Festival of the Lion King to close in January

I thought Avatar land wasn't set to break ground until 2015? Why on earth would they need to shut down FOTLK in early 2013, if so?

Hoping this is just a rumor, and that any closing will be delayed and very temporary.

Given that FOTLK is such a huge draw for AK, I'm really puzzled that they would close this show for an indeterminate time before building a new theatre to house it. Surely it would make more sense to build the new theatre first?

Since nobody else has mentioned this...

How do we know this is actually going to happen?
We don't. I've seen this rumor on couple of different Disney blogs and planning sites, but nothing confirmed yet. I suspect they will move FOTLK, and even shut it down for a short period of time to move it to a new location/theater due to the Avatar construction, but I highly doubt it will be closed for too long.

So, when they were looking at the AK map to find a place for Avatarland, did someone accidentally put their coffee cup on top of Dinoland? How else was Dinoland spared?

There is a HUGE expansion pad behind Camp Minnie-Mickey. It was where Beastly Kingdom was originally supposed to go. Camp Minnie-Mickey wasn't even in the original design plan, and was sort of put in as a placeholder when BK was "delayed" until after opening. It stayed put when BK was finally "cancelled".

FOTLK, really, is the only good reason (other than meet and greets, I guess) to visit that part of the park. I can understand why they might want to move the show to make way for something with (you'd hope) more drawing power. That being said: Shuttering it, if that's what they do, while they create a new theater for it out in Africa, is just a bad idea. It cuts one more thing off of AK's already somewhat limited slate of appealing shows and attractions.

For us, FOTLK or Nemo always is what we do right after lunch, before we leave the park for the day.

I thought Avatar land wasn't set to break ground until 2015? Why on earth would they need to shut down FOTLK in early 2013, if so?

Hoping this is just a rumor, and that any closing will be delayed and very temporary.
I think it's all specualation at this point. I heard the Avatar "land"/attraction would open in 2014. It also seems like the Avatar "land" has been blown a bit out of proportion. I think this will be a small area that will house one feature attraction, a couple of lesser attracations, maybe a meet-n-greet and a gift shop.

FOLK is the only reason we go to AK!!!!!!! I wonder how attendance will be affected for this stupid decision!!!! Only time will tell, but I can tell you, we probably won't go back after our two trips this year. I'd rather pay a bit more and add Water Parks!

Since nobody else has mentioned this...

How do we know this is actually going to happen?

We don't.

Screamscape gets it wrong almost as often as they get it right...so we can all take some solace in that.

That being said: It DOES have to move, at some point, to make way for Pandora. The timing would seem about right (most of FLE finished and opened, slower season) for the next construction project to start.

I'd be shocked if they just shuttered it for 6 months to a year while building a new theater. I guess it would depend on how easy it is to relocate the set pieces to a new building, quickly. If they have to build the theater AROUND the set pieces (as in, they don't "plug" in and out).....maybe they have no choice but to do things this way.

I am very much hoping this is a rumor. I LOVE this show and it's a must do every single trip. It will be on my must do this upcoming trip for sure. The powers that be better find it a new home and ASAP!

I think it's all specualation at this point. I heard the Avatar "land"/attraction would open in 2014. It also seems like the Avatar "land" has been blown a bit out of proportion. I think this will be a small area that will house one feature attraction, a couple of lesser attracations, maybe a meet-n-greet and a gift shop.

Articles I've read say grounbreaking in 2013, opening in 2016 (that was back in September, 2011). Here's one of them:

http://travel.usatoday.com/alliance...1/09/Walt-Disney-World-Resort-Update/548890/1

IF the budget is really only 400 million...I agree about size. That's about 1/2 of what Cars Land cost Disney.

Well dang it! We saw it on our first trip and loved it. Plus my daughter was picked to participate at the end. We ran out of time on our last trip (had to get to an ADR) and dd just said, “No problem. We can just see it next time”.

Hmmm…early 2013 ds turns 3 and dd turns 10, free dining extended to 12/20, now one of our favorite shows possibly closing for an undetermined amount of time starting in January. Reasons just keep piling up to sneak back down there in December. Not like I needed any motivation but still.

Well dang it! We saw it on our first trip and loved it. Plus my daughter was picked to participate at the end. We ran out of time on our last trip (had to get to an ADR) and dd just said, “No problem. We can just see it next time”.

Hmmm…early 2013 ds turns 3 and dd turns 10, free dining extended to 12/20, now one of our favorite shows possibly closing for an undetermined amount of time starting in January. Reasons just keep piling up to sneak back down there in December. Not like I needed any motivation but still.

Don't forget the official opening of the new Fantasyland in early December (the 6th).

Speculation is correct. There is no way avatarland would open in 2014, when it is taking 2+ years just to build one attraction in MK(snow white mine ride). Unless this is going to be very small, and considering no detailed plans have been announced, or starting construction dates been released, I would guess you are looking easily at 2015 or beyond.

Don't forget the official opening of the new Fantasyland in early December (the 6th).

:lmao: How could I have forgotten that one. Just what I needed. Another reason to add to the list. And there's another I didn't list in my last post. Our first trip was late November 2010 and we've been wanting to see the lights again ever since. :scratchin

Not thrilled that a show that was pure fun is being removed (hopefully not permanently) to make way for a morality message on conservation. I hope Avatar has some shows (without the heavy message stuff)

Not saying whether the rumor is valid or not, but I did read yesterday that they are moving the Camp Minnie Mickey characters to a rethemed Beastly Bazaar building. I didn't catch the date, or pay much attention to whether that was announced by Disney or also a rumor.

Beastly Bazaar is closing August 12 so that seems to be true. I think it was announced back in June that it would become a meet and greet area.

This is making me rethink my plans for my October trip! Now I want to go to AK and see FotLK.

Festival of the Lion King is supposed to be moving to a spot in Africa. I would assume being such a popular show, they would not just let it sit idle without having it's new spot in Africa built. It will have to move though to make way for Pandora, which won't be finished until 2015-2016, but groundbreaking is likely next year.

Best show in AK...I've seen it for the past three years and the same actors have been there since I first saw it. Doest this mean they are all unemployed?

:sad:The film The Lion King is not one of my favorites (I have seen it all of two times!) but I adore FOTLK! I never miss it, and last June I took my sister's family where the developmentally delayed 12 year old got picked to lead the audience in Lion sounds, and the Autistic 6 year old laughed and engaged throughout the entire performance. I usually tear up at this show anyway, but now it holds a very special place in my heart.

I am thankful that I have two more trips to WDW planned before the proposed closing date.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter