First Trip to Hawaii / Aulani - Our Trip Report

Just wanted to note that we had the same problem with United changing our seats without telling us. We were travelling with a child and found they had moved one of us out of an aisle seat "for operational reasons". On the flight the seat ended up being empty. It made no sense and I never was able to get an explanation from them. I try to avoid United now when possible!

I’ll admit that there were several bittersweet moments in our last hours at Aulani. It was a wonderful home for the ten nights we were there, and I started to notice some of the things I'd miss. For example, the last time we were in the lagoon, pools and hot tub, when we left our room with the awesome view and when pulling away from the lobby the last time.

I am not an overemotional person and rarely cry but when I am leaving Hawaii to come back to Toronto I always get tears in my eyes. I think this is part of why we just keep coming back...

Delta did the same thing to us. They tried to split us all over the plane, and we weren't going to give up our aisle seats or sitting with our kids. Like you, I had been among the first 10 seats booked in that flight--at over $1000 each. Being nice was getting me nowhere, so I ended up saying I'd basically be the next one posting on YouTube wile being dragged off the plane. They finally got us an acceptable arrangement. I just hate flying now--pay a premium and get treated like they're doing us a favor by taking our money.

Anyway, really enjoyed your writing style and the great pics. Makes me miss it terribly, though! Glad you had such an enjoyable trip :)

I have loved your trip report. Are you a writer of some sort? I love your style of writing and the details. It has made me so excited for our trip in July.

I won't fly united anymore for just that reason. I have NEVER had a situation where they didn't change a seat of someone in our group. The last time, they went to a larger plane, with two center aisles and they took away my husband's aisle seat. It made no sense. He had an aisle seat. They added a whole new aisle, and yet they stuck him in a middle seat.

Aulani Arrival
Tuesday, January 9, 2018 (continued)

The next destination was Aulani. All I can say is wow. For me, it was everything I had hoped. We pulled up and the valet attendant showed us where to leave the car while they started unloading everything and we got checked in. We were all given leis and glasses of water. Then we walked inside and started admiring the beauty of the lobby. Disney’s attention to detail never ceases to amaze me. Of course we also started taking pictures. Of everything.

Views from out front:
View attachment 298399

The lobby:
View attachment 298398

View attachment 298400

I had requested a high-floor room xx50 through DVC member services. I also completed online check-in 10 days out. We were assigned room 1450 and could not have picked a better room for what we wanted. The view was amazing. We were able to hear the music from The Olelo Room when we were on the balcony. I probably underestimated the walk between the elevator and our room, but it wasn’t too bad. I would absolutely make the same request if I did things over.

Views from the balcony:
View attachment 298397

View attachment 298403

Bell services arrived soon after we got to the room. I was surprised they fit everything on one cart – they are good at space management! While Brad took pictures and videos of the room I went down and moved the car to the self-park garage.

The room:
View attachment 298405
View attachment 298404

We started some unpacking and just relaxed until we decided it was time for dinner. The plan was to hit Monkeypod across the street. Originally Brad was going to grab an OpenTable reservation, but when he checked they weren’t showing reservations available for another hour. We called and they said they could seat us inside downstairs immediately. We decided that was fine and headed over. Since it had been a long day, we drove over rather than walking.

Dinner was very good. I think if we didn’t have so many other places to eat we would have gone back to Monkeypod for another meal. The convenience of being just across the street is a definite bonus.

Monkeypod dinner:
View attachment 298407

After dinner we went back to the room and I'm pretty sure everyone was asleep soon.

Next... Our first full day on Oahu.

WOW! Amazing views from your room! We've been 3 times and were on top floor, opposite tower each time. I think we'll be making this "highest floor xx50" room request next time though! Absolutely beautiful.

Thanks for the trip report! LOVED IT. I'm booked for my first Aulani visit in June 2018 and can't wait. Will certainly be using your report for ideas.

Just LOVED This report!!!! I am flying first class on Hawiian TO HNL but taking Delta first class HOME. Our trip is in July - when should I start checking to see if our seats were moved? I did not book the flights, DH did. So when we login we are shown we have a seat assigned to us, the ones we pick. Will it just show a DIFFERENT number if we are reassigned or simply no seat at all? I am, like you, a crazy overanalyzer and this would really throw me if it happened.......

Our trip is in July - when should I start checking to see if our seats were moved? I did not book the flights, DH did. So when we login we are shown we have a seat assigned to us, the ones we pick. Will it just show a DIFFERENT number if we are reassigned or simply no seat at all? I am, like you, a crazy overanalyzer and this would really throw me if it happened.......
Its highly unlikely that your seats will change. However, it could happen. Rather than stress about it just check at most once a week. If you see a different seat (or none at all) then you can decide if the new seats are to your liking. If not (or no seat) just call Delta and they will fix it.

I loved your report! Thanks so much for writing it. (I even stole Brad's photo collage idea for my trip report. My husband thanks you. So much easier to post!). I also LOVED all the Pam/Dave stuff. We travel with my dad and the similarities kept me smiling the whole time.

I am definitely going to do Oahu Private Tours next trip. For the North Shore, did you get any swimming time? My son will demand that! Thanks again.

Thank you for posting your trip report. I really enjoyed reading it. Your writing style really makes it enjoyable to read. It was like we were there right alongside of you, Brad, Pam & Dave!

I am not an overemotional person and rarely cry but when I am leaving Hawaii to come back to Toronto I always get tears in my eyes. I think this is part of why we just keep coming back...

Same...last time I left, the passenger next to me kept asking if I was ok... :rolleyes2

Thank you for this trip report and the beautiful pictures, I loved it! We just booked our first trip for this November and are so excited. Your info really helped and I have a list of things I need to look into now. Thanks!

Just wanted to note that we had the same problem with United changing our seats without telling us. We were travelling with a child and found they had moved one of us out of an aisle seat "for operational reasons". On the flight the seat ended up being empty. It made no sense and I never was able to get an explanation from them. I try to avoid United now when possible!

Delta did the same thing to us. They tried to split us all over the plane, and we weren't going to give up our aisle seats or sitting with our kids. Like you, I had been among the first 10 seats booked in that flight--at over $1000 each. Being nice was getting me nowhere, so I ended up saying I'd basically be the next one posting on YouTube wile being dragged off the plane. They finally got us an acceptable arrangement. I just hate flying now--pay a premium and get treated like they're doing us a favor by taking our money.

I won't fly united anymore for just that reason. I have NEVER had a situation where they didn't change a seat of someone in our group. The last time, they went to a larger plane, with two center aisles and they took away my husband's aisle seat. It made no sense. He had an aisle seat. They added a whole new aisle, and yet they stuck him in a middle seat.

On some level it helps to hear I’m not alone in frustrating airline encounters. But it’s disappointing to hear, see and experience how airlines treat passengers and is unfortunate that many airlines continue to get worse rather than improving their customer focus. But we are stuck with them, and they know it...

I couldn't agree more!

Anyway, really enjoyed your writing style and the great pics. Makes me miss it terribly, though! Glad you had such an enjoyable trip :)

Thank you! We've enjoyed sharing our experience and also miss it terribly. And it's been less than two months since we were there!

I have loved your trip report. Are you a writer of some sort? I love your style of writing and the details. It has made me so excited for our trip in July.
Thank you! Nope, I am not a writer but tried to adopt the format and style of other trip reports that I have enjoyed reading. Have a great time in July and come back to share highlights of your trip with everyone!

Hi! just love this post okay....... tell me exactly where to get those cookies!
I'm glad you've enjoyed reading about our adventure! The Honolulu Cookie company has numerous store fronts around the island, but the cookies are available at many stores, including the Aulani gift shop.

WOW! Amazing views from your room! We've been 3 times and were on top floor, opposite tower each time. I think we'll be making this "highest floor xx50" room request next time though! Absolutely beautiful.

I definitely loved our view, not that I've seen too many bad ones at Aulani though!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter