• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! An October TR - 12/2 A PTR Link!

New subber here! :) I'm a California girl and I've been to DL tons, but I haven't been to WDW since the 1980s :scared1: and I don't even remember it much :sad2:

Like your situation, I am waaaaaaaay more Disney obsessed than my DH and he tolerates DL. The saving grace is DtD and DCA and all the great places to eat and (ahem) drink :drinking1 Which got me thinking that he would actually love WDW, especially Epcot. So I'm considering our 1st trip (his and DD's, mine as an adult) next year.:thumbsup2 It's still up in the air since I don't have my vacation bid for next year done, but hopefully it will work out. Following along here to get ideas and inspiration!

Andy, you must come to Disneyland someday. I think your kids would love it, and so would you of course.

It could potentially happen within the next couple of years if a few details fall into place. That's why I'm requesting some TR related stuff from those trips too. :rolleyes1

Hey Alicia! My family and I will be at WDW the same week as you (10/6 - 10/12) staying at Bay Lake, maybe our paths will cross, if not, have a great trip!

First, regarding teeth, Dug Baby still has zero! She has some strong jaws/gums, though! :rotfl: What I've heard is that babies can't really use their teeth to chew much until they have quite a few of them. So, his may not be super-functional yet.

As far as the chunkier food, was he actually choking (couldn't breathe, not coughing) or was he gagging (coughing, trying to clear it)? If it was the latter, that's pretty common for babies starting solids, as they have a gag reflex that is really far forward to keep them from choking. Dug Baby did that early on, as she was learning how far back she could put food in her mouth. She seldom does it now, as she seems to have figured out the logistics of putting food in her mouth. She has never choked, though I was nervous about that at first. Two main things with Baby Led Weaning that have been helpful for us are 1.) letting baby feed him/herself (don't force anything into their mouth) and 2.) long strips of food to gnaw on. Actually, I'll add point 3 too: having them eat at the table with you and watch you eat...I've noticed her imitating us lately. I would let Calvin experiment with some longer/bigger things, for example Dug Baby likes big strips of chicken breast, steamed veggies (like broccoli), and soft fruits (like nectarines). Just keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't bite off a big chunk and try to swallow (Dug Baby spits them out if she does this). Or, you could try some things meant for babies that will more-or-less dissolve in his mouth, like the baby cheese puffs (I call them baby Cheetos :) ) He may not consume much at first, but he'll get to experience new flavors and textures. Dug Baby will try anything right now...we couldn't believe she ate Indian food the other night (she especially liked paneer cheese)...we were like, "We could bring her to Sanaa!" As far as what to eat at Disney, I think we'll bring some pouches and snacks as back-ups (she likes to suck down the pouches, even though we never spoon-fed purees), but we'll try to pull things off our plates that might be suitable for her. That's what we do now when we go out. Especially veggies and fruits. I don't think we'll order her her own meals unless she really ups her intake in the next 4 months. We'll see. Sorry for the novel, but if you have more questions, let me know!

ETA: I have heard that with spoon-fed purees, babies get used to swallowing before chewing, but with Baby-Led Weaning, they get used to chewing before swallowing. So, you might have a little transition period if you try it, where he needs to learn to chew/gum things before swallowing. I'm thinking that may be why he has trouble with the chunky carrots...couldn't just suck them down?

Oh - side note - I did see in another TR that Artist Point is surprisingly good for babies, so that's cool!

I can't believe we're almost at a year and they'll be able to drink cow's milk. I'm planning to keep BF at home/pumping at work until a year, then taper off the pumping and just keep BF morning/night, if she's interested. And do cow's milk at daycare. That must be so nice to be done with the pump! I can't wait! On a side note, do you know if WDW has whole milk? I hadn't thought about that until now.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing more about your plans! :goodvibes

Now that I think about it, it's gagging, not choking. I know I should probably start (or should already have started!) doing bigger chunkier foods, it just scares me. I have a huge fear of choking, even always telling DH to take smaller bites, always having drinks with my food, etc. so i'm terrified of giving him big things of anything! I saw Dug Baby in a photo with big, chunky broccoli and it started making me so nervous, even though there was no way she could really choke on it. Would you mind giving me other food ideas? And can you tell me which book you were reading about baby led weaning? When he turned 9 months, we gave him those cereal puffs, the ones that dissolve, and he started gagging and I immediately took them away. What kind of pouches do you like? I'm still making my own baby food, but incorporating meats from pouches from Ella's Kitchen like the beef, chicken, and 4 bean food.

I was looking at a grocery list the other day from AKV just to see what the prices are, and they did have whole milk. I think half a gallon was $3?

Hi Lesha,

Sorry no I've still not made a start on the TR.. really want to start writing it though! All the photos are on photobucket so I'm almost ready to get going :goodvibes

Btw I also meant to comment on Meet the Robinsons.. love that movie! So many fun lines and quotes from it too.. "I have small arms, and a big head... and I don't think you thought this through.... master?!" :rotfl:

Emma princess: x

That is DH's favorite quote! He was just saying it the other day about Calvin's big head:lmao:

I'm here! Yay for food and wine!

I have the same Ewok shirt as you :goodvibes

I also really like Meet the Robinsons, totally underrated. The T-Rex, ha! I haven't seen it for ages though, so I should find it again.

My DH would agree with yours, he's 'meh' about DL, but really loves WDW. Go figure! Cute photo at Carsland, we haven't made it there yet :(

Sounds like a good plan so far. I can't believe Calvin is getting so big and last time you went he was only 2 months.

Hey good to see you! :)

I know he's getting so big. I'm already looking into planning his 1st birthday party :sad2:

New subber here! :) I'm a California girl and I've been to DL tons, but I haven't been to WDW since the 1980s :scared1: and I don't even remember it much :sad2:

Like your situation, I am waaaaaaaay more Disney obsessed than my DH and he tolerates DL. The saving grace is DtD and DCA and all the great places to eat and (ahem) drink :drinking1 Which got me thinking that he would actually love WDW, especially Epcot. So I'm considering our 1st trip (his and DD's, mine as an adult) next year.:thumbsup2 It's still up in the air since I don't have my vacation bid for next year done, but hopefully it will work out. Following along here to get ideas and inspiration!

You MUST get back to WDW asap! Your DH would absolutely love Epcot. Epcot is DH's favorite park because of how much more adult-oriented it is. Hopefully you'll be able to plan a trip next year!

It could potentially happen within the next couple of years if a few details fall into place. That's why I'm requesting some TR related stuff from those trips too. :rolleyes1

Oh yay! :yay:

Hey Alicia! My family and I will be at WDW the same week as you (10/6 - 10/12) staying at Bay Lake, maybe our paths will cross, if not, have a great trip!

Hi there! If you see me around, please say hi! I'm assuming your profile picture is not really you, so I have no idea what you look like :lmao:;)

popcorn:: joining in popcorn::

Hello and welcome! :yay:

I do have a few questions that hopefully you guys can answer for me. Some F&W related and some not.

1) Since we may be renting a car from MCO, where’s a place we can turn the car in on the day we check into BLT? I know Swan/Dolphin has a drop off location. I also read there is a place near MK? Anyone know about this? Figured it would be closer since it’s near BLT.

2) For those that have gone to F&W: For some of the seminars that are held like the cheese tastings or wine tastings, is it a good idea to make reservations? Do they ever take walk ups or is it always at capacity?

3) Where do they sell those F&W passports that I’ve heard about?

4) How hot is it in October? What kind of clothing do we need? Sweaters at night?

5) Which booths are the absolute best? Which foods and drinks are must dos?

I do have a few questions that hopefully you guys can answer for me. Some F&W related and some not.

1) Since we may be renting a car from MCO, where’s a place we can turn the car in on the day we check into BLT? I know Swan/Dolphin has a drop off location. I also read there is a place near MK? Anyone know about this? Figured it would be closer since it’s near BLT.

2) For those that have gone to F&W: For some of the seminars that are held like the cheese tastings or wine tastings, is it a good idea to make reservations? Do they ever take walk ups or is it always at capacity?

4) How hot is it in October? What kind of clothing do we need? Sweaters at night?

1. If you are renting from Alamo or National, you can drop off at the Magic Kingdom Car Care Center and they will shuttle you back to your hotel.

2. Make reservations! They always sell out...I've never seen them take walk ups anymore.

3. The Passports are free and are available at the Festival Center. You don't have to buy anything to get the stamps. :)

4. October is usually pretty nice and I don't need a sweater.

5. I haven't really looked at the menus yet but I am mourning the loss of the Bailey's Lava Cake in Ireland. :)

Jill in CO

1) We've never rented a car at WDW before, but there is a place near MK (The Walt Disney World Car Care). You can pickup and drop off at this location and they provide service to/from your resort.

2) We always book the F&WF events ahead of time. Many of the popular ones sell out well in advance. You will really enjoy them!

3) The passports are booklets that include all of the booths and what each booth has to offer. As you go around to all of the booths, you check off what you've eaten/drank.

4) We've been the 3rd week of October before and we needed light jackets/sweatshirts on a few of the nights. During the day, it was warmer (low 80s).

5) They've changed the menus up a bit since last year, but Canada (LeCellier filet Mignon, cheddar cheese soup) , Italy (ravilolis and canolis) , France(Eiffel Sour Cosmo Slush ), Germany (Apple Strudel with Werther’s Caramel and Vanilla Sauce)& Belgium (Belgian Waffles) were our favorites last year! There are so many booths and food/drink items to choose from you definitely won't go hungry:rotfl:

Checked out your last TR. You and your hubby are so cute:goodvibes

Aww thank you! Your family is adorable too and I can't believe how big Calvin has gotten ( I read your December 2011 TR too). Looking forward to reading this one as well :)

Now that I think about it, it's gagging, not choking. I know I should probably start (or should already have started!) doing bigger chunkier foods, it just scares me. I have a huge fear of choking, even always telling DH to take smaller bites, always having drinks with my food, etc. so i'm terrified of giving him big things of anything! I saw Dug Baby in a photo with big, chunky broccoli and it started making me so nervous, even though there was no way she could really choke on it.
Totally understand! The gagging would make me nervous too. Hopefully he can work through that quickly and get the hang of not putting food too far back in his mouth. I was nervous at first with Dug Baby, but once I saw that she could manage things (spit out or pull out things from her mouth that were too big), I felt a lot better. There have been a couple times where she made us nervous, having some big chunk in her mouth and not getting it out right away and we removed it for her, but I know that's generally a no-no, since you don't want to accidentally push it back further. Have you done an infant CPR class? We did one just before she was born and it helps a bit to know how to handle choking, if it were to happen. I guess the good thing to remember is that the gagging reflex is keeping him from choking on things, so that's positive. And I wouldn't worry about him not self-feeding table food yet. I'm in a little facebook group with other local moms who have babies the same age and some babies are into food and some not. One person actually has identical twin boys and one is all about the table food and the other just gags. So, he'll get it when he gets it, I think.

Would you mind giving me other food ideas? And can you tell me which book you were reading about baby led weaning? When he turned 9 months, we gave him those cereal puffs, the ones that dissolve, and he started gagging and I immediately took them away. What kind of pouches do you like? I'm still making my own baby food, but incorporating meats from pouches from Ella's Kitchen like the beef, chicken, and 4 bean food.
Sure. Just was thinking that peas might be a good one. Too small to choke on and pretty soft. You might want to give those dissolving cereal puffs another shot too, since he won't choke on those (but may gag, as he tries to figure them out). Maybe something like mashed potatoes? We haven't tried that yet, but seems baby-friendly. We did cottage cheese (let her put the spoon in her own mouth and/or pick it up with her fingers)...it was messy, but she liked it. Oh, and Cheerios are always a standby here too. I'm sure there are a lot more things, but just trying to think of good ones to start with.

The book that I used is "The Baby Led Weaning Cookbook" by Gill Rapley & Tracey Murkett. I actually checked it out from the library initially, but then decided I wanted to have the recipes on hand, so I downloaded it onto my iphone. There is also a general baby led weaning book by the same authors, but the cookbook has the same info PLUS the examples, which I liked. Now, we pretty much just feed her whatever, since she does so well. She had some of my crockpot ravioli casserole for dinner tonight and did well (noodles, ground beef, etc.)

For the pouches, I've got mostly the Plum Organics ones, but I know we had some Ella's Kitchen too...those same meat ones...I must have had a coupon! Anyway, we just let her suck straight from the pouch. She usually needs us to squeeze some up when she gets towards the bottom, but otherwise she does it on her own. And she seems to like every flavor so far, so I'm not too picky in what I get. If you have other questions, let me know. I'm so impressed that you make his purees...that's one reason we just did the baby-led weaning from the beginning...I'm too lazy for that, I guess. :rotfl:

I was looking at a grocery list the other day from AKV just to see what the prices are, and they did have whole milk. I think half a gallon was $3?
Great, thank you! That's good to know!

I'll just answer the ones I know about here:

Unless something changed since 2011, they are in the Festival Center (the old Wonders of Life pavilion) and they are free. You can get them stamped at each booth as a souvenir. The other good thing to get there is one of the wristband gift cards, if they're still doing that. Very handy for frequent purchasing.

We haven't been in October, so based on early November, I'd say have a fleece or cardigan with you on the trip, but you may or may not need it. I like to be cozy, so I would probably put it on in the evenings, but that's just me.

Oddly enough, we were just looking at the menu earlier today. Sun Country is running an awesome sale where we could go down there for a few days at the beginning of October for under $200/each round-trip. We probably won't do it, if we have the willpower. But, boy is it tempting. The menu looks great!

Some highlights from past years (we went in 2010 & 2011):

Argentina: Grilled Beef Skewer with Chimichurri Sauce and Boniato Purée
Belgium: Belgian Waffle with Berry Compote featuring Driscoll’s® Berries and Whipped Cream (I also see they have one with Chocolate Ganache this year, which sounds great!)
Also Belgium: Chilled Coffee featuring Godiva Chocolate Liqueur
Canada: I guess you can have a mini Le Cellier meal by getting the cheddar cheese soup and the filet!
France: if you like escargot, Dug says it's good; we both like the Kir and Cosmo Slush for drinks in France
Ireland: Dug loves the Fisherman's Pie. I loved their lava cake dessert, but they changed it to pudding this year. It still has Bailey's, though, so hopefully it's good.

There's a lot of other great stuff too, but there's some highlights. Also, if you haven't already checked it out, disneyfoodblog.com has a lot of good info on the F&W festival.

I can't believe I just found this! I have been doing some serious slacking on the boards lately! I'm here now, and excited to see you have a new trip coming up!

I'm here! I've enjoyed your past TRs (I lurk big time over at the cruise boards) and I always seem to catch your reports after they're over, but I've enjoyed them! I'm glad I caught one right at the beginning this time.

I love me some Food & Wine! You can very easily get 3 meals worth of food there IMO. My favorite items include the cheddar cheese soup and mushroom filet from Canada (obviously!) the Black Pepper Shrimp with Sichuan Noodles from China, the Apple Strudel with Werther's Original Karamel and Vanilla Sauce from Germany, and the Kielbasa and Potato Pierogies with Caramelized Onions and Sour Cream from Poland. (And yes, I did just go down the alphabetical list from wdwinfo.com :thumbsup2) I haven't been since 2011, so there are lots of booths that look good but are new to me! In terms of adult beverages, the apple ice wine from Canada was one of my favorites, but I would honestly recommend sticking to regular Epcot drinks unless you're looking to try something you don't usually, since the portions sizes for the drinks especially are small!

I found that October can vary - some days felt as hot as August and some days I was in jeans and a sweatshirt all day long.

Can't wait till you go!

Hey girl! I'm so excited about this TR. You have to take lots of pictures and give lots of info about the F&W Festival and WDW in October! We are thinking about doing it for the first time next October 2014!

Just found your TR. DW and I will arrive at BCV a week after you leave WDW. Post as soon as you return so I can know what to expect! :rotfl2: This is our 1st time to F&W and MNSSHP! :thumbsup2 Looking forward to your TR.

Here's the thing on that. I priced the same thing for my last trip since we were going to US/IOA, and it was running about $500-700 for three days for the car. Granted we got an SUV instead of a regular car, but to get the car at MCO and return it at WDW added several hundred dollars to the price. I found it more cost effective to actually return the car at MCO a few days into the trip and take ME back to the resort.

You might also consider taking ME to your resort and picking up the car somewhere onsite. I have done that too. There are a number of places where you can get cars. The Car Care center will pick you up from your resort on property. We got ours from the Buena Vista Hotel, I think it was Alamo or Budget. It was just across the street from DTD, so it was easy to do.

2) For those that have gone to F&W: For some of the seminars that are held like the cheese tastings or wine tastings, is it a good idea to make reservations? Do they ever take walk ups or is it always at capacity?.

From what I've heard they hold a few seats for "day of", but you have to get to the Festival Center at park opening time and buy them first thing as there are only a few and they sell out quickly. They also require each person to buy a ticket, I've heard horror stories about what parents think they can let their kids do while they are eating and drinking. Luckily you have your mom who could babysit which you and DH attended.

This totally depends on your tastes. One of my friends that I'm meeting posted her list of which booths she wants to go to and things she wants to eat, and it's completely different than mine. My first year I rated things on a scale of 1 to 5 on how much I wanted to try them and made strategic plans of how to get to each of them and in what order. In the end, we just said, "Do you wanna go left or right?" and hit whatever booths came up, the next day we passed those and started where we left off, or went the other direction.

Alison, how did you schedule DME to go back to WDW after dropping off the car? I need to do this same thing in January. I don't know if I need to say I'm coming in on a flight or call them and set something up over the phone.

Sorry to hijack Alicia.

Alison, how did you schedule DME to go back to WDW after dropping off the car? I need to do this same thing in January. I don't know if I need to say I'm coming in on a flight or call them and set something up over the phone.

Sorry to hijack Alicia.

If you remember from my TR, after we took the roast to the Titanic exhibit, we bought our groceries and checked into our resort. If I remember correctly, they told me to check with the bell desk or whatever section handles DME. They told me not to worry it would be fine.

When I got to MCO no one gave me a hassle about not having a ticket, they just directed me to the AK line and I wwas back at the resort within a couple hours. It took time out of the trip, but I looled at it as it covered the cost of a dinner at Fultons or Narcoosees ffor a few hours hasske.

If you remember from my TR, after we took the roast to the Titanic exhibit, we bought our groceries and checked into our resort. If I remember correctly, they told me to check with the bell desk or whatever section handles DME. They told me not to worry it would be fine.

When I got to MCO no one gave me a hassle about not having a ticket, they just directed me to the AK line and I wwas back at the resort within a couple hours. It took time out of the trip, but I looled at it as it covered the cost of a dinner at Fultons or Narcoosees ffor a few hours hasske.

Thanks so much. I kept meaning to ask you because I did remember you had done this but kept forgetting to ask. I was going to just keep the car but I really don't need it and it saves close to $200 to return it. I'll be driving up from Miami after a cruise so will stop for some groceries, check in and then take the car to MCO. The companies that you can drop off at the car care center are too much for my liking or I'd rent from one of them.

Oh my gosh!! I'm finally caught up and I'm here!!!! :goodvibes

I have not gotten up from this chair for the past 2 1/2 hours as I finished your last TR and got started on this one! Whew! :thumbsup2

I'm not going to remember everything I wanted to comment on (I should've taken notes as I read) but here we go:
-So glad you finally made it to Yachtsman Steak House! I got a littler nervous there for a minute! :rotfl:
-Your family pictures on Dumbo are perfect! It seemed like it was the highlight of your trip. Cherish that memory!
-Hope you had a great time in DL and celebrating your anniversary. Gosh, you guys deserve it after the couple of rough months you had. I hope everyone (especially you!) is doing well now :hug:
-Calvin is huge and so freakin' cute! Oh my gosh he got so big. You're going to have so much fun with him in October. What a great age!

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I'm going to hold off renting a car for now (still hoping my waitlist goes through for the first night at AKV) because now there are two different scenarios we may do, depending on the outcome of the waitlist.

It has been a little hectic the last few days here. On Sunday night, we had the loudest and most frightening thunderstorm ever. It was insanely loud and at one point, I scared the carp out of my poor DH by shutting the window at the exact moment the lightening struck right by our window, which cause me to jump and made him think I got struck by it! :rotfl2: It was terrifying. No sleep that night.

Monday night, everyone in Tulare County lost power anywhere from 5 hours to 12 hours. And it was the hottest day in a very long time. I think around 105. Someone said it was 109 but I don't think it got that hot. And this happened around 5:30 at night which left us sweating and miserable in our home all night, with no breeze from outside. So another sleepless night.

Tuesday night = caught up on sleep! :cool1: And here I am posting a quick update before heading out to dinner.

I wanted to check on flights to see if the fares were any cheaper and they were so I got them changed and got a credit and miles added back to our account. Also, my DM was booked on the wrong flight:eek: Thank god I checked them today and changed it. :scared:

I'm going to buy the Photopass CD this trip and not the Photopass + like last time. Not doing any character meals and i'm sure we could survive without the ride photos. AND they just recently offered 30 5X7 prints for free if your order the regular Photopass CD, so score on that!

Will be back to catch up on everyones TR's later!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter