First Trip to Hawaii / Aulani - Our Trip Report

Thanks for the trip report! LOVED IT. I'm booked for my first Aulani visit in June 2018 and can't wait. Will certainly be using your report for ideas.

Thanks for following. I'm sure you will love it when you visit. As I've encouraged others, come back and share your experience - it helps people planning a trip (for some there is no such thing as too much information!) and for those of use without another trip planned we get to experience it again!

Just LOVED This report!!!! I am flying first class on Hawiian TO HNL but taking Delta first class HOME. Our trip is in July - when should I start checking to see if our seats were moved? I did not book the flights, DH did. So when we login we are shown we have a seat assigned to us, the ones we pick. Will it just show a DIFFERENT number if we are reassigned or simply no seat at all? I am, like you, a crazy overanalyzer and this would really throw me if it happened.......

Yes, if the airline changes your seat you will either see a different seat assignment or no seat assigned when you log in to their website. As OKW Lover said, check periodically and don’t stress too much about it.

My experience, and the responses above, demonstrate that changes can happen, and unfortunately most passengers don’t have much leverage with the airlines. Hopefully you will have better luck than many of us and not have any issues!

Have an awesome trip!

I loved your report! Thanks so much for writing it. (I even stole Brad's photo collage idea for my trip report. My husband thanks you. So much easier to post!). I also LOVED all the Pam/Dave stuff. We travel with my dad and the similarities kept me smiling the whole time.

I am definitely going to do Oahu Private Tours next trip. For the North Shore, did you get any swimming time? My son will demand that! Thanks again.

Thanks! Yes, the collages seemed to work well for getting more than ten pics in a post. I've been enjoying your trip report (especially jealous with your route getting to Aulani!). Unfortunately, I have some catching up to do on your last posts.

One of the stories that I think we forgot to share was after I came back to the room one evening and Pam was asleep in the living room chair. Brad was in the bedroom doing something and I asked if we wore out his parents. He was confused and I said his mom was sound asleep and he said, no she isn't I was talking to her literally a minute ago. He didn't believe me until he went and checked for himself.

For Oahu Private Tours, they offer sightseeing, activity and hybrid tours. I imagine the hybrid would be your best bet to incorporate a balance of sights and swimming.

Thank you for posting your trip report. I really enjoyed reading it. Your writing style really makes it enjoyable to read. It was like we were there right alongside of you, Brad, Pam & Dave!

Thank you so much! I received so much great information from other's that I'm happy to share our trip.

Thank you for this trip report and the beautiful pictures, I loved it! We just booked our first trip for this November and are so excited. Your info really helped and I have a list of things I need to look into now. Thanks!
Congratulations on booking your trip! You will have a great time, I'm sure.

Menehune and Hidden Animals

Brad and I enjoy finding hidden Mickey’s at the parks and on the cruise ships. In fact, we have hidden Mickey books for Disney World and Disney Cruise Line and we check off the ones we’ve found, then document them in a photo album on Brad’s phone. For us, Menehune are almost an extension of hidden Mickey’s. For anyone not familiar with them, in Hawaiian mythology, Menehune are shy, mischievous people, hence why they are always hiding in strange places. This is another example of how Disney incorporated local culture into Aulani.

Once you start looking, the Menehune are everywhere and Brad enjoyed photographing the ones we saw. Just don’t ask us to identify where we found some of them!

Here are a few that we found (including one still decorated for the holidays):

IMG_0282.JPG

IMG_0283.JPG

They have a tablet that can be checked out so you may follow the guided Menehune trail, which we ended up not doing. This may be targeted for kids, but we saw some adults doing it without kids, and wish we had done it!

There are many hidden animals etched into the concrete throughout the pool area. This is something that surprised me; apparently I missed the extent of this in my pre-trip research. I’d describe it as comparable to the Animal Kingdom Tree of Life, just less concentrated. Since there is a lot of concrete in the pool areas, the animals are a lot more spread out. It was neat when lifeguards pointed out some of them along the lazy river.

Clockwise from top: whale (that occasionally shoots water), swordfish, surgeonfish (we think that's what it is... it looks like Dory), Maui's hook (not an animal but still fun), random fish, chameleon. P.S. Brad was annoyed at the difficulty photographing some of these!
IMG_0284.JPG

Dining Summary

In this section, I’ll offer some final thoughts on our dining experiences as well as some comparisons. Some of this will be a repeat of what I’ve already shared, but this post offers an abbreviated version. If you are jumping into this trip report here, more detail on the restaurants is provided in the previous posts, as well as pictures. I’ve provided some cost ranges based on our experiences, which included tips. To offer some context on these figures, typically we each had one to two adult beverages and we usually shared a couple appetizers or desserts.

Our Hawaii trip was a wonderful culinary experience. As Brad and I were working on this trip report we struggled with how often we used the words amazing, excellent, great, awesome, etc. But we simply couldn’t find enough other words to accurately reflect our opinions. I fully admit that it is easy to be in a different mindset while on vacation and potentially have rose-colored glasses. However, so many of our Hawaii meals stood out even when comparing to comparable meals on other vacations.

The views and environment, as well as the more relaxed culture, are factors that contribute to the experience. My best example of this is Ama Ama. It is a solid restaurant but when evaluating food alone, we could name restaurants in Chicago that are just as good, if not better. But when I factor in the view and location, it is no longer an even comparison. Also, when we consider the knowledge and passion many of the employees offer, it sets Ama Ama further apart.

Let’s start with Aulani meals. Since I just mentioned Ama Ama, I’ll start there. We had three great meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) at Ama Ama. If I were to rank them, breakfast was the best in terms of food and value. Lunch was next, followed by dinner. If budget allows, I would suggest everyone staying at Aulani try to eat at Ama Ama at least once.

For Makahiki we enjoyed both the breakfast and dinner buffets. The food offerings were diverse and tasted very good. You are obviously paying a Disney-premium, but we still felt it was worth what we paid. Brad and I agree breakfast was a slightly better value, but dinner had more diverse options. We would happily eat there again for either meal.

We had two poolside lunches at Aulani - one from the adult cabana and the other from the executive lanai. Both were very good, and obviously convenient. These meals could be considered a splurge since they don’t represent the best monetary value, but for convenience and truly feeling like you are on vacation they were just what we wanted.

The luau was our other Aulani dining experience and it was wonderful. Since it was the only luau we attended, I can’t offer a comparison to others, but I highly recommend it. It has all the historical and cultural attributes with a touch of Disney influence.

Next I’ll offer thoughts on what I consider ‘counter service’ meals. These all had walk-up service where you place your order at a counter and then seat yourself. Each of these was around $15-20 per person. The three places we went that fall in this category were the food trucks in Haleiwa, Ono Steak and Shrimp Shack and Nico’s Pier 38. It’s a bit difficult to compare these since they were very different. Nico’s was my favorite, but it was also the largest and most ‘commercial’ of the three. Ono’s was very good and we beat the rush so we didn’t have a problem finding a table and it was a short wait for our food, but it got busier while we were there. We were happy to experience the food trucks in Haleiwa, but these would probably be the one I’d be least likely to visit again. Parking was a bit of a hassle (luckily I wasn’t driving!) and it took the longest to get our food there. However, there are food trucks all over the island and perhaps this was just our experience with this location, or a busier day.

We visited three restaurants for lunch that I consider casual dining. Kona Brewing Company, Honolulu Beerworks and Haleiwa Joe’s are each places where you are seated and have a server, but are pretty laid back. Each of these meals was approximately $30 per person. I don’t think I can rank them easily – they were all so different but all were very enjoyable. For these, I’d say location is the best deciding factor based on where you are on the island when venturing away from Aulani.

Monkeypod and Beach House were mid-level dinners. These locations are also relatively laid back, but can be a longer meal experience. I’d put these on par with table service restaurants at Disney World. For these meals we spent $55-60 per person. Both were great meals. Beach house was probably my favorite of the two for food and setting. Being located by a beach with the setting sun is hard to beat. However, Monkeypod’s proximity to Aulani gives it an edge. Again, I’d say if you are near Haleiwa, consider Beach House, but if you are not venturing too far from Aulani, go to Monkeypod. Or try to visit both!

Lastly, are the splurge meals, which I’d consider most comparable to signature dining at Disney World. We landed on Roy's at Ko’Olina, Hoku’s at the Kahala Resort and Michel’s at the Colony Surf for our ‘dress-up’ meals. Most of these don’t have an strict dress code beyond the typical, no swimwear, tank tops, etc. Each of these was between $80-120 per person. I should mention that our Ama Ama dinner also came in around this price point (I underestimated that one a bit while budgeting), but I kept it in the Aulani group rather than here. Hoku’s was a definite winner for brunch and Brad and I would like to try dinner there. Michel’s was a great meal, but it was the most ‘traditional’ in terms of it feeling more like a French restaurant in both menu and décor, and felt the least Hawaiian, with the exception of it’s beach-side location. Roy’s was a great meal and conveniently located near Aulani. This group was also difficult for us to rank as we really enjoyed them all and they each offered something unique. In the end, I’d say Hoku’s, followed by Roy’s and then Michel’s. Brad considers Michel’s and Roy’s a tie behind Hoku’s. But it really does depend on what you are seeking (i.e. a romantic dinner offering a rich, savory menu, a local menu that is well-executed, a memorable dining experience blending environment and menu offerings) and you likely won’t go wrong with any of them. Throwing Ama Ama in this category, if we were only going to have one higher-end dinner, and didn’t want to venture too far from Aulani, I’d choose to walk to Roy’s.

There are many hidden animals etched into the concrete throughout the pool area. This is something that surprised me; apparently I missed the extent of this in my pre-trip research
Somehow I missed it as well....?? But we SO enjoyed hunting for them. There were a few (and a few menehune too) that I had to try to photograph multiple times (yeah YOU, little dude in the sailing canoe!), but another lap in the lazy river wasn't such a bad thing! I missed that menehune hanging upside down from the Lava Shack! Did you see the one in the lobby that follows you?? That was awesome...although it creeped my DD out LOL! Sigh......I miss it so much! Thanks for letting me relive it through your report!

Somehow I missed it as well....?? But we SO enjoyed hunting for them. There were a few (and a few menehune too) that I had to try to photograph multiple times (yeah YOU, little dude in the sailing canoe!), but another lap in the lazy river wasn't such a bad thing! I missed that menehune hanging upside down from the Lava Shack! Did you see the one in the lobby that follows you?? That was awesome...although it creeped my DD out LOL! Sigh......I miss it so much! Thanks for letting me relive it through your report!

What?!! There is a menehune that follows you in the lobby? I definitely missed seeing that. Where in the lobby is he hiding?

Missed Dining Opportunities

I know it's a bit odd to include places we didn't go in a trip report, but I figured I would share anyway...

During our planning, we had a rather lengthy list of restaurants we considered. We created our schedule by balancing our highest priorities with available meal slots. We did restrict ourselves to three meals a day, not including snacks and beverages!! There were several places that we kept on an optional list to incorporate, if time allowed. Ultimately, most of these remained on the to-do list at the end of our trip. Here are places we considered but did not end up experiencing this trip:
  • Matsumoto Shave Ice
  • Ulu Café at Aulani
  • Pizza Corner
  • Assaggio
  • KuruKuru
  • Plantation Tavern
  • Alan Wong’s Honolulu
Even though we didn’t try Matsumoto Shave Ice, we were very pleased with Waiola Shave Ice and what was available at Papalua (at Aulani). Matsumoto’s was an easy one to take or leave since there were other options.

It’s not listed above, but I’ll repeat that even though we visited Leonard’s Bakery food truck on our first tour day, I consider the fact we didn’t get back for a second visit a missed opportunity! Leonard’s absolutely remains on the list for a future trip.

Brad and I stopped in Ulu Café and realized that it was comparable to most other Disney quick-service restaurants. If you don’t have a car, or want something other than what the pool-side menu offers, this would work. But in the end, we skipped Ulu this trip.

For Pizza Corner I’ve seen a mix of reviews. We kept it on the list mostly in case we were too exhausted to last through a meal at Monkeypod on our arrival day. Since we didn’t eat at Pizza Corner, I won’t offer an opinion, but I’ll say that it is not high on the list of places to try.

Assaggio, Kuru Kuru and Plantation Tavern are random restaurants recommendations we heard about at some point while planning. We would probably consider each for a future trip.

Alan Wong’s Honolulu was one of the more expensive restaurants we considered. The menu sounds amazing and I believe it is a meal that could become an experience. It didn’t make the final plan this trip, but is a place we still want to try.

and the one in the key hole of the little desk just behind the front desk! That one is so creative, makes me want to go back...

What?!! There is a menehune that follows you in the lobby? I definitely missed seeing that. Where in the lobby is he hiding?
Yes! He's projected onto a case/stand in the corner of the room where the little kids TV area is. We only saw him at night. The effect reminded md of Haunted Mansion, which I guess is why it was freaky for my DD16 LOL. I took a video but have no clue how to post. You'll just have to go again! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter