you will be home before you know it :-)

Topic Thursday

Taking some inspiration from some posts this week.... lets share a favourite healthy recipe - it might help us to try something new that becomes an old favorite

OMG - I was just about to post the topic of the day when I could hear my neighbour outside and then she banged on my door - I opened to find her with a broom and serval other neighbours trying to shuffle a BIG snake away from our townhouses - it had to be at least 1.5 metres long!!!! It is not as far as I would like it to be, it went into a tree 6 houses down :scared1::scared1: One of the neighbours said they had one in their back yard earlier this week. We back onto a little nature reserve - I have been here a year and had not seen any yet! The is construction going on in areas near us where they have knocked down bush - so they have probably moved on from their old habitat - but I don't want them in mine! We are a little sad about them knocking down so many trees in the area as they are taking away Kangaroo habitat. This will make you think of the typical Australia but where we are Kangaroos are regular visitors at my kids school and the University next door - but their numbers are getting less due to habitat loss :sad1:

Taking some inspiration from some posts this week.... lets share a favourite healthy recipe - it might help us to try something new that becomes an old favorite

I often do baked Salmon - 425° for 22 minutes.

I line the baking sheet with foil for easy clean up, and spray it with a little Pam. You can use any glaze you like. I've bought a jarred mango one, used honey mustard and crushed nuts on top, etc.

But the most common one I do is:
olive oil
fat free balsamic salad dressing
a little jarred garlic
a squeeze of lemon juice

I don't really measure, just whisk those things up in a bowl and brush it on before putting the fish in the oven.

(Oh, one more tip - when I buy it at the deli counter, I ask them to take the skin off for me. :crazy2:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter