Final details GS swap

WDWMom said:
I would like to know what kind of GS you all have at home. Deb, Franne and I have cadette's/seniors. What about everyone else?

We are second year Brownies. We will stay this way for one more year.

The other piece of that whole name game thing is that originally the Studio 2B was introduced as an "option" to the traditional program. However, if you've taken a look at the requirements for Silver and Gold you'll see that the 2B requirements are replacing the traditional IPPs for the Cadette/Senior level.

Deb

FantasticDisFamily said:
The other piece of that whole name game thing is that originally the Studio 2B was introduced as an "option" to the traditional program. However, if you've taken a look at the requirements for Silver and Gold you'll see that the 2B requirements are replacing the traditional IPPs for the Cadette/Senior level.

Deb

That is why we started our silver award ASAP before the changes came into place. I knew the changes were taking place and we started the month before putting us under the old requirements. Pat on the back for me. :cheer2:
Unfortunately, when we start the gold in a year we are going to have the use the new ones.

Yep, stuck with the new ones on the Gold - although the girls are making the best of it. And it is really interesting to see how they have "learned" to read for the intent rather than letter of the requirement. :confused3

Deb

I'm glad you got them. And I'm glad you think they are cute. I was so worried about that.

I'm very involved with my council and all the changes that have gone on because I'm a trainer. Maybe it's different with each council but our girls are not "required" to change over. They can incorporate Studio 2B into their programs, they don't have to totally change over. Also, it was my understanding that Gold and Silver Award was incorporating either IPP's OR Studio 2B or a little of both. Frankly, Studio 2B is MUCH easier to do than all the IPP requirements.

And I agree on who they did the study with, they didn't hit older girls as much as the "junior high" aged girls because that's where they are dropping. If they drop at the Cadette/Senior level it's because of other reasons - family reasons, needing to get a job, etc. The whole idea was to keep girls interested. And I feel that the study should have targeted smaller towns/councils as well as large councils. I have a feeling they targeted larger councils.

As far as the uniforms, our council didn't require (they don't require uniforms to begin with) anyone to change over if they were in the middle of a year. And when I do trainings, it is Advisors for Girls Ages 11-17 but to me, it's Cadette/Senior training. I just can't make that change. And the girls are still Cadettes and Seniors in my mind!!!! :)

Sorry to have hijacked the thread as well.

Oh and what level - I have an ending year Cadette who will be considered a Senior in October (June in our eyes). And she is doing her CIT this summer - she is very excited. Didn't do her silver but we are going to begin on the Gold Requirements in the fall. BUT....I have TONS of girl scout scrapbooking to do so I will take anything for any level - I'd be happy to be the last person to send to so that those that have younger troops can have "first dibs" so-to-speak (and those that have started scrapbooking pages too).

Cruise04 - yea, it was SUPPOSED to be optional. But if you pull up the requirements on Gold from the official site you'll see it isn't. There is some FAQ info that would tend to suggest there is some flexibility but when I checked with our staff person responsible for "older girls" she said that the flexibility is for the changeover but if we START after the new requirements are published and take effect (which was official with the start of this Scout year - so last Oct) girls are required to use the NEW requirements. Off the record she indicated that there was a pretty "strong" communication from national in this regard. The very first requirement is to "purchase and review" the 2B Gold booklet (yea at $9.99 a pop!) to determine your plan of action! The cost of the 2B materials is one of the beefs my girls have with it. Each little "achievement" booklet is $5! Where the whole Senior Handbook was $9.95 and the IPP book which works for Cadettes & Seniors was about the same. We invoked the "don't let finances get in the way of girls participating" caveat and made copies - which I did have permission from my council people to do so don't anyone start flaming me for plagiarism please. My students know how adamant I am on that subject.

Besides cost, it is EXACTLY that the Studio 2B stuff is easier that my girls hate it! Specific comments included - so what skills do we actually build reading booklets and filling in blanks? Too much like school? And ya gotta love this one...if it is easy ANYONE can do so how does that make it a great accomplishment?

Now, I know not everyone can do it, and for my troop of 8 we're betting that 4 will actually meet all of the requirements. But if this is what girls are seeing/perceiving (and it really doesn't matter what we think as leaders - oops sorry, advisors) then they are going to lose their pride and sense of belongingness that is critical. I've talked with adults all over the country on this and the responses from the girls are pretty much the same - they don't like it.

My girls will survive and get through as they are a pretty cohesive group with many plans for their high school Scouting years. I hope this doesn't end up hurting retention in the core base for the future though. Boy Scouts is about 5-7 years ahead of GS on this curve (as with so many other things) and they are back to the very traditional program.

Ok, getting off my soapbox now. Sorry, this is a fairly passionate issue for me.
Deb

I'm very glad that you are passionate about it Deb. It's those that are passionate that truly end up being heard. I do know that there were changes from National several time even up to November on the Gold and Silver award changes. They must not have bothered to make sure the trainers were fully up to date. Which stinks in my opinion but I'll push to get the requirements and we'll then get them - which also stinks.

I agree - those that think it's too easy are the ones that really like the challenge that girl scouts can offer - the IPP's. The Studio 2B was designed to keep girls in rather than lose them and the ones that were being lost were the ones that thought girl scouting was too hard and it was too much like school - having to do research, having to look this up, having to accomplish this, etc. But the nice thing about 2B is that if some girls want to do it, they can and if the others don't, they don't have to. And if they see one charm they want to do, they can and if they see a badge or IPP they want to do, they can. Troops don't have to choose doing IPP's or choose doing 2B, they can do both.

To anyone whose girls might want to check out 2B and what it's about - see if your council, they don't always tell the leaders this so that's why I'm suggesting this - as a Service Unit Manager I made sure the leaders knew but they weren't "advertising" this, has a set of books available to check out. That way you aren't investing the $10 per book and then the girls decide it's not for them. Our council has several kits that leaders and trainers can check out as well as the video that comes along with them.

I'm not trying to advertise 2B as something that girls SHOULD try, I'm just trying to offer an alternative if they are intersted and want to check it out.

I think it's awesome that there are several of you here whose girls have made it to Cadettes and Seniors.

Thanks Cruise04, I know our council doesn't have a set, in fact when we asked about the training for this next level - no one was even sure if there was another level of training with the change.

So my co-leader and I just keep plugging along doing what seems best for our girls - listening and responding to what they are asking for. And since we have a troop of 8 (unheard of for the most part at this levels) that meets just about every week through the school year and sometimes even through the summer....with half our girls in the Honor Scout unit...well when we're talking retention the numbers shout so they pretty much leave us alone! HA! HA!

Deb

Well if you ever have any questions, please feel free to pm me and if I can't find it in my training materials, I can ask someone at council without letting them know I'm trying to find out for someone outside of our council. I'm more than happy to help out fellow leaders any way I can!!!!

And, please, really, give your 8 girls a pat on the back from me!!!! I do truly think it's awesome that they still want to be involved!!!!!! :cheer2: :cheer2:

I am still waiting for one more package. Hopefully it will be in Monday's mail. I am going to start swapping out items, o I will just need to swap the last one when it get here. I'll let everyone know when they are mailed.

:blush: My apologies, ladies, my package went in the mail today instead of as planned. It was not a good week at work :sad2: and I didn't get near the Post Office. I'm sorry that I've held up the swap. Next time it's going out early!

Jeanne

Not a problem with me scrapcreator. We all have things that come up, me included. Totally understandable!

All packages have arrived. I was at the PO this morning (before the mail came) and I picked up the envelopes. I will address and swap items tonight if all goes well. Then I will mail tomorrow. Great work ladies. If things do not go as planned, I'll let you all know.

Packages went to the PO today. Took them there myself. Please let me know when you receive it. If I did anything wrong or anything was missing let me know.

This was fun and I am glad it was small. Not sure how Cyndi does it with 20+ gals in a swap. She must be super organized.

Thank you so much for all your work WDWMom (and patience with me)!!!!! I can't wait to see what I got.

WDWMom said:
Packages went to the PO today. Took them there myself. Please let me know when you receive it. If I did anything wrong or anything was missing let me know.

This was fun and I am glad it was small. Not sure how Cyndi does it with 20+ gals in a swap. She must be super organized.

Hah ! I wish......but thanks for the confidence. I hope someone post picture's. Neither of my girls were girl scouts, but I love swaps and always looking for new ideas. I'm sure you ladies will love your stuff when it come's in.

Cyndi princess:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter